I Just Made a Lasik and Gyno Appt for Next Week -->

ChikkenNoodul said:
I thought that was because of that brouhaha with the cadavers and the football team's bus?
Nah, elpmis just realized he could look at naked old dudes for free on the internet without having to pretend to "work".

elpmis said:
The cornea gets like 3 percent thicker and pressure in the eye drops like 8 percent when you're pregnant - making eyes sight roughly 10 to 20 percent worse than normal

I'm pretty sure all of that goes back to normal after delivery
it's not just that, the hormonal influx also alters the pressure around the optic nerves and other nerves for that matter (many pregnant women report that their sense of smell remarkedly decreases, which has been shown in a recent journal article to be linked to the swelling of the hypothalamus).

maybe my eyesight will finally be 20/20 when i choose to have kids :fly:

F33nX said:
it's not just that, the hormonal influx also alters the pressure around the optic nerves and other nerves for that matter (many pregnant women report that their sense of smell remarkedly decreases, which has been shown in a recent journal article to be linked to the swelling of the hypothalamus).

Didn't you see the part of my post where I said "eye pressure drops about 8 percent"

I just didn't go into detail because I figured no one would give a shit or they could just google it if they wanted to know more (like u did)

elpmis said:
Didn't you see the part of my post where I said "eye pressure drops about 8 percent"

I just didn't go into detail because I figured no one would give a shit or they could just google it if they wanted to know more (like u did)

Cat fight! :fly:

elpmis said:

pressure of optic fluid is NOT the same as pressure around the optic nerve:rolleyes:
and for the record, i didn't google it. pubmed is my only source for medical information these days, and i read the paper about 2 months ago. gives me something to do in my down time from phd work.

Thorn Bird said:
you know you just wanted to be a nurse so you could be around 1,000 women every day.
hahaha

nah I wanted to be a Pathologist, sadly my attention span, and funds, ran the fuck out

fuck you johns hopkins

F33nX said:
pressure of optic fluid is NOT the same as pressure around the optic nerve:rolleyes:
and for the record, i didn't google it. pubmed is my only source for medical information these days, and i read the paper about 2 months ago. gives me something to do in my down time from phd work.
hold the phone

optic fluid rises roughly 4% and optic nerve pressure is the same amount, no?

I said EYE PRESSURE - I didn't mean specifically optic fluid OR nerve

I WAS GENERALIZING THE WHOLE DAMN THING

elpmis said:
hold the phone

and i said AROUND the nerve, not IN the nerve. jebus. and technically speaking, the eye is just the orb in the socket, not pertaining to the rest of the optic system. the vitreous gel levels only rise in the eye itself iirc, otherwise it would cause all sorts of problems with signal transduction in the nerve moreso than just blurry vision.

elpmis said:
hold the phone

and by "rises" I mean "drops"

the eye basically gets smaller

F33nX said:
and i said AROUND the nerve, not IN the nerve. jebus. and technically speaking, the eye is just the orb in the socket, not pertaining to the rest of the optic system. the vitreous gel levels only rise in the eye itself iirc, otherwise it would cause all sorts of problems with signal transduction in the nerve moreso than just blurry vision.
I knew what you meant

I think the gel levels lower and don't rise, but I can't recall for sure

F33nX said:

i know of many pregnant women whose smells are on overdrive, and they're out of whack. i know i would just be sitting there, and all of a sudden some WEIRD smell would hit me and stay with me.
my girlfriend was driving down the interstate and all of a sudden, smelled bananas. it stuck with her for awhile.
pregnancy's a WEIRD thing!!

Thorn Bird said:
i know of many pregnant women whose smells are on overdrive, and they're out of whack. i know i would just be sitting there, and all of a sudden some WEIRD smell would hit me and stay with me.
my girlfriend was driving down the interstate and all of a sudden, smelled bananas. it stuck with her for awhile.
pregnancy's a WEIRD thing!!
once again you can blame increased levels of estrogen for that one

elpmis said:
once again you can blame increased levels of estrogen for that one

damned hormones.
all i craved to eat when preggers was steak steak steak. others i know couldn't STAND the thought/smell/sight/taste/touch of certain foods. something they loved they then couldn't stand. or they couldn't cook/eat meat. it's very weird.

Thorn Bird said:
damned hormones.
all i craved to eat when preggers was steak steak steak. others i know couldn't STAND the thought/smell/sight/taste/touch of certain foods. something they loved they then couldn't stand. or they couldn't cook/eat meat. it's very weird.

I keep craving Hamburgers.