FYI NOT a relocation

I figured if I am working downtown, what's available close by. An all utilities-included place one mile away was $585 a month. Even if it's a "rough" area, my walk would be short, I wouldn't have anything of value, and I would be saving money to pay for my money pit in Texas.

Yeah... that's gonna be special...

Just keep in mind there is nothing downtown cept bars and offices. Food and stuff is a 15-30 min drive out to East Syracuse or Dewitt.

Last edited:
chim and I were/are talking about that whole side of things, too. don't worry, I won't jump into ANYTHING without looking at all sides.

You know I don't judge you for what you do. I really do not care in the least what your status is with him. I think if you move away effectively for a year you need to discuss it with him big time.

My dad lived away from home effectively for about a year or so working in W. Germany at the time. He also had a job after that where he was gone about 2-3 days of the week every week. That job and travel continued after my mom died even (though he didn't travel as much while she was sick). I wound up being home a lot my senior year of HS because of it. It kept us clothed, fed and then some.

So I don't think moving away more or less is a bad thing, but you all have to be on board with it. It could be a great opportunity if the 2nd option is enough money for you.

You know I don't judge you for what you do. I really do not care in the least what your status is with him. I think if you move away effectively for a year you need to discuss it with him big time.

My dad lived away from home effectively for about a year or so working in W. Germany at the time. He also had a job after that where he was gone about 2-3 days of the week every week. That job and travel continued after my mom died even (though he didn't travel as much while she was sick). I wound up being home a lot my senior year of HS because of it. It kept us clothed, fed and then some.

So I don't think moving away more or less is a bad thing, but you all have to be on board with it. It could be a great opportunity if the 2nd option is enough money for you.

I have done something like this before, in 2007, when I was in West Virginia for the better part of a year. The difference this time is that the visits would be less and the work would be higher stress.

15k increase would be the good option if you're staying with the company, and i'd really check into extended stay hotels or bunking with someone on craigslist. or enroll at syracuse and stay in the dorms. :lol:

i'd expect at least a 5k increase just for working out of town for a year though... chim will survive, he'll have plenty of fixing up of that house to do to keep his mind occupied.

the company planning on keeping you when the year is up though? its easy for them to have a fixed limit of 15k, otherwise you'll end up in a decent hotel and you'll gain 200lbs by spending $50 on restaurant food every day.

15k increase would be the good option if you're staying with the company, and i'd really check into extended stay hotels or bunking with someone on craigslist. or enroll at syracuse and stay in the dorms. :lol:

i'd expect at least a 5k increase just for working out of town for a year though... chim will survive, he'll have plenty of fixing up of that house to do to keep his mind occupied.

the company planning on keeping you when the year is up though? its easy for them to have a fixed limit of 15k, otherwise you'll end up in a decent hotel and you'll gain 200lbs by spending $50 on restaurant food every day.

Yes, the company I am working for now has every plan on keeping me when this contract with the customer is up. I explicitly asked how that was going to work since they will be hiring an additional body to take over my work I am doing now and they said they were going to add another person anyway. I would still be expected to come back after my year is over.

The apartment I am looking at has a gym facility and would be CHEAPER than an extended stay (those are over $800 a month).

Yeah the only thing I'm gonna say is you need a car. If it's not snowing here, it's raining. They don't plow the roads with anything resembling efficiency and all the streets are very poorly lit (think 1 or 2 light poles per block), not to mention potholed to hell. People on motorcycles die. It's not just on the highways, I've been rear ended in city traffic multiple times, twice in a minivan and once in a Forester.

So I was just offered a preliminary deal for relocation to Syracuse, NY for a year starting in February. I think I might have to take it.

Basically I will be the first level support for our software at the customer's site. I will be the whipping boy for any issues they see in the field with our software and I have to help implement any fix we can provide.

They gave me two ideas for offers. The first offer (a proven offer) is to pay for the lodging, food, and transportation as well as one weekend a month travel back to Houston. I still have my current salary and current manager.

The other offer (not fleshed out entirely as I might be the first person ever offered this) is to raise my salary a bunch and I am responsible for any expenses accrued, but when I come back to Houston I keep that new wage.

Thoughts? Should I take it? Chim is none-too-happy with this at all.

Sounds like a great career move and id take option 1

how will the tax situation differ between the two options? I imagine that even if you're getting a raise being relocated for work allows you to deduct some if not all of those expenses. it might make a significant difference