OzSTEEZ

¡ɟɟo ʞɔnɟ ʇunɔ 'ᴉO
Nov 11, 2008
Oz
Marklar
₥25,442
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/22/eveningnews/main20065184.shtml

(CBS News)
Over the last decade, smokers across the country have been put on the defensive, pushed out of offices, restaurants and bars.

CBS News correspondent Jay Dow reports that New York City is now taking the war against tobacco a step further with a new law that goes into effect tomorrow, banning smoking outdoors - at beaches, boardwalks, parks, and pedestrian plazas.
The ban is not exactly universally popular.

"It's not fair, Ya know. I'm a smoka. That's my choice. I smoke.It's not gonna make me stop," said New Yorker Frank Zieran.

New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg, a former smoker, pushed for the law that aims to drastically reduce, if not eliminate exposure to second hand smoke.
"I feel like everywhere I go, people are outside smoking because they can't be inside. And I have to steer my stroller out of the way of second hand smoke," said Shari Dorfman.
New York City health officials are also hoping to discourage a new generation from picking up the habit, sending the message that it is no longer acceptable to light up in family friendly places. The Big Apple is not alone.

Thirty-five states across the country have laws banning smoking indoors. But to date, less than 3 percent of cities across the country have outdoor smoking bans.
Public policy professor Dan Feldman says New York City's ban may be counterproductive.
"I'm afraid it could hurt the credibility of more limited, more reasonable restrictions on smoking," Feldman said.

It also gives New Yorkers who smoke more reasons to be mad.
"It infringes on my rights. Outside? You're not hurting anyone," said Caroline Britt, another New Yorker who smokes.

It's all just one more reason to tell City Hall to "butt out."

NYC smells like rotten garbage and you can peel ounces of grime from your skin after walking around all day, the smell of smoke is an improvement and probably the very least of their worries.

Fools.

It's not everywhere. Just beaches, boardwalks, parks, etc. not on the street.