Norwegian old country reunion

Lame-o said:
I don't care if it's your religion or not. Though I've never had a Jewish friend and I guess that will continue. :(

That's funny, though. My roots are Norwegian as well. My dad's family came here in 1702, and my mom's in the early 1900s. Just a coincidence I managed to grow up there. (oil) It's a ridiculously beautiful place, and such a great environment for kids to grow up in. And of course you're a stone's throw form mainland Europe.

Well, don't feel too bad about the Jewish friend thing. I can speak a few words of Hebrew, my cousins all went to Hebrew school, my uncle is a Rabi, my Grandfather still send Chanukah checks, and growing up my Christmas tree was called a Chanuka Bush and there was a menorah next to it. Oh, I also have a mezzuza on my door.

I have never been to Norway, but I think I would like to go there some day. My grandmother has a bunch of really old portraits of our ancestors and they were some sort of dukes or barons or something like that.

Bubbles said:
Well, don't feel too bad about the Jewish friend thing. I can speak a few words of Hebrew, my cousins all went to Hebrew school, my uncle is a Rabi, my Grandfather still send Chanukah checks, and growing up my Christmas tree was called a Chanuka Bush and there was a menorah next to it. Oh, I also have a mezzuza on my door.

I have never been to Norway, but I think I would like to go there some day. My grandmother has a bunch of really old portraits of our ancestors and they were some sort of dukes or barons or something like that.

What's your last name? (the Norwegian one)

Lame-o said:
There is no way my people spawned you. Probably kept your ancestors as pets after a raid on Portugal or something.
My last name is far more Norweign than Goodner.
My family is from Skien, Norway to be exact.

theacoustician said:
My last name is far more Norweign than Goodner.
My family is from Skien, Norway to be exact.

What's your last name? Goodner is actually anglicized from Von Gutner, from the German (75% Norwegian blood) patriarch on my dad's side.

My mom's maiden name is Jonsted (pronounced Yonsted).

Lame-o said:
What's your last name? Goodner is actually anglicized from Von Gutner, from the German (75% Norwegian blood) patriarch on my dad's side.

My mom's maiden name is Jonsted (pronounced Yonsted).
Olsen. I win.

theacoustician said:
Olsen. I win.

Yeah that's about like Smith in England. If your dad's name is Ole (pro. 'Oley') then you really win. I will be forced to fellate you in humiliation.

Think hard before you answer that.

Lame-o said:
Yeah that's about like Smith in England. If your dad's name is Ole (pro. 'Oley') then you really win. I will be forced to fellate you in humiliation.

Think hard before you answer that.
No, but there is an Ole as one of my great grandfathers.

Oddly enough, I also qualify for this http://www.sar.org/

theacoustician said:
No, but there is an Ole as one of my great grandfathers.

Oddly enough, I also qualify for this http://www.sar.org/

I'm sure I do too, considering we've been here since long before it was a country.

I belong to Sons of Norway. I get some good deals on travel packages (haven't used any yet) and even offers on things like health and home insurance. And they send me magazines with pretty pictures so I can weep softly while reminiscing.

theacoustician said:
I have darker skin than you, Pandora, or Thorn.

gee, speaking of the girls, that's not a surprise, although i take the cake for white. you can find a picture of me under caucasian, albino and cheetah (or leopard) in the dictionary.

Lame-o said:
What's your last name? (the Norwegian one)

OK. My gran is actually staying at my house this week so I was able to ask her last night. We have 4 main family names. The first, Von Krogh is the aristocracy. The others are Harsteaad (as in Harsteaad County in Wisconsin), Halverson, and Fulsaas.

Oh...and interesting fact......one of the ancestors won the Nobel Prize in 1926 for his study of the capillaries.

edit: I have never tried ludafisk, but I asked because my gran used to tell me funny stories.......she said that it was made by hagning a salted fish outside of the house and all the neighborhood men would come by and pee on it through a time period of a week...thereby curing the fish. :fly: