Ontopic Mission to Uranus

What's aesthetically wrong with Falcon 9, Eddie?
It looks good to me @Strings - now go fuck yourself for drawing me back in.:mad::p I looked at Rovers past - damn were they assembled tight looking back in the day. I needed the pictures since I'm told I can't trust my geezer memory, despite having been alive at the time all of them were put in use. Them feckers had every seam buttoned down better than the button & tuck in a pimps Eldorado.
That's true, because if it crashes in the ocean the super-heated plume of water vapor won't be visible, unlike a big ol' steam cloud.
They just need to land where there is a big bed of bio-luminscent algea in case it's a dark, moonless night.

I heard them talking about it on the radio and it sounded very Carl Sagan-ish - - 11 BILLION miles from the sun. . .

fwiw, that's a little more than the distance from the sun to pluto three times,

or the sun to the earth - 118 times.

& while the distance sounds uge! it's nothing compared to the size of the universe.

& it was launched in 1977

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and Strings
I heard them talking about it on the radio and it sounded very Carl Sagan-ish - - 11 BILLION miles from the sun. . .

fwiw, that's a little more than the distance from the sun to pluto three times,

or the sun to the earth - 118 times.

& while the distance sounds uge! it's nothing compared to the size of the universe.

& it was launched in 1977

Moving at 34,191 mph approximate to the sun. The farthest and fastest moving man made object ever.
We can do some pretty cool things when we aren't killing each other.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Their definition of room temp is 0 c. And that is at a pressure similar to earth's core. Other physicists haven't embraced the results, some aspects of his claim are hard to prove.
All of this per the article.

futzing around with pressure is a tricky thing. Yes, its room temp, but at extreme pressures its probably harder to keep those going than it is to just do nitrogen cooling or something and not have it be room temp.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
futzing around with pressure is a tricky thing. Yes, its room temp, but at extreme pressures its probably harder to keep those going than it is to just do nitrogen cooling or something and not have it be room temp.
Yeah, the proposed superconductivity area is only a few micrometers across, trapped between some thick synthetic diamond anvils all around - so cooling is probably a bitch. Only resistance change has been measured directly, the second proof they need is an inferred result by changing the chemical makeup. The last proof is going to be damn hard with those diamonds in the way, since the magnetic/gauss field disruption would decay beyond measurement in an extremely short distance. Probably micrometers.
My earlier post was basically a "hold on, this may still take a while".

Bummed out that I'm going to miss the total lunar eclipse on Sunday. Supposed to get 1-2ft of snow. Last total lunar eclipse that I saw back in I think Sept or Oct of 2016 was awesome. Got so dark out that we did regular observing of DSOs without moon glare.