Ontopic I need to vent

OzSTEEZ

¡ɟɟo ʞɔnɟ ʇunɔ 'ᴉO
Nov 11, 2008
Oz
Marklar
₥25,442
So the wife's fucking son is hasn't changed at all since the last time we posted about this crap. In my opinion he's gotten worse.

Now that he's 18, he seems to have this ego about himself that he can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. I basically have a 18 year old leeching off of us. He still has no job, and there's been zero sign of him even attempting to look for one. He has no education, and is procrastinating on even applying for an evaluation to begin his GED. He does nothing around the house except a few dishes here and there. We have recently found two GPS systems in his room. He has no car, no reason at all to have those, so I'm fairly sure he's stealing other people's shit to fund whatever. I also catch him from time to time on my webcam with motion detection on, going through our room looking for whatever. He also recently took money off his younger 7 year old brother, tricking him by saying he would pay him back. The kid has never paid a debt in his life.

He trashes his room. We recently bought a queen bed for the spare room for when my parents visited last year. After they left, the wife wanted him to have the bed in his room. I was ok with that. Since then he has slept on that bed without a sheet a bunch of times soiling the mattress and roughing it up. He also went through a phase of sleeping with a down comforter without a cover, same with the pillows. Absolute filth.

Now my biggest problem here? Nothing is changing. Nothing at all. So much so it's actually getting worse. What makes it even more frustrating for me is that his mother doesn't seem to give a shit. Well sometimes she does. Like when he doesn't come home to see his brother of the school bus, and his brother is sent back to school and one of us has to leave work early to go get him. Then she cares. Then she comes up with all the good plans to solve this riddle. Yet then she proceeds to forget about it all and everything goes back to shit again. I'm mad as hell because I'm sick of this punk living in my home, the home I work hard to pay for, and I have absolutely no control over this kid myself. There is nothing I can do short of leaving this place and living by myself. Obviously not an option.

This kid has been nothing but a royal pain in the ass ever since I've known him.

/rant

ugh...

i know i'm in and out and don't post much, but last i had read, he had either been kicked out or left (or both.) when did he get let back in?

that really sucks and is a very difficult position to be in...for both you and the wifey, no doubt. :( it's ALL BS, but what i'd worry most about is the stealing stuff. sounds like it's just a matter of time before he trades one cot in for another...but i'm not sure he'll much care for the other cot. his life is going down the tubes QUICKLY.

can you meet with a lawyer for a free consultation to explain the facts and see what your options are...especially if there's stealing involved?

Never even thought about a lawyer in this circumstance. I just figured the kid would wise up, or the law would coax him to do so. I'm really not worried about him getting in trouble with the law. That's for his mother to worry about.

I'm worried about the strain this is putting on my marriage. Me and his mother do not see eye to eye on this, and that is creating huge arguments and problems for us. Both of us have stressful jobs and are usually high strung when we get home.

Never even thought about a lawyer in this circumstance. I just figured the kid would wise up, or the law would coax him to do so. I'm really not worried about him getting in trouble with the law. That's for his mother to worry about.

I'm worried about the strain this is putting on my marriage. Me and his mother do not see eye to eye on this, and that is creating huge arguments and problems for us. Both of us have stressful jobs and are usually high strung when we get home.

i can imagine how difficult this is BECAUSE of the strain it's putting on your marriage. :( not your kid, but your house...so you're not the dad, but you're the stepdad...and she's mom and wife, and in the middle, without either side to help support her completely...it's a messed up situation for all involved. :(

i wonder if you could explain that to the kid...pull him (by the ear) aside and using wife/mom as common point. "look, asshole, this is tearing your mother up...she's worried about you going to jail, she's fighting with me because i want your ass out and she loves your ass...what this is really doing is wrecking her health and her relationships with BOTH of us, so how can we make this better...so the woman we BOTH love can be happier?"

i know it sounds kind of crazy and desperate, but this situation is crazy and desperate...and even if he doesn't comply with YOU...maybe MAYBE it will get him to think about how his mom is drowning in this situation, and maybe he loves her enough to move his shit elsewhere or clean up his act FOR her.

:(

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
You and **** have to get on the same team. Can't do much of anything until that happens. It's fucking shitty that you've even had to think about moving out as an alternative. How does she feel about all this? Sorry to hear about this. :heart:

and where's the "real" father in this? depending on if he's got enough concern, would it be feasible to invite him in to the situation (even if you and he don't get along)? seems like that would send a strong message to juvenile if he knows you and his dad don't get along...but all of a sudden the dad is here in the picture and WORKING TOGETHER with y'all and "AGAINST" him, so to speak. ?? sometimes it takes a crazy perspective to get a point across. :eek:

Sounds like he's on the path to doing drugs and im not talking about weed.

It would suck if he went to jail too. Jail doesn't rehabilitate people, it just makes better criminals.

What about family counseling?

i can imagine how difficult this is BECAUSE of the strain it's putting on your marriage. :( not your kid, but your house...so you're not the dad, but you're the stepdad...and she's mom and wife, and in the middle, without either side to help support her completely...it's a messed up situation for all involved. :(

i wonder if you could explain that to the kid...pull him (by the ear) aside and using wife/mom as common point. "look, asshole, this is tearing your mother up...she's worried about you going to jail, she's fighting with me because i want your ass out and she loves your ass...what this is really doing is wrecking her health and her relationships with BOTH of us, so how can we make this better...so the woman we BOTH love can be happier?"

i know it sounds kind of crazy and desperate, but this situation is crazy and desperate...and even if he doesn't comply with YOU...maybe MAYBE it will get him to think about how his mom is drowning in this situation, and maybe he loves her enough to move his shit elsewhere or clean up his act FOR her.

:(

Unfortunately we've already been there. Already had that exact talk with him, multiple times. He knows exactly what is going on around the house, yet he doesn't care. He was doing this same thing to his father and step mothers marriage before he moved in with us. Hence why he moved in with us.

I have a idea that he wouldn't care if his mother and I divorced. In fact, he would probably prefer that.

You and **** have to get on the same team. Can't do much of anything until that happens. It's fucking shitty that you've even had to think about moving out as an alternative. How does she feel about all this? Sorry to hear about this. :heart:

It's the communication man. Or rather the lack there of. If I bring up this situation to talk about it, she gets frustrated and becomes very hard to talk to. I can understand her frustration, but obviously something needs to happen. :heart:

and where's the "real" father in this? depending on if he's got enough concern, would it be feasible to invite him in to the situation (even if you and he don't get along)? seems like that would send a strong message to juvenile if he knows you and his dad don't get along...but all of a sudden the dad is here in the picture and WORKING TOGETHER with y'all and "AGAINST" him, so to speak. ?? sometimes it takes a crazy perspective to get a point across. :eek:

The father is useless. Hardly call him a father unfortunately. Could be the reason the kid is the way he is.

Sounds like he's on the path to doing drugs and im not talking about weed.

It would suck if he went to jail too. Jail doesn't rehabilitate people, it just makes better criminals.

What about family counseling?

He's already there.

And regarding the counseling. That could work, but that would require cooperation from him and I'm almost positive he wouldn't go for that.

Sounds like an anal expulsive type taking a figurative and damned near literal "big shit" on his surroundings which he demonstrably hates. I think you need to find some sort of common ground with which to gain respect for each other. It's not a one way street. Make friends with him and fight the issue from the same side. Heavy handed opposition has yielded nothing but hurt all around so far. /clueless non-parent

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
Sounds like an anal expulsive type taking a figurative and damned near literal "big shit" on his surroundings which he demonstrably hates. I think you need to find some sort of common ground with which to gain respect for each other. It's not a one way street. Make friends with him and fight the issue from the same side. Heavy handed opposition has yielded nothing but hurt all around so far. /clueless non-parent

Been down the friendship road with him. We hung out quite a bit. After the lies, stealing, and rummaging through my person stuff, I lost all respect for him. Now I'm at the point where I just do not care for him whatsoever. I just want him living elsewhere.

I can't give advice out of any sort of experience except for one of having been where your step son is now. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my kid to stop squirming while I'm changing her friggin diaper. I'm years behind you in this department. However, I think April is right. The kid is on drugs. He's uncaring about the people who love him, he's stealing, he's not following any sort of rules. Has he been in therapy? How about a mental hospital? Trying to be his friend probably won't work since he has no respect for you. People generally tend to respect their friends. You are the enemy in his eyes. Probably to his friends he's talking about how hard he's got it and what an awful home life he has. Maybe you could convince **** to send him off to one of those survival training type rehabs so he can see what an awful life really is like. I sympathize with both of you as I can see it from both perspectives and it sounds horrible.

What happened to moving back to Australia anyway? How am I going to come visit if you are still in boring Man-asses? Although I should come visit soon. It's been too long since we've seen you. You aren't going to believe how awesome my baby is now. She does more than just sleep and cry!

I can't give advice out of any sort of experience except for one of having been where your step son is now. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my kid to stop squirming while I'm changing her friggin diaper. I'm years behind you in this department. However, I think April is right. The kid is on drugs. He's uncaring about the people who love him, he's stealing, he's not following any sort of rules. Has he been in therapy? How about a mental hospital? Trying to be his friend probably won't work since he has no respect for you. People generally tend to respect their friends. You are the enemy in his eyes. Probably to his friends he's talking about how hard he's got it and what an awful home life he has. Maybe you could convince **** to send him off to one of those survival training type rehabs so he can see what an awful life really is like. I sympathize with both of you as I can see it from both perspectives and it sounds horrible.

What happened to moving back to Australia anyway? How am I going to come visit if you are still in boring Man-asses? Although I should come visit soon. It's been too long since we've seen you. You aren't going to believe how awesome my baby is now. She does more than just sleep and cry!

We really do need to meet up again! I've got a friend in Olney who I visit from time to time. I'll let you know when I'm heading out that way next time and I'll bring J with my and will go grab a bite to eat. I can't wait to see how my the little princess has grown!

if nothing else, or until something does come about, i would lock EVERYTHING up and be around my house as much as possible. take EVERYTHING that's valuable and put it in one place that you can successfully lock up...or move it out and into a safe, or someone else's house. protect the young child and his possessions. post cameras up EVERYWHERE and make it known all his moves are being filmed AND RECORDED. make it difficult for him to live there, or undesireable. it might be a pain in YOUR ass to configure and get set up, but it might be the only option until you find something better. go a step further and lock up all y'all's food. put a passcode on the tv so he can't watch anything. take the door off his hinges (excuse me...YOUR door off YOUR hinges). make it so uncomfortable for him that he moves out.

i can't imagine how wife feels in this...i'm sure it breaks her heart. but she's probably too close to the situation to see clearly, or be able to give tough love. she's actually enabling his habits and behavior (i'm sure it's not easy NOT to), but she is fluffing the pillow for a drugged-out criminal. gone is the son she knows and loves. this person is living with a clouded brain/judgment, and if he's not going to help himself, she needs to understand that no one can help him...and any "help" she is giving is actually going to hurt him down the line. there comes a point where when you can't do anything to save another, it's time to save yourself, and that's where y'all are now. it's time to protect yourselves so no one else gets dragged in to this mess. :(

perhaps, in the meantime, you and your wife could find counseling together, so a trained professional could help the both of you find a page to stick on together. you're gonna need each other when things happen to this drugged criminal. she needs help right now, too, to see things as how they really are. and she needs to see that oftentimes an enabler distances herself from her OTHER loved ones (ie young son) who needs her, too, but can sometimes be overlooked because of the energy and focus given to another (who is disrespecting it and abusing it.) she needs to find a support group who can help her because THEY have been in the same place.