Home Decor help

Usually I just see something and feel like it will go in a certain place in my house and buy it. I'm pretty happy with how my place looks so it works for me.

I also get ideas from HGTV. One thing I want to do when I have a bigger kitchen is to paint with magnetic paint and then paint with blackboard paint over it. Then you can use magnetic spice containers and write down grocery lists and stuff. Seems like a neat idea.

Usually I just see something and feel like it will go in a certain place in my house and buy it. I'm pretty happy with how my place looks so it works for me.

I also get ideas from HGTV. One thing I want to do when I have a bigger kitchen is to paint with magnetic paint and then paint with blackboard paint over it. Then you can use magnetic spice containers and write down grocery lists and stuff. Seems like a neat idea.

I have a chalkboard pantry door already, I love it (the kids do too and keep it decorating with an ever changing array of art).

My bed is going to be this bed

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LodZ9etRv...k/s1600-h/pottery+barn+farmhouse+canopy+2.jpg

I'm making it, so it can be whatever color I want, but I was leaning towards black, just cause it's really easy to match other furniture to.

Last edited:
I am not partial to canopy beds without the, you know, canopy.

That being said, figure out what you want your room to do for you. For chim and I, we just sleep, shag, and get dressed/undressed in our room so it's very simple; bed, dressers, closet. Minimally decorated because what's the point when no one goes in there and the times they do, the lights are off.

Since our new place is only a one bedroom (you should have seen the raised eyebrows from both sides of the family at that announcement) our current server room (read: second/guest bedroom) functionality will have to be integrated somehow.

Figure out what you want your room to do, then spec out furnishings to do that functionality. Go for quality parts so as not to go through this ordeal too many times. That means go for timeless pieces you could very well see willing off to your next of kin. With enough work, any color can change to any wall or piece of furniture so get something that structurally you like, then worry about the accents such as color or finish type.

For a stylistic feature, I like incorporating some non-traditional bedroom feature into the bedroom, like a LazyBoy in that corner, or a breakfast nook with outdoor iron furniture for two overlooking the window. Something that gives the room more unusual and tasteful function.

Personally I am a sucker for a vintage large sea chest at the foot of the bed. Something to sit on while you are putting your shoes on, something to store linens for the bed and extra pillows so you don't have to go looking throughout the rest of the house for them. Line it with cedar or throw in some cedar chips are you are set to go.

Also keep in mine you will have tiny fingers all over everything (kids included), so lots of tat will not work so well. Also, the more stuff you have, the more you have to clean. Keep it simple with understated elegance for a timeless room, free from clutter, so that it is relaxing and homely.

But don't forget the mirrored ceiling and stripper poll near the foot of the bed

(Welcome Knyte).

Also keep in mine you will have tiny fingers all over everything (kids included), so lots of tat will not work so well. Also, the more stuff you have, the more you have to clean. Keep it simple with understated elegance for a timeless room, free from clutter, so that it is relaxing and homely.

homely :fly: