Ontopic Mission to Uranus

haha, i had to go look what it was even about. (cheap travel to iceland for anyone who doesnt want to look back, 99 bucks one way outta east coast airports)

I just tried some searches. No results. I wonder if it's still got a live feed to it's source.

They shot that robot from earth, at a point in space where mars wasnt expected to be for two months, they landed it, and it fucking works.
And the build quality is being questioned?
Holy shit.
Really just the seams on the cabin. Like it looks like they missed on the one rivet/bolt and decided "fuck it, the head of it will hold down the edge." The whole horizontal seam looks kinda patchy. Maybe it's an intentional flex line. IDK. BURNT!!seams.jpg

Last edited:
they absolutely did not do that.
But would you agree it doesn't look very finessed? All I did is crop and push the contrast up a hair. I'm on a fairly large monitor and it jumped out at me. I've done all sorts of bending and forming with brakes, presses and english wheel and I was nonplussed. Fuck me in the butt and move on I say.

But would you agree it doesn't look very finessed? All I did is crop and push the contrast up a hair. I'm on a fairly large monitor and it jumped out at me. I've done all sorts of bending and forming with brakes, presses and english wheel and I was nonplussed. Fuck me in the butt and move on I say.
Jesus fucking Christ, just stop.

Time for a refresher on Dunning/Kruger it seems.

Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.64.2655&rep=rep1&type=pdf

People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains. The authors suggest that this overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it. Across 4 studies, the authors found that participants scoring in the bottom quartile on tests of humor, grammar, and logic grossly overestimated their test performance and ability. Although their test scores put them in the 12th percentile, they estimated themselves to be in the 62nd. Several analyses linked this miscalibration to deficits in metacognitive skill, or the capacity to distinguish accuracy from error. Paradoxically, improving the skills of participants, and thus increasing their metacognitive competence, helped them recognize the limitations of their abilities.

You do realize that they're not building an iPhone for mouthbreathers, right? Function > form

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum