Thread NYC Bans smoking in public outdoor places

It's only dumb to those completely ignorant of the experience.

Truth. Quitting smoking is HARD!!! I once read a study where they showed that if cigarettes were suddenly made illegal, smokers would start acting like heroin addicts trying to get their fix. It's a terrible addiction and I feel for anyone who has to live with it, regardless of how stupid we all may have been for starting it in the first place.

I found one thing that has helped me tremendously in my quest to quit smoking.

Buying a brand new car. I remember how bad my last car got. No way in heck I'm letting that happen again.

I'm down to about 2 packs a week @ this point. Sometimes I go a week without having one. I'm just not ready to fully sever that tie yet. As dumb as that may be.

I don't smoke in my car either

It's only dumb to those completely ignorant of the experience.

Partially. Based on what I do, you would think I would throw them down and run away screaming, never looking back. But I don't, so I can only view it as a self destructive behavior, and really is, currently, my source of greatest shame.

yeah, try having to commute over an hour each way in some of the shittiest traffic in the country and see if you can still go without smoking in the car.

Partially. Based on what I do, you would think I would throw them down and run away screaming, never looking back. But I don't, so I can only view it as a self destructive behavior, and really is, currently, my source of greatest shame.

There are may ways to look at this, and many reasons for each way.

There days everyone knows what the heal risks are. They came into my elementary school (grade 5) and showed us a real lunge of a 20+ year smoker, and the lunge of a non smoker. It was disgusting. Yet I picked up the habit 4 years later.

Honestly, you have to look towards the bright aspects in dim situations like this. You have to keep yourself uplifted if you want to reach your goals. You are smoking less than before. That is good. Really good. Relax and just keep doing what you are doing.

Smoking is your source of greatest shame? :lol:

:heart:

Smoking is your source of greatest shame? :lol:

:heart:

I know, it sounds weird, but I really don't have a shit ton of other issues with my life right now. When I say 'greatest shame' I don't mean it's this immense overbearing thing, but, as of right now, it's the one thing I have that I am actually shameful about. Smoking is the next big thing to beat.

I've washed clothes saturated with wood smoke and they've still smelled like wood smoke afterwards.

Also, the smoke smell gets into your car and gets into everything inside.

This. I've been car shopping, gotten into a car that was for sale at a dealership and immediately gotten back out cause it smelled like cigarette smoke.

.......I'm.......speechless......
:lol:
How did jews get thrown into that fly?
Don't let him fool you; part of his family is Jewish.
Your co-worker probably only really notices it when you have just recently smoked, but that doesn't mean you don't still smell like it. Cooking fish once doesn't hang around. It doesn't produce oils and stuff that stick to your walls and furniture. Smoking in your house does and it causes everything you own to smell like smoke, even your clean clothes. You can't smell it and don't realize it because you smoke. Trust me, you know I used to smoke like a chimney. Ask around, lots of people will back me up on this.
I totally back you up on this. Smokers do not realize how much everything smells like smoke. Our house had smokers in it before we bought it and it was DISGUSTING. It has been four years since we bought the house and I STILL catch a whiff here and there.

WAW, you stink.
I walk to work with the exception of last week
Again... you stink.

Despite the fact that I believe it is your right to do whatever you want to do, I can tell you he still smelled like smoke when he got here which was a couple days later. You just don't realize how much that smell sticks with you until you aren't around it all the time anymore. Until last year I suppose I went around for my whole entire life smelling like that as my parents smoked in the house and I picked up the habit when I was 12 or 13. There is no showering and getting rid of it unless you don't smoke anymore after, don't smoke in your house, and don't go anywhere where there are people that smoke, plus wash your clothes in a smoke free environment. That stuff is sticky.

I do miss it though, every day. Crazy huh?

You got that right. A female neighbor was a heavy smoker passed way several years ago. It took the people selling the house three coats of paint to get rid of the yellow tint from her smoking.

Last edited: