Home Theatre Question...

theacoustician said:
If you can't do something right, don't do it at all.

That's highly objective tho. Some people are fine with a $500 speaker/dvd/amp system and to them that's right. Y would the line worker in our converting department need a $10k system in his doublewide?

theacoustician said:
No, $500 is $500 in the bucket for what I want to buy.

Good point.

With my current setup that's lasted me over 5 years now, I spent about $3000 on it. That was components, cables and speakers only. Now that the house is for sale, I'm gonna be itchin' to dump that old shit and get something new.

You and I are going to need to have some serious talks about that network stuff we were going over last week. Very serious talks :)

theacoustician said:
No, $500 is $500 in the bucket for what I want to buy.

You are no fun. If you want a $20k system, buy something now. Jesus, who wants to go 10 years watching movies on a 32" tube. wtf man.

Im only gonna eat bread and water until I can save enough to stay and eat in a penthouse at the Waldorf-Astoria.

BigDov said:
Good point.

With my current setup that's lasted me over 5 years now, I spent about $3000 on it. That was components, cables and speakers only. Now that the house is for sale, I'm gonna be itchin' to dump that old shit and get something new.

You and I are going to need to have some serious talks about that network stuff we were going over last week. Very serious talks :)

I thought you were thinking of finishing off your basement? Now you're selling the place?

Moving on up....

bast_imret said:
That's highly objective tho. Some people are fine with a $500 speaker/dvd/amp system and to them that's right. Y would the line worker in our converting department need a $10k system in his doublewide?
Yeah, but I'm thinking if you live in a double wide, a $500 system is like a $10k system would be to me.

theacoustician said:
Yeah, but I'm thinking if you live in a double wide, a $500 system is like a $10k system would be to me.

exactly.

I'm sure you have a good handle on what you want, but keep in mind, better and better technology will continue to come out. Once you finally break down and buy your stuff, I would assume most of it will probably be bested within a year.

BTW, the recent issue of Playboy had a colum in it on how to build a budget Hi-fi system. I think it came in around 23k. Comparable in the highend equip was up in the 100's. I'll see if I can scan it for you. Might be an interesting read.

bast_imret said:
exactly.

I'm sure you have a good handle on what you want, but keep in mind, better and better technology will continue to come out. Once you finally break down and buy your stuff, I would assume most of it will probably be bested within a year.
I think you're missing the point here, but I'd like to read that article just the same.

smileynev said:
I thought you were thinking of finishing off your basement? Now you're selling the place?

Moving on up....

It's done except for the ceiling :) Yup, after dumping two and a half years of hard work and oodles of cash into the place, we're selling. It's a great house, just not the best location....... it's on about half an acre but right on a busy highway. Just not cool with the kids running around at all.

:)

BigDov said:
It's done except for the ceiling :) Yup, after dumping two and a half years of hard work and oodles of cash into the place, we're selling. It's a great house, just not the best location....... it's on about half an acre but right on a busy highway. Just not cool with the kids running around at all.

Dude ... you know that's not why you're moving.

theacoustician said:
I think you're missing the point here, but I'd like to read that article just the same.

I guess the point is that you are saving up the money so you can buy the gear all at once to ensure best compatability of the technology, rather than buying part now and having to worry about new technology making it incompatable with gear that you would buy for the system in the future.

will do. I'll see if I can scan it tonight. Comment about the article was just an aside.

theacoustician said:
Dude ... you know that's not why you're moving.

It is. For really real.

After last week's fiasco extraordinaire, we took a long hard look at the situation and came to the conclusion that it's worth the effort to get this shit straightened out. Trust me, what I said before is exactly why we're moving.

BigDov said:

Find a new place yet?

BigDov said:
It is. For really real.

After last week's fiasco extraordinaire, we took a long hard look at the situation and came to the conclusion that it's worth the effort to get this shit straightened out. Trust me, what I said before is exactly why we're moving.

elaborate?

pics of wife?

bast_imret said:
I guess the point is that you are saving up the money so you can buy the gear all at once to ensure best compatability of the technology, rather than buying part now and having to worry about new technology making it incompatable with gear that you would buy for the system in the future.

will do. I'll see if I can scan it tonight. Comment about the article was just an aside.
Actually, I've sat in on some meetings lately that have given me insight as to how you will receive your entertainment for at least the next 10 years. This is really what's shaping my decisions right now. That's all I can really say on the matter.

theacoustician said:
Actually, I've sat in on some meetings lately that have given me insight as to how you will receive your entertainment for at least the next 10 years. This is really what's shaping my decisions right now. That's all I can really say on the matter.

insider information! Gimme gimme gimme!

theacoustician said:

The consumer drives how we receive our entertainment. The consumer electronics industry and the content providers think they can shape how and when we view and listen to things. But, ultimately, its the consumer that decides what is and isn't a success.

One of the most important things I learned in college was the idea that as a company you should determine what the consumer wants and build your products to suit that need, not the other way around.

theacoustician said:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Consumers are cattle that eat what they are fed.

Yeah, look at how well HDTV has taken off here in the US. Oh, wait....