Neat Religion Tidbits

I want the three of you following to know that I could respond to your statements here with full novels, given only the time, and this thread touches on things I've spent long hours alone and with friends considering and contemplating ... As such I'll just try and summarize the most elegant and simple truths therein.

Why is a religion that is so full of love for others so full of hate?

Three things. The first is sociopolitical. People can and will always use virtually every instrument that is part of the public arena to polarize themselves; justify and/or direct their inner hatred, glue themselves to something they perceive as stable. From that perspective, the fact that people use the bible to justify their hatred and homophobia seems no more remarkable to me than that people appear excited at a big music concert.

Secondly, philisophical. The point of the religion is that people are broken. If faults were not visible in the Christian people, they would have no need for the grace they proclaim.

Western Christianity (Protestant and Roman Catholic vs. Eastern Orthodox) and Islam are, for most basic philosophical messages, pretty much the same. The only thing that makes for disagreement, or rather idiocy, are literal (almost legal) interpretations of textual passages.

Hinduism is closer to Buddhism in philosophy. Zomg, everything sucks, what I do doesnt matter...

The only problem being, we all believe the other group is going to Hell.

Which honestly is the way it should have always been looked at, there would have been a lot less lives lost.

I have a distinct feeling that people will always find a way to kill each other over something if they want to do it.

heh .. we're winning nah nah

baptist.jpg

I don't want to join the debate, but I will say that we live in the least religious county in the US - Multnomah County (Oregon). Only 8% attend a church.

Are you Christian or how do you two deal with differences of religion? (I'm ignoring your first seven words of the post.)

Perhaps the most important thing about Christianity in the US is its impact on our freedoms.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Always makes me wonder about the huge push to remove anything about God from our public areas.

Once done, then the perception will be complete that we get our rights from the government... not that we are born with them.

Are you Christian or how do you two deal with differences of religion? (I'm ignoring your first seven words of the post.)

Yes, I'm Christian. Honestly I find bigger differences between myself and my parents than most non-Christians I run across. But working for a Christian company, that's less common than with most people.

Last edited: