Neat Religion Tidbits

"Christianity started out in Palestine as a fellowship; it moved to Greece and became a philosophy; it moved to Italy and became an institution; it moved to Europe and became a culture; it came to America and became an enterprise." Sam Pascoe, American scholar. :lol:

"Christianity started out in Palestine as a fellowship; it moved to Greece and became a philosophy; it moved to Italy and became an institution; it moved to Europe and became a culture; it came to America and became an enterprise." Sam Pascoe, American scholar. :lol:
that's a great line.

Interesting. How do you think you know so much about me?
You agreed with Sarcasmo's post. Which is likely a better demonstration of my point than anything I could say; though you likely only glossed it. That and you posted this thread. This is shit anyone could tell ya.

I believe in astrophysics and relativity.
Your obvious tone with this is that you are enlightened because you only think things that are true. Which is common with atheist, fly for example. You don't actually know these things though, you take them on faith. Which Sarcasmo illustrated beautifully.

"I believe in..." That isnt a statement of knowledge, it's a statement of faith. You've reduced science to a religion; which makes it no different than any other religion. 100 years ago that would've included a "belief" in cubical atoms, among other things.

Hippasus was drowned because he brought up the idea of irrational numbers when it was commonly accepted that all things were absolute.

Just because something is in fashion, or popularly accepted doesnt make it any more true than something that doesnt fit your idea of how things should be.

*spins*

I still hate Buddhists for the record.

You agreed with Sarcasmo's post. Which is likely a better demonstration of my point than anything I could say; though you likely only glossed it. That and you posted this thread. This is shit anyone could tell ya.

Your obvious tone with this is that you are enlightened because you only think things that are true. Which is common with atheist, fly for example. You don't actually know these things though, you take them on faith. Which Sarcasmo illustrated beautifully.

"I believe in..." That isnt a statement of knowledge, it's a statement of faith. You've reduced science to a religion; which makes it no different than any other religion. 100 years ago that would've included a "belief" in cubical atoms, among other things.

Hippasus was drowned because he brought up the idea of irrational numbers when it was commonly accepted that all things were absolute.

Just because something is in fashion, or popularly accepted doesnt make it any more true than something that doesnt fit your idea of how things should be.

*spins*

I still hate Buddhists for the record.

:fly:

Relativity.

Attacks on our homosexual essays:

Homosexuality is a very controversial topic at this time. Part of the population favors equal rights for gays and lesbians. Others feel that same-sex behavior is a profoundly evil sin hated by God, a threat to society, and an activity which should be criminalized. Our site is unusual in that we try to explain all sides to the topic.

For the record, none of the five of us at this office have a bisexual or homosexual orientation.

A surprising number of social and religious conservatives ignore our gay-negative essays -- the ones which describe the traditional position -- and concentrate on our essays which are gay-positive. Some have commented:
bullet "I hope all you faggots die of cancer or worse!!!!!"
bullet "please do not call your self or any HOMOSEXUALS Muslims. No homosexual can really be a Muslim for Islam rejects them in black and white pages of the holly book....Islam is the only religion that is clear about homosexuality and its punishment. no one died for our sins in Islam, only you the "homosexual" will, in places that use the law of Islam to punish the sinner. My lovely country of IRAN being the best at that...bye you rejected -God and the Qur'an rejects you and you still wanna belong?
bullet "YOUR CONCLUSIONS ON THE SUBJECT OF HOMOSEXUALITY ARE WITHOUT MERIT AND UNBIBLICAL;"
bullet "Quit trying to pervert the right ways of the Lord."
bullet "It seems your site mistakenly tries to say it is ok for Homosexuals to be alive. As if that error isn't idiocy in itself (read the bible). You seem to attempt to make argument it is ok for them to be Christian. Again folks I ask you to read the Bible. Please remove the error ASAP! Thanks!
bullet "You promote the SODOMITES AND GOD WILL JUDGE YOU FOR IT."
bullet Homosexuality is an abomination unto God and you're promoting it. That makes you wrong according to God's word. Period.

Why is a religion that is so full of love for others so full of hate?

FG - I made this thread for discussion. You and your fancy words and ways of calling me out is going to be ignored since I'm leaving work now.

Because if you read either the bible or the koran you see so many conflicting and contradictory statements that it's impossible for everyone to agree on the real message. It's inevitable that people will pick and choose. Some christians will find the passages that clearly justify killing gays, some muslims will find the passages that clearly justify killing children in the name of allah.

Religion is not beautiful, I still don't understand why people hold onto the fantasy that any of them are.

Because they can't grasp that no matter how big their mouths are or how fervently they profess some vague understanding, in the end there is still only (and will only ever be) a 50% chance that they are right. What really irks them is when you point out that there is also a 50% chance that Hindus, or Muslims, or Wiccans or Jedis are right.

*force choke*

Last edited:
Because they can't grasp that no matter how big their mouths are or how fervently they profess some vague understanding, in the end there is still only a 50% chance that they are right. What really irks them is when you point out that there is also a 50% chance that Hindus, or Muslims, or Wiccans or Jedis are right.

*force choke*

eh I dunno about that. for starters you can't really boil the concept of supernatural entities down to probabilities. math simply has no place at this point because there's zero data, it's all about belief

That being said I've known a number of devout religious folk in my life and many of them have no doubt in their mind that theirs is right. Although I have challenged some hard core right wing christians with the fact that there's zero reason for me to believe in christianity over islam or hinudism and all they can counter with is the atrocities commited by modern day muslims.

There really is nothing to point to any diety whatsoever. Although truth be told I'd believe Jedi over Wicca any day of the week. :fly:

eh I dunno about that. for starters you can't really boil the concept of supernatural entities down to probabilities. math simply has no place at this point because there's zero data, it's all about belief

You are either right, or you are wrong. 50%.

You are either right, or you are wrong. 50%.
as a math guy i gotta disagree. yes, right and wrong are only two options, but they aren't necessarily weighted equally. besides, you can't have even hindus, catholics and muslims each having a 50% chance of being right and have your probabilities add up. Add in a few hundred religions and variations and you only complicate the matter more.

as a math guy i gotta disagree. yes, right and wrong are only two options, but they aren't necessarily weighted equally. besides, you can't have even hindus, catholics and muslims each having a 50% chance of being right and have your probabilities add up. Add in a few hundred religions and variations and you only complicate the matter more.

How can they be weighted differently if there is no data whatsoever to confirm the existence of a God? There's a reason it's still a matter of word-of-mouth.

There either IS a God, or there ISN'T. No one knows, hence the word faith. Where's the weighting?

How can they be weighted differently if there is no data whatsoever to confirm the existence of a God? There's a reason it's still a matter of word-of-mouth.

There either IS a God, or there ISN'T. No one knows, hence the word faith. Where's the weighting?

yeah but that's not what I was referring to; the idea was christians or muslims being told that there's a 50% chance the other guy is right.