Hawt NBD

nice bass, OOD.

A lot of those pesky passive purists have a strong dislike for the preamps in those, but I think they’re quite usable and friendly.

If you feel its insufficient, Audere makes the best drop in replacement, period.

Is it a newer new model?

nice bass, OOD.

A lot of those pesky passive purists have a strong dislike for the preamps in those, but I think they’re quite usable and friendly.

If you feel its insufficient, Audere makes the best drop in replacement, period.

Is it a newer new model?
Thanks! The pre amp is better than my G&L tribute L2000 by a long long shot. Better than my sansamp and MXR Bass Distortion DI too, though those are different tools the MXR has a super uncolored setting that doesn't touch the Ultra Jazz. The Ultra pre sounds uncolored but the EQ is notched very well. It's 18v which might have something to do with that. Plus it has an amazing Mid pot.

Passive mode sounds like a passive Jazz. Probably slightly different with the noiseless pickups and pickup blend, but close enough to react similarly to my other Jazz. I like the blend. I'd rather have quick consistent output control than the tiny bit of versatility from Volume/volume/tone.

I think it's a 2021, serial number starts
US21xxxxxx

@Immigrant I bought it for the nice neck and perfect balance though. I went in looking for a P bass deluxe lol. Once I flipped the active switch on I fell in love with the modern sound. Hell I live in a modern world and Leo would have been proud of this bass.

Exactly what makes the Deluxe (Ultra) models attractive in my opinion. Especially the newer versions (like yours) with the passive/active option. Older versions lack that, active only. I’ve always felt a P sound could be had easily enough with a J but saying that out loud is like a mortal sin in some circles LOL but I’m not one of those that can hear dog whistles and shit.

Play the heck out of that thang

Thanks man. I hope this one stands the test of time.
That's pretty. The block markers are classic, Hipsnot(?) bridge and like immi said, the active/passive should be awesome. I can't hear the dog whistle's either but i can hear a different "spank" to the notes on an active. Would be nice to dial that down instead of switching basses for something more chill. COngrats!

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and OOD
Exactly what makes the Deluxe (Ultra) models attractive in my opinion. Especially the newer versions (like yours) with the passive/active option. Older versions lack that, active only. I’ve always felt a P sound could be had easily enough with a J but saying that out loud is like a mortal sin in some circles LOL but I’m not one of those that can hear dog whistles and shit.

Play the heck out of that thang
Active on, neck pickup only gets damn close. There's no way I could ever tell you which bass is which while a band is playing. I'm sure there are some who have the ear for it, but I sure don't.

Oh I'm not going to baby this beauty. She's getting a heavy attack and several gain stages.

That's pretty. The block markers are classic, Hipsnot(?) bridge and like immi said, the active/passive should be awesome. I can't hear the dog whistle's either but i can hear a different "spank" to the notes on an active. Would be nice to dial that down instead of switching basses for something more chill. COngrats!
I don't know about the Hipshot. They tuners and bridge just have 'fender' on them. The bridge is good though, saddles are going nowhere.

Passive has a bloomy kind of less defined sound that will work great in folk and old country. And that active setting does spank.

Laraine Newman Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Missed this thread somehow.
Itsa veddy niice basss dat basss itsa veddy niice.

I also like a blend pot instead of separate volumes although I don't have one with that feature anymore.

Bridge looks a little bit like a badass with different saddles or may just be a nice beefy bridge.

18v is more about headroom in the preamp than anything but does make it easier to get big open sound and more output/wider curve on the boost side of the eq without getting overloaded or "artificial" sounding.

The P sound is mostly about having that split coil in the right spot (distance from bridge) as anything but if your mid pot is in a good spot most anybody including me and the tone purists couldn't tell the difference listening blind.

Missed this thread somehow.
Itsa veddy niice basss dat basss itsa veddy niice.

I also like a blend pot instead of separate volumes although I don't have one with that feature anymore.

Bridge looks a little bit like a badass with different saddles or may just be a nice beefy bridge.

18v is more about headroom in the preamp than anything but does make it easier to get big open sound and more output/wider curve on the boost side of the eq without getting overloaded or "artificial" sounding.

The P sound is mostly about having that split coil in the right spot (distance from bridge) as anything but if your mid pot is in a good spot most anybody including me and the tone purists couldn't tell the difference listening blind.
Thanks man.

I would be just as happy with a 3-way switch. I’ve never been much for mixing pickups together. Too much work for too little gain. Plus it sounds hollow and less articulate to me.

I don’t know what kind of bridge it is. It’s got Fender on it and is apparently a new high mass bridge they designed from what I’ve heard.

I can barely pick out a split pickup vs neck of the Jazz solo, even with no other instruments. Once the mix is there and I’ve set EQ on the amp It’s undetectable to me. Since I don’t have a producer I’m the only one who matters.

Thanks man.

I would be just as happy with a 3-way switch. I’ve never been much for mixing pickups together. Too much work for too little gain. Plus it sounds hollow and less articulate to me.

I don’t know what kind of bridge it is. It’s got Fender on it and is apparently a new high mass bridge they designed from what I’ve heard.

I can barely pick out a split pickup vs neck of the Jazz solo, even with no other instruments. Once the mix is there and I’ve set EQ on the amp It’s undetectable to me. Since I don’t have a producer I’m the only one who matters.
Used to have a Dean in PJ configuration with a 3-way mini-switch like that for pickup selection. Solo one or the other or run em both even. Really that was enough variety for me.
On my others if I favor one or the other it usually ain't by much. Little more beef one way, little more bite the other, but I doubt either one gets much below 80%.

I still love the P sound but really that bass was "the thing" that sits in the mix because of all the other gear that was in use back when it was "new".
PA systems didn't have 1.21 gigawatts worth of subwoofers. Home stereo speakers couldn't do what they could even a couple decades later. There wasn't even a such thing as stereo.
That pickup placement sounds big and fat but really it puts its strong harmonics in the upper bass/lower mid area. Perfect if you're listening at home on a speaker that wasn't that much different than the one FDR announced the pearl harbor attack on. Or maybe you got lucky and had your music heard over an AM car radio with a single speaker in the dash.

They still sound great and are easy to mix but we got so much more stuff available to us now.