Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

Got my results back from the first doctor's appointment I've had in 30 years. And it's surprisingly good considering all the shit I've been doing to myself during that time.

Was expecting at least something if not a few things to be off the charts but it isn't so.
Cholesterol is slightly high but only a few points out of what is considered the normal range.
Testosterone is in the normal range albeit towards the low end of it.
Lung function is something less than normal for my size/age, obviously from smoking God knows what all those years, but not dangerously low or enough to diagnose it as some official problem.

Doc says got a couple things that are a little bit out of spec and a big long list of stuff that is in spec, and the things that are a little out or getting close to the edge can all be fixed with simply "live healthier". No medications or other procedures needed.

Not bad for a 50 year old fat fuck who's been treating his body as an amusement park.

Calling in Monday to schedule a colonoscopy. Recommended lung cancer screening at age 55. That's it.

How the hell I didn't have cholesterol off the charts, clogged arteries, and a failing liver by now is beyond me but no gnus is good gnus.

Doctor seems like a real good guy. He's a little bit younger than me but not young. Old enough to have a good bit of experience to draw from but not too old to where he's set in his ways or just going through the same old routine or has become disheartened or bitter with his chosen profession, etc. Real easy to talk to, matter of fact, tells you what he thinks, recommends stuff based on his experience and current science and things but isn't pushy or judgy or anything. Good dude.

His nurse or assistant or whatever is awesome and friendly to boot. Lady around my age. Obviously really knows her shit but again real personable and easy to talk to. Full of experience and good advice but chats with you like you're a friend or neighbor.

Phlebotomist is world class. This girl could drain a gallon out of you and you'd never know it. I wish she would've drained a couple more tubes full even if they weren't needed, just so I could watch her work a little longer.

Really everyone from the front desk girl all the way through was really good. Time to write a glowing review.

I'll be around to disgust and bother and make y'all uncomfortable for a long time to come, unless I die in a fiery crash on the way home or something.

In other words, I thought I might have something interesting or cool to add to the health thread but I got nothin'.

I’ve dealt with ibs for over 20 years. Thought bubbly guts and constant gas was just the way things had to be and I have an ever growing list of foods that make me hurt so bad I stopped eating them. Was looking something up the other day (after having to add brownies to that list) and discovered the crazy low fodmap diet. A bunch of things in the no list I already know bother me so I figured I’d try it. It’s been five days and I keep waiting for my guts to rumble but they don’t and I feel normal again. There were a couple things on the list I never would have suspected that are probably causing me most trouble. I didn’t think I’d ever feel normal again. As a side bonus, I’m also down 5 lbs this weekend. I’m assuming due to lack of bloating and general intestinal upset.

Eventually I start trying foods on the no list one at a time to find out which ones are my triggers and which ones I can eat and still feel good.

Got my results back from the first doctor's appointment I've had in 30 years. And it's surprisingly good considering all the shit I've been doing to myself during that time.

Was expecting at least something if not a few things to be off the charts but it isn't so.
Cholesterol is slightly high but only a few points out of what is considered the normal range.
Testosterone is in the normal range albeit towards the low end of it.
Lung function is something less than normal for my size/age, obviously from smoking God knows what all those years, but not dangerously low or enough to diagnose it as some official problem.

Doc says got a couple things that are a little bit out of spec and a big long list of stuff that is in spec, and the things that are a little out or getting close to the edge can all be fixed with simply "live healthier". No medications or other procedures needed.

Not bad for a 50 year old fat fuck who's been treating his body as an amusement park.

Calling in Monday to schedule a colonoscopy. Recommended lung cancer screening at age 55. That's it.

How the hell I didn't have cholesterol off the charts, clogged arteries, and a failing liver by now is beyond me but no gnus is good gnus.

Doctor seems like a real good guy. He's a little bit younger than me but not young. Old enough to have a good bit of experience to draw from but not too old to where he's set in his ways or just going through the same old routine or has become disheartened or bitter with his chosen profession, etc. Real easy to talk to, matter of fact, tells you what he thinks, recommends stuff based on his experience and current science and things but isn't pushy or judgy or anything. Good dude.

His nurse or assistant or whatever is awesome and friendly to boot. Lady around my age. Obviously really knows her shit but again real personable and easy to talk to. Full of experience and good advice but chats with you like you're a friend or neighbor.

Phlebotomist is world class. This girl could drain a gallon out of you and you'd never know it. I wish she would've drained a couple more tubes full even if they weren't needed, just so I could watch her work a little longer.

Really everyone from the front desk girl all the way through was really good. Time to write a glowing review.

I'll be around to disgust and bother and make y'all uncomfortable for a long time to come, unless I die in a fiery crash on the way home or something.
good on ya for scheduling the colonoscopy, if it's anything like it is around here it may be a few months yet before they can get you scheduled for a screening one but they'll get to it eventually! the prep is a bitch but follow the directions because if you're not all the way cleaned out, you'll just have to go back and do it all over again. you'll probably need to plan to have someone take you home afterwards bc of the sedation, so plan for that, too!

• Love
Reactions: HipHugHer
good on ya for scheduling the colonoscopy, if it's anything like it is around here it may be a few months yet before they can get you scheduled for a screening one but they'll get to it eventually! the prep is a bitch but follow the directions because if you're not all the way cleaned out, you'll just have to go back and do it all over again. you'll probably need to plan to have someone take you home afterwards bc of the sedation, so plan for that, too!
Thanks and ya I found out those medical folks are busy busy. That's a growth industry for sure. Just my basic-ass appointment happened like a month and a half after I asked "when's you next opening?"

To be fair they could've got me in a bit sooner but I had a trip planned and my weird work schedule means Thursdays and Fridays are ok and every other Wednesday is ok if I got my calendar straight but Mondays and Tuesdays are out as well as every other Wednesday, etc.

Going through the process and dealing with those folks and seeing an (albiet small) example of the shit they have to deal with every day will give you a good dose of appreciation for the folks that work in that field that's for sure. They're pretty awesome.

• Gravy
Reactions: august
Thanks and ya I found out those medical folks are busy busy. That's a growth industry for sure. Just my basic-ass appointment happened like a month and a half after I asked "when's you next opening?"

To be fair they could've got me in a bit sooner but I had a trip planned and my weird work schedule means Thursdays and Fridays are ok and every other Wednesday is ok if I got my calendar straight but Mondays and Tuesdays are out as well as every other Wednesday, etc.

Going through the process and dealing with those folks and seeing an (albiet small) example of the shit they have to deal with every day will give you a good dose of appreciation for the folks that work in that field that's for sure. They're pretty awesome.
yeah, primary care is super overworked, there's a shortage of doctors in that field even before you factor in the idea of like, medical deserts in rural areas. I started to type up a bunch of reasons why that's the case but it was just bitching & that's not where I wanted to go with it. it's a tough gig. and preventive care is incredibly important, not just for health reasons because that should be obvious, but even from a purely financial perspective, having robust programs for screening and preventing illness saves money long term because it costs less to do 100 screenings than it does to treat 1 late-stage issue that could have been caught and treated early (these are convenient example numbers from my butt, I did have some actual examples at one point but I cba to find the paper I wrote on it right now)

• Gravy
Went to my gastroenterologist appointment yesterday for 6 month follow-up. Good news: my blood numbers for Celiac Disease are now normal, after following a fairly strict gluten-free diet. It will take more months if not years for my GI tract to fully heal from damage done by gluten. But I am on the road to recovery.

Not so good news: still have elevated blood numbers for my liver and still have anemia, requiring further diagnostic tests with a camera pill to swallow that records my entire GI tract to look for bleeding or lesions. I feel fine otherwise, maybe a little more tired than usual, often falling asleep at 8 or 9pm. Feeling no different going gluten-free. Asymptomatic case right here which my GI doctor (well NP) doesn't see too often. I am grateful for modern medicine and getting into the mindset to better take care of myself.

Went to my gastroenterologist appointment yesterday for 6 month follow-up. Good news: my blood numbers for Celiac Disease are now normal, after following a fairly strict gluten-free diet. It will take more months if not years for my GI tract to fully heal from damage done by gluten. But I am on the road to recovery.

Not so good news: still have elevated blood numbers for my liver and still have anemia, requiring further diagnostic tests with a camera pill to swallow that records my entire GI tract to look for bleeding or lesions. I feel fine otherwise, maybe a little more tired than usual, often falling asleep at 8 or 9pm. Feeling no different going gluten-free. Asymptomatic case right here which my GI doctor (well NP) doesn't see too often. I am grateful for modern medicine and getting into the mindset to better take care of myself.
Dang, I hope you get it figured out soon. Or before modern medicine bankrupts you. Hopefully you're at your out of pocket max for the year.

Dang, I hope you get it figured out soon. Or before modern medicine bankrupts you. Hopefully you're at your out of pocket max for the year.
Yeah met my insurance deductible with that $18,000 sinus surgery plus $4000 endoscopy plus whatever the colonoscopy cost me.

After this GI tract imaging, doctors will have poked and prodded every part of my body. Nothing and nowhere to hide.

• Gravy

probably a dumb question, but have they checked your B12? GI stuff, especially something like celiac that affects absorption of nutrients in the small intestine, can fuck you up so you don't absorb enough B12 and it can cause anemia.

• Gravy
probably a dumb question, but have they checked your B12? GI stuff, especially something like celiac that affects absorption of nutrients in the small intestine, can fuck you up so you don't absorb enough B12 and it can cause anemia.
Yup, B12, Iron, Vitamin D, all normal. Folic acid is high but likely due to the multivitamin that I take daily (170% recommended value). Calcium is slightly below low threshold but not uncommon with CD. I also had a bone density scan done. Arms and legs at "moderate" risk for fracture. Hips were good tho!

yeah, primary care is super overworked, there's a shortage of doctors in that field even before you factor in the idea of like, medical deserts in rural areas. I started to type up a bunch of reasons why that's the case but it was just bitching & that's not where I wanted to go with it. it's a tough gig. and preventive care is incredibly important, not just for health reasons because that should be obvious, but even from a purely financial perspective, having robust programs for screening and preventing illness saves money long term because it costs less to do 100 screenings than it does to treat 1 late-stage issue that could have been caught and treated early (these are convenient example numbers from my butt, I did have some actual examples at one point but I cba to find the paper I wrote on it right now)
You're right about all that stuff and I am fortunate to live in a modern, vibrant city with really good medical care, even though I don't like what this place has turned into in most other aspects.

I obviously have little experience in this, mostly through other people instead of firsthand, but it seems like big insurance is starting to come around to the idea that prevention or at least early diagnosis now can save them big bucks later, at least maybe, sometimes, a little bit, with stuff like low or even no cost/copay/full coverage for things like regular checkups, preventative screenings or labwork, etc.

Invest a little now to save a lot later, not unlike checking the fluids in your car regularly instead of waiting for some catastrophe to happen and then figuring out what went wrong.
Seems like common sense for those of us who possess such a thing but the wheels of progress turn slow I guess.

I'm sure I'm still getting hosed somewhere, just ain't figured out where yet. Would have to look up the details of the policy again but that's more of a "it's the system" type thing. The folks that work under that system and are actually doing the work seem like a good bunch of folks.

Somethings gonna fall off @Jehannum again
The bruise is progressing up the nail. I basically marinated the finger in ben gay last night to see if I could keep it from waking me up, which was mostly successful, except for when I found out that my thumb leads the way when I touch any other body part in my sleep.

The ol' Ben Gay Scrotum Freeze was unfun.

I tried the old "burn a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure" trick, but it didn't help.

Last edited: