Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
your boss profits from your labor; the pay you receive rarely if ever reflects your actual worth to the company. the profits go directly into their/shareholder pockets.

worker wages have stagnated since the 70s, while C level exec pay has skyrocketed.

yes, you "agree" to work for a given wage, but what alternative do you have? this argument is basically "it's ok to be paid less than the value of your labor because if you won't do it, some other poor sap will; comply or starve"

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
When you agreed to do X work for X compensation in return, you just determined your value.

From the other side, when the employer can get enough people to do the work to whatever standard for X, the job is worth X. When they can't, they have to offer more pay until they can.
so you're fine with jobs being done overseas by poor laborers in other countries who are willing to work for cents on the dollar?

your boss profits from your labor; the pay you receive rarely if ever reflects your actual worth to the company. the profits go directly into their/shareholder pockets.

worker wages have stagnated since the 70s, while C level exec pay has skyrocketed.

yes, you "agree" to work for a given wage, but what alternative do you have? this argument is basically "it's ok to be paid less than the value of your labor because if you won't do it, some other poor sap will; comply or starve"

The value of your labor is set by this.

When you agreed to do X work for X compensation in return, you just determined your value.

From the other side, when the employer can get enough people to do the work to whatever standard for X, the job is worth X. When they can't, they have to offer more pay until they can.

You're accepting less reward in exchange for less risk. You know you can go in in the morning, punch a clock, get your X, and go home.

You should try working for yourself sometime. Then when you figure out how to keep living indoors that way, keep going, win more business, hire some people and keep them employed too. Then you'll learn a little about risk, reward, and value.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
so you're fine with jobs being done overseas by poor laborers in other countries who are willing to work for cents on the dollar?
Seeing as we keep buying goods and services and thus labor from them by the literal boatload it seems we're all just fine with that.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
You should try working for yourself sometime. Then when you figure out how to keep living indoors that way, keep going, win more business, hire some people and keep them employed too. Then you'll learn a little about risk, reward, and value.
They're not outdoors hips, the one room just looks like a cabin. #LivingOffTheBoomers

• Love
Reactions: HipHugHer
The value of your labor is set by this.

You're accepting less reward in exchange for less risk. You know you can go in in the morning, punch a clock, get your X, and go home.

I'm seeing good points all around on this one. I will point out that starting a business is far less risky (not risky at all) if your daddy gave you a few million for learning to wipe your own ass.

As with most things, landing somewhere in the middle would probably make the most sense.

I'm seeing good points all around on this one. I will point out that starting a business is far less risky (not risky at all) if your daddy gave you a few million for learning to wipe your own ass.

As with most things, landing somewhere in the middle would probably make the most sense.
Agreed. It's a little harsh when you apply the same dynamics to someone who started a business by doing the work themselves, then added an employee, then another . . .

• Gravy
Agreed. It's a little harsh when you apply the same dynamics to someone who started a business by doing the work themselves, then added an employee, then another . . .

I think there's some confusion here where the subject is unclear, so I'm going to clarify that I'm generally talking about larger corporations & companies and less about the petit bourgeoisie / mom and pop stores.
with the former, it's less often the case that they CAN'T pay a living wage and more often the case that they don't (because they don't mentally have to and it would cut into their own profit).

• Gravy
I think there's some confusion here where the subject is unclear, so I'm going to clarify that I'm generally talking about larger corporations & companies and less about the petit bourgeoisie / mom and pop stores.
with the former, it's less often the case that they CAN'T pay a living wage and more often the case that they don't (because they don't mentally have to and it would cut into their own profit).
I think everybody is on the same page. The opposing view is that you are free to start your on business if you don't like what a company pays. Whether they could pay more or if they should wouldn't change that.

You should try working for yourself sometime

Can everybody be self employed? Lab tech? Who’s going to be a nurse? More doctors work for HMOs then are self-employed. Imagine only 1/4 of the healthcare professionals that we currently have. What about the VA? No more VA I guess.

I haven’t ever asked. Are you self employed?

• Gravy
Reactions: Lambie
Can everybody be self employed? Lab tech? Who’s going to be a nurse? More doctors work for HMOs then are self-employed. Imagine only 1/4 of the healthcare professionals that we currently have. What about the VA? No more VA I guess.

I haven’t ever asked. Are you self employed?
He loves to work at nothin' all day.

• Gravy
Status
Not open for further replies.