Thread NYC Bans smoking in public outdoor places

My dad is the only person I've ever known to get a ticket for throwing his cigarette out of his car window. He was super pissed too.

I can agree with these bans as I've had a problem leaving a building more than once because of having to walk through the cloud at the entrance. Still, I doubt walking through that crowd is causing me any permanent damage and the smell doesn't really stick to me in that small amount of time, so that makes me wonder when people became so averse to smelling bad things. Next they are going to ban farting in public. Breathing all this methane is giving me a headache! We should probably ban cows too. And whomever said cars is right, lets ban them, and don't forget buses and airplanes and factories and plants I don't like the smell of in the spring, and for that fact, maybe we should ban pollen producing things because they make Dan awful sick for 3/4 of the year. You people planting grass in your yard are killing my husband! Shame on you!

This I do agree with, but I agree that it should be the right of the establishment to choose. I get to choose whether or not to go to bars that allow smoking (well I used to, Maryland has a smoking ban too, even an outdoor in public places one).

Is it really a question of comfort or is it health. Isn't it pretty proven that someone smoking a cigarette next to you can cause you to get cancer? I agree with you, but I don't think it's comfort that is brought into question here. Your rights end at the end of your nose.

As an ex-smoker I can see both sides of the coin here. I don't want to smoke anymore, and I'm carrying a child that I don't want to smoke, but that doesn't mean I don't think other people should have to stop smoking. Heck, I still let people smoke in my car since it stinks anyway. I can see the health risks for others though. For me, it's not about smell, although I don't like smelling like an ashtray anymore, it's about not doing something extra to get cancer. Having to choose to stay home because you might be exposed to high levels of smoke in your surroundings kinda sucks. I wish it didn't have to be about laws though. I wish it were about people being considerate of other people.

For example, when we were in DC a few months ago, Liam smoked while we walked around, but he wasn't blowing it in anyone's face. He was being respectful. I felt bad when he had to go outside by himself at bars though. It's kind of isolating, but it was his choice. When I smoked it was my choice and I tried to be considerate of others in that I understood it wasn't their choice inside or outside.

I don't like smoking around others who don't smoke. I don't like smoking indoors in general, even in my own home. I much prefer to go outside, even when it's 20F. Also there's an added bonus of being able to get away and go somewhere quiet and chill for 5 minutes while I have a smoke. Something I will greatly miss when I quit.

Despite the fact that I believe it is your right to do whatever you want to do, I can tell you he still smelled like smoke when he got here which was a couple days later. You just don't realize how much that smell sticks with you until you aren't around it all the time anymore. Until last year I suppose I went around for my whole entire life smelling like that as my parents smoked in the house and I picked up the habit when I was 12 or 13. There is no showering and getting rid of it unless you don't smoke anymore after, don't smoke in your house, and don't go anywhere where there are people that smoke, plus wash your clothes in a smoke free environment. That stuff is sticky.

I do miss it though, every day. Crazy huh?

I don't like smoking around others who don't smoke. I don't like smoking indoors in general, even in my own home. I much prefer to go outside, even when it's 20F. Also there's an added bonus of being able to get away and go somewhere quiet and chill for 5 minutes while I have a smoke. Something I will greatly miss when I quit.

Yeah, I didn't smoke in my house either. I went outside and chilled and read a book or something. Sigh...the good old days :( I still sometimes just go outside and sit and have a lollipop or something.

My coworker who quick still goes out for "smoke" breaks. He just goes for a quick 5 minute walk outside instead of lighting up.

Some of the mofos here take like 5 to 8 10 to 15 minute smoke breaks a day. I think that is a bit excessive, as I type on an internet forum not related to my work.

Despite the fact that I believe it is your right to do whatever you want to do, I can tell you he still smelled like smoke when he got here which was a couple days later. You just don't realize how much that smell sticks with you until you aren't around it all the time anymore. Until last year I suppose I went around for my whole entire life smelling like that as my parents smoked in the house and I picked up the habit when I was 12 or 13. There is no showering and getting rid of it unless you don't smoke anymore after, don't smoke in your house, and don't go anywhere where there are people that smoke, plus wash your clothes in a smoke free environment. That stuff is sticky.

I do miss it though, every day. Crazy huh?

sounds highly melodramatic that you still smelled days later even after showering, etc.

sounds highly melodramatic that you still smelled days later even after showering, etc.

How is that melodramatic? It's just reality. It was on his clothes. He probably smelled like cat too to a non-cat person since he was around so many of those and allergic. I think that bothered him a bit as well and was glad for relief from it whenever that came. I can't smell that since I have 4 cats. He probably also smelled like a lot of other things as he went on his journey. Smoke is just one of them. How is that so difficult to believe?

he changed clothes and he showered. a coworker of mine gives me shit about smoking all the time. if I haven't smoked that day she doesn't say anything because I've showered and I'm wearing clean clothes. what you're saying is the equivalent of "I cooked fish and now I will smell like it for days." nonsense :p

he changed clothes and he showered. a coworker of mine gives me shit about smoking all the time. if I haven't smoked that day she doesn't say anything because I've showered and I'm wearing clean clothes. what you're saying is the equivalent of "I cooked fish and now I will smell like it for days." nonsense :p

Your co-worker probably only really notices it when you have just recently smoked, but that doesn't mean you don't still smell like it. Cooking fish once doesn't hang around. It doesn't produce oils and stuff that stick to your walls and furniture. Smoking in your house does and it causes everything you own to smell like smoke, even your clean clothes. You can't smell it and don't realize it because you smoke. Trust me, you know I used to smoke like a chimney. Ask around, lots of people will back me up on this.

Your co-worker probably only really notices it when you have just recently smoked, but that doesn't mean you don't still smell like it. Cooking fish once doesn't hang around. It doesn't produce oils and stuff that stick to your walls and furniture. Smoking in your house does and it causes everything you own to smell like smoke, even your clean clothes. You can't smell it and don't realize it because you smoke. Trust me, you know I used to smoke like a chimney. Ask around, lots of people will back me up on this.

you're in nesting mommy mode and over-sensitive to everything. dave is just dave. :fly: <3

I've never smoked, my parents quit when my oldest brother was born and didn't start up again until I moved out. I can smell it easily... My parents don't even smoke inside and I still have to wash my coat in the winter after spending an evening at thier house or it will have a faint smoke smell for a few days.

I found one thing that has helped me tremendously in my quest to quit smoking.

Buying a brand new car. I remember how bad my last car got. No way in heck I'm letting that happen again.

I'm down to about 2 packs a week @ this point. Sometimes I go a week without having one. I'm just not ready to fully sever that tie yet. As dumb as that may be.

I found one thing that has helped me tremendously in my quest to quit smoking.

Buying a brand new car. I remember how bad my last car got. No way in heck I'm letting that happen again.

I'm down to about 2 packs a week @ this point. Sometimes I go a week without having one. I'm just not ready to fully sever that tie yet. As dumb as that may be.

It's only dumb to those completely ignorant of the experience.