Ontopic Pop culture questions on the SATs

Should there be pop culture questions on the SATs

• Yes having a wide area of knowledge should be required

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • This isn't Jeopardy. I don't think kids should be tested about who bagged Snooki.

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Doesn't bother me since the young generation is jacked

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I'm don't even know what the SATs are

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Floptical

Doesnt Read Thread Titles
Sep 1, 2006
Rockies
Marklar
₥34,710
I read that they've added pop culture questions to the test. There was a ton of complains that there were reality TV show questions. I think it's BS that they were on there at all. What are your thoughts?

I read that they've added pop culture questions to the test. There was a ton of complains that there were reality TV show questions. I think it's BS that they were on there at all. What are your thoughts?

I agree. Unless it's something that massively influenced our culture, it has no place on an SAT.

I guess but that is a sticky point. I agree with the art aspect but the SAT is to gauge how much you've obtained during your educational training and how it corresponds to the college level requirements for each school. Last time I checked they don't have Reality TV classes in High School. I know they have a ton of bs classes in college but nothing you can major in. At least not at any school that counts and has a SAT requirement to get in.

Current pop culture was pretty much ignored in my High School, though I didn't exactly go to a normal high school to begin with.

Is there an example of these questions? Pop culture could be a good way to get kids into other educational areas, but I don't see the educational value of simply asking who 'the situation' slept with first.

I want to disagree, but is it truly any different from having ancient literature questions on there?

They're both 'art' according to someone's definition.
hell those don't belong either

Math, science, history and english composition. Art related questions are unnecessary.

that being said, at least it's relegated to the essay questions and not the multiple guess portion

Is there an example of these questions? Pop culture could be a good way to get kids into other educational areas, but I don't see the educational value of simply asking who 'the situation' slept with first.

http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/reality/

it's giving opinions on the nature of the work, much like it would be if the question was about the influences of noir films. you don't have to have specific knowledge of any specific program and you get a general explanation of what reality television is in order to answer the question

http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/reality/

it's giving opinions on the nature of the work, much like it would be if the question was about the influences of noir films. you don't have to have specific knowledge of any specific program and you get a general explanation of what reality television is in order to answer the question

I read this:

As part of the prompt, students were asked: “How authentic can these shows be when producers design challenges for the participants and then editors alter filmed scenes?’’

No educational value whatsoever.

It's called Standardized testing for a reason. Not every classroom or home has a TV, or the requisite channels to learn the data that would be in pop culture. By definition, pop culture is popular culture, popular at that space in time; never thought of prior to and forgotten and/or devalued afterward. There won't be any questions about the "mod" fashion culture on the SAT, a pop culture approach in the 60's, right? Why should questions about a finite entertainment vessel like a TV show on a medium not everyone is expected to have be on a standardized test that is to nationally test all types of people in the country?

i'm not sure why any serious school wouldn't just simply say "ok, we aren't going to look at this part of the SAT's cause it has jack shit to do with what college is supposed to be"

...i dont remember any reality tv classes in college either. so what is that preparing them for exactly?

Last edited: