FYI NOT a relocation

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So I was just offered a preliminary deal for relocation to Syracuse, NY for a year starting in February. I think I might have to take it.

Basically I will be the first level support for our software at the customer's site. I will be the whipping boy for any issues they see in the field with our software and I have to help implement any fix we can provide.

They gave me two ideas for offers. The first offer (a proven offer) is to pay for the lodging, food, and transportation as well as one weekend a month travel back to Houston. I still have my current salary and current manager.

The other offer (not fleshed out entirely as I might be the first person ever offered this) is to raise my salary a bunch and I am responsible for any expenses accrued, but when I come back to Houston I keep that new wage.

Thoughts? Should I take it? Chim is none-too-happy with this at all.

The perma-raise deal is odd. Will it cover all or just some of the next year's expenses? If it covers all of them, then it's weird to be given that amount forever for no reason. I'm assuming it will cover about 40 or 50%?

It sounds like a smart career move either way, and Chim needs to consider such things for long term planning.

does this get you out of the house of horrors? or would you rent it?

Nope. still own it. chim would still live there (he has his job in Houston after all) as well as the current roommate that is already living there.

The perma-raise deal is odd. Will it cover all or just some of the next year's expenses? If it covers all of them, then it's weird to be given that amount forever for no reason. I'm assuming it will cover about 40 or 50%?

To be honest I have no idea. I will get those fine level details next week.

this is the primary question and what will determine if its worth it to take immediate expenses, or an overall increase

You people don't even read the first sentence anymore, do you?

So I was just offered a preliminary deal for relocation to Syracuse, NY for a year starting in February

Yeah, that would be a very bad idea. You will be a dead popsicle in minutes.

The apartment I was looking at renting if I was going the option 2 route is 1.1 miles away from the office. I could walk if I wanted.