Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

My sister had super heavy period issues (finally got a hysterectomy to fix them) and it was causing anemia and no energy. After a couple iron shots it was like night and day. Def worth checking in to
Sounds like a possible! I was anaemic as a teenager I believe so maybe I'm prone to it. It would be amazing if this could be treated quickly and I could be back to normal.

My sister had super heavy period issues (finally got a hysterectomy to fix them) and it was causing anemia and no energy. After a couple iron shots it was like night and day. Def worth checking in to
Good suggestion. Not kicking the vegan lifestyle but iron is sometimes hard to get within that diet. Depending. And she's going to get depleted if her flows are super heavy. Eat some steak Dory. Requiem for a Period.

Good suggestion. Not kicking the vegan lifestyle but iron is sometimes hard to get within that diet. Depending. And she's going to get depleted if her flows are super heavy. Eat some steak Dory. Requiem for a Period.
Never liked steak so I wouldn't eat it even if fancied bovine. I can't think where I get iron from but I imagine from all the kale and such. My body might find it difficult to keep iron though given it's happened before.

I also promise that I'm not bagging on your food choices, but this is sadly correct. Heme iron is the most bioavailable iron you can consume, and it only comes from animal products. It gets a lot harder with just veggies.

edit: Obviously its not impossible, but either way, you really should start paying attention to your iron intake! :heart:

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I also promise that I'm not bagging on your food choices, but this is sadly correct. Heme iron is the most bioavailable iron you can consume, and it only comes from animal products. It gets a lot harder with just veggies.

edit: Obviously its not impossible, but either way, you really should start paying attention to your iron intake! :heart:
I didn't know red kidney beans were an animal product! Shit!

Tbh the animal product you're talking about is red meat. I hate red meat anyway so vegan, veggie or carnivore I wouldn't be getting it from that source.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie

Tbh the animal product you're talking about is red meat. I hate red meat anyway so vegan, veggie or carnivore I wouldn't be getting it from that source.
They come from kidneys, for fuck's sake.

Maybe you're havign some sort of iron absorption issue. anyway, maybe get it checked, not like you can do it at home.

We're in our second month of meat-free here. I've lost just shy of 30 lbs., the missus 15-ish. But we're still jonesing for some steak. mmmm, steak.

I had to Google this, but heme iron is in red meat, poultry, and even seafood.

If im anaemic its not due to a lack of eating animal, its due to an excess of blood flooding out my vagina. Ill see what the docs say today. I just got up, went to poop, came downstairs and am struggling to breathe. This sucks.
I'm with fly on this one - you may be eating plenty of iron but still not absorbing it because as fly is saying(but not exactly underscoring), non-heme iron doesn't get absorbed well. A common symptom of iron deficiency IS shortness of breath. THe most common suggestion for getting more non-heme iron into your blood is to eat vitamin C with the meal. If that's impractical, take a non-acid form of vitamin C(acetate not ascorbate) with your high iron meals. It won't bother your stomach, take as much as you want.
We've put on a shit ton of weight without eating meat :lol:
Well yeah, you drink a shit ton of booze (it's my weak spot too :rolleyes:). And many vegans eat a fairly high carb diet. We are doing zero meat and maximum low carb. Been comparing all the different grains and shit like an FDA scientist. I make/control the meals so I am shooting for about 1000 calories a day.

And now a word from Mr. Alice Cooper.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Peppers