Norwegian old country reunion

Bubbles said:
OK. My gran is actually staying at my house this week so I was able to ask her last night. We have 4 main family names. The first, Von Krogh is the aristocracy. The others are Harsteaad (as in Harsteaad County in Wisconsin), Halverson, and Fulsaas.

Oh...and interesting fact......one of the ancestors won the Nobel Prize in 1926 for his study of the capillaries.

edit: I have never tried ludafisk, but I asked because my gran used to tell me funny stories.......she said that it was made by hagning a salted fish outside of the house and all the neighborhood men would come by and pee on it through a time period of a week...thereby curing the fish. :fly:

Very interesting! I love hearing about other peoples' family histories. Harsteaad county, huh? My relatives all moved to northern Wisconsin, in the Superior/Duluth and Green Bay areas. I think it was an immigration stipulation that if you came over from Scandinavia you had to settle in the Wisconsin/Minnesota/North Dakota area.

Lutefisk is....horrible. I've never tried haggis, but I'd venture to say that lutefisk is the worst thing ever devised by man. Unless you're really, really into jellied cod that has been soaked in one of the primary ingredients of drain cleaners. Its taste and texture are indescribable. You really just have to try it for yourself. And yes, lye used to be made out of human urine, among other things, so your gran's tongue-in-cheek description is pretty accurate. :fly:

Lame-o said:
Very interesting! I love hearing about other peoples' family histories. Harsteaad county, huh? My relatives all moved to northern Wisconsin, in the Superior/Duluth and Green Bay areas. I think it was an immigration stipulation that if you came over from Scandinavia you had to settle in the Wisconsin/Minnesota/North Dakota area.

Lutefisk is....horrible. I've never tried haggis, but I'd venture to say that lutefisk is the worst thing ever devised by man. Unless you're really, really into jellied cod that has been soaked in one of the primary ingredients of drain cleaners. Its taste and texture are indescribable. You really just have to try it for yourself. And yes, lye used to be made out of human urine, among other things, so your gran's tongue-in-cheek description is pretty accurate. :fly:

:eek: You mean she wasn't entirely joking???? Holy gross batman!

Yes I will agree with the idea that scandinavians were sent to these locations. I lived in Millwakee for the first 4 years of my life and most of my mother's family is still there.

Bubbles said:
:eek: You mean she wasn't entirely joking???? Holy gross batman!

Yes I will agree with the idea that scandinavians were sent to these locations. I lived in Millwakee for the first 4 years of my life and most of my mother's family is still there.

*Milwaukee

Lye USED to be made with urine. I don't know when that practice fell off because I'm not an expert on the stuff. But for some reason I don't think it too farfetched to imagine my ancestors getting drunk and pissing on their fish. :lol:

Maybe some day you'll get to try the delicacy of our people. Personally I hope your shitfaced drunk if you do. Maybe that way you won't remember it.

Have you ever tried marzipan? Or rice pudding? We used to get risengrynsgroet every Christmas (horribly bland, unless you add tons of sugar and cinnamon to it) and there was an almond hidden in it. Whoever got the almond in their bowl received a marzipan pig.

I miss all that stuff. :(

You can check out my home town online, if you want. Shit I miss that place.
http://www.stavanger-web.com/

Bubbles said:
*Milwaukee = :rolleyes: We have aready dicussed the fact that I cannot spell.

I like the way the town looks, very quaint. How long did you live there?

For 10 years or so.

It's a modern town these days (I've noticed several high-rise condo buildings since have been built since I lived there), but the main downtown area is still in the quaint style. This is the central shopping area, which is just cool beyond words. http://www.stavanger-web.com/images/kirkegaten1.jpg In the U.S. we have shopping malls, so the concept of walking around a town to shop, with each building being a different story, is pretty much lost.

Lame-o said:
For 10 years or so.

It's a modern town these days (I've noticed several high-rise condo buildings since have been built since I lived there), but the main downtown area is still in the quaint style. This is the central shopping area, which is just cool beyond words. http://www.stavanger-web.com/images/kirkegaten1.jpg In the U.S. we have shopping malls, so the concept of walking around a town to shop, with each building being a different story, is pretty much lost.

I spent 3 weeks in Europe last summer, so I know what you mean about the shopping malls. I like almost everything better over there. Maybe I just like the nuance.

Bubbles said:
I spent 3 weeks in Europe last summer, so I know what you mean about the shopping malls. I like almost everything better over there. Maybe I just like the nuance.

Cool, where did you go?

Lame-o said:
I've never been to Insbrook. Was it nice? I guess you were just tooling around on vacation?

It was a college arts program. $4000 got me into 4 star hotels, transportation from city to city, airfare, 2 meals a day, and college credit in Humanities, Western Civilizations, and Art History.

I sprained my foot in a freak accident while staying in a villa in the Touscan countryside. The next morning I got on a train to Insbrook where I visited the hospital. I had to stay in the hotel for 3 days with my foot iced and elevated so that I would be able to continue on with the rest of the trip. Everyone else got to go up on the glacier and ski. :(

Bubbles said:
It was a college arts program. $4000 got me into 4 star hotels, transportation from city to city, airfare, 2 meals a day, and college credit in Humanities, Western Civilizations, and Art History.

I sprained my foot in a freak accident while staying in a villa in the Touscan countryside. The next morning I got on a train to Insbrook where I visited the hospital. I had to stay in the hotel for 3 days with my foot iced and elevated so that I would be able to continue on with the rest of the trip. Everyone else got to go up on the glacier and ski. :(

OMG that sucks. I would have been furious in a really resigned way. Next time...

Oh, and *Tuscan.

:fly:

Lame-o said:
OMG that sucks. I would have been furious in a really resigned way. Next time...

Oh, and *Tuscan.

I'm not sure I like you correcting me all the time as English isn't even your first language. :fly:

Oh, and have you noticed no one else wants anything to do with this thread? It's like our own private little post. awwwww

Bubbles said:
I'm not sure I like you correcting me all the time as English isn't even your first language. :fly:

Oh, and have you noticed no one else wants anything to do with this thread? It's like our own private little post. awwwww

English is too my first fucking language! :mad:

I'm an American!

And yes, it's like our own candlelit booth in the lutefisk cafe.