Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

I think there is an effort to do away with shared rooms for adults.

Out of all my hospital stays, I was in a shared room for less than 2 hours and that was due to overcrowding.

I don’t think there are any double occupancy rooms in the hospital I’m currently in. Thank goodness.
largely driven by HIPAA. If you're in a shared room, your unrelated, non-authorized, roommate essentially has access to all your personal medical info just by being there.

Actually I do have a cool hospital story, waking up during one of my foot surgeries. Was laying on my back and I think I pushed my head and chest up to see what was going on. My doctor denied it happened when I asked him a few days later.

That IS a cool story. The best I have is pissing all over once.

One pissing episode out of 30 KOs is within reason I’d think.

I think there is an effort to do away with shared rooms for adults.

Out of all my hospital stays, I was in a shared room for less than 2 hours and that was due to overcrowding.

I don’t think there are any double occupancy rooms in the hospital I’m currently in. Thank goodness.
After my big surgery for the cancer, I was in a room with some guy who had to have a nurse come in every 2-3 hours to drain the pus out of his knee.

That made me really nervous, especially after the second laparotomy (that they had to do after I busted the sutures in the fascia from the first one by sneezing). Later, when they started the chemo, the incision developed a couple dehiscences that I had to pack twice a day until they healed (which, of course, didn't happen until after the chemo was done, 3 months later), and the pus that was inside those made me wonder right up until the wounds closed whether I'd picked up whatever crazy-ass plague the knee guy had.

largely driven by HIPAA. If you're in a shared room, your unrelated, non-authorized, roommate essentially has access to all your personal medical info just by being there.
But that's no different than the ER. Those curtains aren't sound proof. HIPAA makes exceptions in these cases. Usually they don't say your full name as well.

Actually I do have a cool hospital story, waking up during one of my foot surgeries. Was laying on my back and I think I pushed my head and chest up to see what was going on. My doctor denied it happened when I asked him a few days later.
I had a very pretty Major, with eyes as green as a new citrus leaf, essentially lay on top of me to stop me from moving while she used the biggest god damned gauge of needle I have ever seen as an ice cream scoop on a metal filing that had flown behind my safety glasses and rusted to my eye.

I had a very pretty Major, with eyes as green as a new citrus leaf, essentially lay on top of me to stop me from moving while she used the biggest god damned gauge of needle I have ever seen as an ice cream scoop on a metal filing that had flown behind my safety glasses and rusted to my eye.
Eye injuries and surgery gross me the fuck out. Stay the fuck away from my eyes.

Eye injuries and surgery gross me the fuck out. Stay the fuck away from my eyes.
Generally, yeah. However she dropped some eye drops in my eye that numbed it completely and it was such a relief from the previous 9 hours of pain (I thought it would work itself out as I slept) that I would have allowed her to do just about anything else she wanted.

Generally, yeah. However she dropped some eye drops in my eye that numbed it completely and it was such a relief from the previous 9 hours of pain (I thought it would work itself out as I slept) that I would have allowed her to do just about anything else she wanted.
When I went in for the laser pew-pew surgery, the doctor didn't tell me that he would be putting enough pressure on the eye with his clamp to make it black out. That freaked me right the fuck out when it happened.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant and Josh
When I went in for the laser pew-pew surgery, the doctor didn't tell me that he would be putting enough pressure on the eye with his clamp to make it black out. That freaked me right the fuck out when it happened.
This is solely the reason I won't get laser eye surgery. I'd have to be doped up so much to not know what was going on.

I've had a catheter once during one of my hospital stays, no idea why as I was free to get out of bed and walk around. Not a pleasant experience feeling the tube scrape the inside of your bladder. And getting it taken out burns really badly. I don't recommend it.

She told me what she was doing as well, which I was very grateful for because I knew what to expect, despite how horrible it sounded.

Basically she made a cup out of her hand, placed it against her forearm and moved it while rotating the cup like you would to get a scoop of ice cream.

"There will be more rotation than side-to-side movement. I'll basically spin the needle between two fingers."

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
Sucks when that happens, chip hits your cheek and deflects under the glasses. I had that once with a carbon chip(old-school machining, EDM) and since there is no magnetism it's strictly a dig for them to get it out.:egads:

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I don't think I've ever had an overnight hospital stay, though. Just ER type stuff
I havent had one in a longtime. I was in when i was a kid for 3 days for a brain cyst thing, and then for one day in college when i got so dehydrated my heart went wonky.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I've had a catheter once during one of my hospital stays, no idea why as I was free to get out of bed and walk around. Not a pleasant experience feeling the tube scrape the inside of your bladder. And getting it taken out burns really badly. I don't recommend it.

I was asleep when they put mine in and awake when they took it out. I swear they did it that way just to see the look on my face.