Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opening a door against water pressure is probably pretty difficult. The windows ought to be breakable, as that's the normal mode of operation for escaping a car that's driven into the water.

Not sure how much of that applies to a car with armored windows or whatever.
Top Gear did this (as did mythbusters?)
Opening the door is not difficult, it's impossible. Also the electric windows usually cease operation when the battery terminals get shorted by water.

Fun fact, a lot of manufacturers are doing similar with their windows for noise and impact intrusion reasons. Which increases the schadenfreude considering Elaine's sister and what she did in the Trump administration.

Opening a door against water pressure is probably pretty difficult. The windows ought to be breakable, as that's the normal mode of operation for escaping a car that's driven into the water.

Not sure how much of that applies to a car with armored windows or whatever.
They arent armored they are pretty standard laminated glass. If ANY of the rescue personnel had a window cracker (which just about every cop and fire truck has here) they could have weakened it enough to break the whole thing. Fire units usually have a crapload of tools for breaking shit. Best question is why didnt they use any of it except hammers? I think I read that somewhere. Them making it a criminal case means no one knows what ACTUALLY happened.

Yeah you have to wait until the pressure inside is the same as the pressure outside. Breaking the window does essentially the same thing since it will fill with water.

Top Gear did this (as did mythbusters?)
Opening the door is not difficult, it's impossible. Also the electric windows usually cease operation when the battery terminals get shorted by water.

Fun fact, a lot of manufacturers are doing similar with their windows for noise and impact intrusion reasons. Which increases the schadenfreude considering Elaine's sister and what she did in the Trump administration.
i dont think anyone is debating that water has a higher pressure than air. I think it's P = F/A 🤷

Opening a door underwater... 2 feet underwater is roughly 1psi of pressure.

Assuming a door has a surface area of 6 square feet and the center of the door is 2 feet underwater, that's 12 x 12 x 6 = 864 square inches of door area and roughly that many pounds of force against it. You aren't getting that open.

Inside and outside water pressures will equalize after the interior is full of water and the person inside has drowned. Which might take a while, which is why smashing the window is the way to do it.

They arent armored they are pretty standard laminated glass. If ANY of the rescue personnel had a window cracker (which just about every cop and fire truck has here) they could have weakened it enough to break the whole thing. Fire units usually have a crapload of tools for breaking shit. Best question is why didnt they use any of it except hammers? I think I read that somewhere. Them making it a criminal case means no one knows what ACTUALLY happened.

Yeah you have to wait until the pressure inside is the same as the pressure outside. Breaking the window does essentially the same thing since it will fill with water.
LOL. No.
Laminated glass cracks. It does not shatter. It does not break enough to remove it from its frame without a lot of force, force which is impossible to apply while floating underwater.

You ever actually broken laminated glass and tried to remove it from a frame?

IDK. The glass is "special" insofar as daddy Elon demonstrated with a bowling ball or w/e.

Seems like if he'd just build cars that had window frames the same from one unit to the next, they wouldn't need to have "laminated glass" in order to avoid shattering it whenever they drive over bumps.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
LOL. No.
Laminated glass cracks. It does not shatter. It does not break enough to remove it from its frame without a lot of force, force which is impossible to apply while floating underwater.

You ever actually broken laminated glass and tried to remove it from a frame?
Not precisely. I've spider webbed it then used pliers to like peel it down. Which admittedly took some time but not an hour.

IDK. The glass is "special" insofar as daddy Elon demonstrated with a bowling ball or w/e.

Seems like if he'd just build cars that had window frames the same from one unit to the next, they wouldn't need to have "laminated glass" in order to avoid shattering it whenever they drive over bumps.
Lots of cars have laminated side windows. my 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis had them. It's just good marketing from Tesla "hey we installed windows that are the same as every Audi since 2002"

Lots of cars have laminated side windows. my 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis had them. It's just good marketing from Tesla "hey we installed windows that are the same as every Audi since 2002"
see? Today I learned something.

I can drive my Audi into the lake and escape without dying, because it's just got tempered glass side windows!

I didnt want to bring this up but why no hydraulic rescue tools? They work in the water... I read about it and it seems like a very half assed rescue attempt.
Recuse crews didn't arrive until 25 minutes after the call. And it was after that when the sheriff's department first attempted to break a window and get to her. She was already dead.

forums president GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.