Neat Religion Tidbits

FG - I made this thread for discussion. You and your fancy words and ways of calling me out is going to be ignored since I'm leaving work now.
I just made a discussion point o_O I'll call it "Accepting Science on Belief".

How can they be weighted differently if there is no data whatsoever to confirm the existence of a God? There's a reason it's still a matter of word-of-mouth.

There either IS a God, or there ISN'T. No one knows, hence the word faith. Where's the weighting?
oh, i thought you were talking about right or wrong in the southpark "the correct religion was 'mormon'" way where you're only right if you happen to belong to the right religion.

edit: although you did specifically mention a few different religions. if you don't want to use probabilities you shouldn't have said 50%.

Last edited:
yeah but that's not what I was referring to; the idea was christians or muslims being told that there's a 50% chance the other guy is right.
Western Christianity (Protestant and Roman Catholic vs. Eastern Orthodox) and Islam are, for most basic philosophical messages, pretty much the same. The only thing that makes for disagreement, or rather idiocy, are literal (almost legal) interpretations of textual passages.

Hinduism is closer to Buddhism in philosophy. Zomg, everything sucks, what I do doesnt matter...

Last edited:
I still hate Buddhists for the record.

Buddhism started out as a philosophy, one of Buddha's teachings specifically stated, "Do not worship me". Buddha was agnostic. Buddhism as a religion annoys me, as a philosophy I find it both thought provoking and beautiful.

oh, i thought you were talking about right or wrong in the southpark "the correct religion was 'mormon'" way where you're only right if you happen to belong to the right religion.

edit: although you did specifically mention a few different religions. if you don't want to use probabilities you shouldn't have said 50%.

I was going to respond to FlyNavy with the following, but now my understanding of probabilites has been confused by you.

:fly:

Please correct this if it's wrong or inaccurate:

There is a 50% chance that the other guy is right. Everyone will end up either being right or wrong in what they believe. Everyone. Me, you, the muslim guy down the street, everyone. That puts each of us on exactly the same footing. There is no probability string. We aren't flipping a coin 20 times and seeing if we end up with 10 heads and 10 tails. At the singular instance of a person's death, they will either be right or wrong. This applies to every person on earth who holds any spiritual belief in a god or an afterlife. Thus the 50% chance to get it "right".

Buddhism started out as a philosophy, one of Buddha's teachings specifically stated, "Do not worship me". Buddha was agnostic. Buddhism as a religion annoys me, as a philosophy I find it both thought provoking and beautiful.
Uh, points:

1) You dont have to worship something for it to be a religion, it's called non-theistic.
2) It's the philosophy that I hate. Ergo, I hate buddhists.
3) I think I'm unique in my hate of Buddhists through a deep understanding of their basic philosophy.
4) The philosophy you are thinking of is called "Dharmic" based on the vedas and various assorted native beliefs of the Indian subcontinent. Buddhism expands on this basic philosophy into something that I thoroughly do not approve of.

Uh, points:

1) You dont have to worship something for it to be a religion, it's called non-theistic.
2) It's the philosophy that I hate. Ergo, I hate buddhists.
3) I think I'm unique in my hate of Buddhists through a deep understanding of their basic philosophy.
4) The philosophy you are thinking of is called "Dharmic" based on the vedas and various assorted native beliefs of the Indian subcontinent. Buddhism expands on this basic philosophy into something that I thoroughly do not approve of.

Okay.

I think it's cool how buddha went out and lived the extremes of life and then made a philosphy about it

Okay.

I think it's cool how buddha went out and lived the extremes of life and then made a philosphy about it
Eh, whatever floats your boat (Buddha that is).

If being detached from everything is an extreme then my personal life could be a religion.

Eh, whatever floats your boat (Buddha that is).

If being detached from everything is an extreme then my personal life could be a religion.

because you've lived through soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much

I was going to respond to FlyNavy with the following, but now my understanding of probabilites has been confused by you.

:fly:

Please correct this if it's wrong or inaccurate:

There is a 50% chance that the other guy is right. Everyone will end up either being right or wrong in what they believe. Everyone. Me, you, the muslim guy down the street, everyone. That puts each of us on exactly the same footing. There is no probability string. We aren't flipping a coin 20 times and seeing if we end up with 10 heads and 10 tails. At the singular instance of a person's death, they will either be right or wrong. This applies to every person on earth who holds any spiritual belief in a god or an afterlife. Thus the 50% chance to get it "right".
I think you're right on the money when you say we aren't flipping a coin 20 times. You stray when you use the 50% though, because as it stands there either is a god or there isn't. If you think there is one you're either right or wrong, we just don't know yet. The only way you can have a 50% chance of being right or wrong is if you say "I'm not sure whether to believe in god or not, so I'll flip this coin. Heads I believe, Tails I don't." In that situation, before you flip, you have an equal chance of being right or wrong. Once you pick a side though the probability goes out the window and it's just a matter of waiting until you die to see if you backed the right horse.

I think you're right on the money when you say we aren't flipping a coin 20 times. You stray when you use the 50% though, because as it stands there either is a god or there isn't. If you think there is one you're either right or wrong, we just don't know yet. The only way you can have a 50% chance of being right or wrong is if you say "I'm not sure whether to believe in god or not, so I'll flip this coin. Heads I believe, Tails I don't." In that situation, before you flip, you have an equal chance of being right or wrong. Once you pick a side though the probability goes out the window and it's just a matter of waiting until you die to see if you backed the right horse.

So instead of 50% prior to death, you're 100% after death.

:shifty:

Well if you think about it, it's very true, attachments = pain.
Answering this post properly would not only be a waste of time but a waste of server space. Shortly put, one can justify ANY action with buddhism, for example: I cheated on you and lied about it because I dont want to be attachted. It's also pathologically stagnant as far as innovation goes.

Answering this post properly would not only be a waste of time but a waste of server space. Shortly put, one can justify ANY action with buddhism, for example: I cheated on you and lied about it because I dont want to be attachted. It's also pathologically stagnant as far as innovation goes.

Well, on that note if I were Buddhist in the purest sense it wouldn't be cheating because we wouldn't be together. Being together implies attachment.

I also dig the Hindus, they believe all gods are their gods, so as long as you believe in god, any god, you are Hindu.

Well, on that note if I were Buddhist in the purest sense it wouldn't be cheating because we wouldn't be together. Being together implies attachment.

I also dig the Hindus, they believe all gods are their gods, so as long as you believe in god, any god, you are Hindu.

Aw crap, I'm not gonna start smelling like curry am I?

Oh... I brought that up as well... >.<

Hindus are cool. If you actually want to read about an interesting religion look up Zoroastrianism, or even Stoicism.