Ontopic Mission to Uranus

Is there a point to colonizing the moon, like long term? I understand it may have some minerals and shit, but not like it will ever hold an atmosphere.

I dont think the intention is to "colonize"
Just set up experiment labs and manufacturing facilities with rotating crews
Much science can be done in low-g
Mining, processing and manufacturing can be done with the intention of launching future missions to other points in our solar system and beyond.

For one thing, we still have to launch materials from here to there to make there the "easier" spot to work from.
No, the concern (from what I remember of the debate) is more about whether it makes sense to leave one gravity well (Earth) then leave another (Luna) to carry out future missions when you could just build a space station large enough to do it.

Is there a point to colonizing the moon, like long term? I understand it may have some minerals and shit, but not like it will ever hold an atmosphere.
At least 'let's see what we can learn short-term, and decide from there.' They can make it tiny to see if it's worthwhile. Even if it's not as useful as we hope right away, it may be useful in 50 yrs with some new tech that we're currently unaware of.

I seem to recall Mr Asa being banned from this thread and Darth and I lobbied for his reinstatement.
Or maybe I dreamed that?
Just saying.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes