Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

:wtf: 10 is very descriptive. Its the level of pain the patient is feeling. It really doesn't matter if that pain is a 5 to you.
Yeah but it doesn't actually mean anything. It means the person thinks they are in a lot of pain. It's a reference point.

Yes, and you treat based on their subjective level of pain. Are you trying to intentionally be obtuse?
No you dont :lol: But hey if you treat them and they feel better later you get an idea of how well the treatment is working.

That's how it was presented to me. I've never actually asked someone their pain level because that's not my job.

the pain scale can be an effective tool for treatment because you're comparing self to self.

I think the disconnect here is that @ZRH was trying to imagine what the thing that was being described would feel like *to him* & the (subjective) pain scale doesn't answer that. he would benefit more from specific descriptions of pain feelings (dull, sharp, stabbing, throbbing, etc.) and from comparisons to other specific injuries/ailments/surgeries/etc. he has already had.

• Gravy
Reactions: ZRH
the pain scale can be an effective tool for treatment because you're comparing self to self.

I think the disconnect here is that @ZRH was trying to imagine what the thing that was being described would feel like *to him* & the (subjective) pain scale doesn't answer that. he would benefit more from specific descriptions of pain feelings (dull, sharp, stabbing, throbbing, etc.) and from comparisons to other specific injuries/ailments/surgeries/etc. he has already had.
Yeah that is what I was saying.

Yeah that is what I was saying.
you presented your original part about this with a fair modicum of dick swinging about being a tough dude so I think it colored the conversation & then the topic got a little convoluted, but I at least understand that part of it.

I can't even pain-scale myself most of the time with any degree of personal certainty bc my brain is a sieve so I have a hard time remembering what past pains have felt like with enough specificity to compare to current pain :lol:

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Most places have moved to the face scale by now right too

I appreciate the very specific descriptors in there of each of the levels. it also makes it easier to try to classify chronic pain, like my SI shit is a constant background radiation of discomfort/pain with acute spikes, & it's hard to quantify the chronic pain. it gets much worse, so it can't be TOO high, but it's constant and that shit builds up lol

you presented your original part about this with a fair modicum of dick swinging about being a tough dude so I think it colored the conversation & then the topic got a little convoluted, but I at least understand that part of it.

I can't even pain-scale myself most of the time with any degree of personal certainty bc my brain is a sieve so I have a hard time remembering what past pains have felt like with enough specificity to compare to current pain :lol:
I think it's better reading to present things with a bit of colour. My entire point was that it's self referential, not really descriptive.

I appreciate the very specific descriptors in there of each of the levels. it also makes it easier to try to classify chronic pain, like my SI shit is a constant background radiation of discomfort/pain with acute spikes, & it's hard to quantify the chronic pain. it gets much worse, so it can't be TOO high, but it's constant and that shit builds up lol
i do too, ive never actually read the descriptors before. On the old 1-10 scale, I thought id never felt anything above about a 4 and ive had some pretty traumatic injuries.

By those descriptions, its about right. 4-5 is the max ive ever felt.

SO WHY WOULD TELLING ANYONE THAT IT IS A TEN BE A GOOD DESCRIPTION OF THE PAIN?! *twitch*
Because it would be a good description of the level of pain you're feeling? wtf is wrong with you?

edit: You do understand that there's no way for people to compare pain levels between them, right? RIGHT?

Because it would be a good description of the level of pain you're feeling? wtf is wrong with you?

edit: You do understand that there's no way for people to compare pain levels between them, right? RIGHT?
On a subjective scale! >.<

Yes, but say I've had a sore throat. Tender lymph nodes, annoying burning sensation in the throat, etc. Pretty good description.