Ontopic I need to vent

Really? Sounded more like she was going to ignore it all until the situation goes nuclear.

Right. But NON-action is still a choice. Every day she wakes up knowing that her son is taking advantage of her and her husband is pissed off about it. By not taking any action, she's (unintentionally?) choosing her son's happiness over her husbands.

Ok, time for an update. Over the course of this week I have noticed the kid has started doing more stuff around the house. Intrigued, I go talk to the wife to figure this out. Seems she has found a whip and has started cracking it. She's tells me about conversations she has with other mothers she is friends with at her work, and the advice they have given her. Now the wife seems very motivated to push her son in the right direction.

She now doesn't tolerate him staying out all night. If he's not home by the predetermined time, she locks all door to the house and will not get out of bed to open a door when he does come home. She now wants him to have done the dishes (pack and empty the dishwashing machine) before she comes home from work, not after. She now doesn't allow him to take food nor drink upstairs. She now wants him doing odd jobs around the house to help out the household.

While promising, I am not holding my breathe. Though we shall wait and see.

Don't be. She will need positive reinforcement from you. He will need some appreciation from you.

I don't talk to him any more. And probably never will. It went too far for me. Now it's about her and her son getting him prepared for the real world and to stop pissing off other people in the house.

Don't be. She will need positive reinforcement from you. He will need some appreciation from you.

I don't talk to him any more. And probably never will. It went too far for me. Now it's about her and her son getting him prepared for the real world and to stop pissing off other people in the house.

hey. i totally understand your point of view, and however justified, just remember...they are both trying. you should, too. this is what true love, and family, is about. you can always go back to not talking to him again if he slacks off, but for now, they are BOTH trying. you should be in that pack, too. <3

i hope boy can see how his actions truly do affect everyone in the household. if he sees his mother happier, his stepfather taking steps to be positive to him, and he STILL has a life of his own, it might sink in that THIS is how the real world plays. balance is a crucial term EVERYONE needs to learn regarding EVERY aspect of life.

and whatever happens, DO NOT say "i told you so" or "i'm not surprised" or "i KNEW it wasn't gonna last." that's just confirming to boy that he IS hopeless (real chance there he truly believes this of himself.) if he sees that y'all DO believe in him and are TRULY disappointed if he does start screwing up, it'll surprise HIM.

don't be stuck as a stick in the mud...the past is GONE and the future NEVER happens. it's TODAY that counts...do YOUR part in leaving a positive mark on the chances you've got. <3 you're too smart to restrain your opportunities for happiness.