Guy thread (and april) 3 dream cars

Lame-o said:
You have to have some balls to home-make that sort of device. You are literally putting your life in your own hands. That's crazy.
Yeah, that's gotta take some serious guts IMO as well. Though people have croaked on the expensive ones too, from setting the gas mixture wrong or some sort of equipment failure and all of a sudden you're breathing in poison. (50% O2 at 200ft for example)

I can't believe those things have cost that much for that long. Is the technology patented by them? I'm assuming it has a certain exclusivity if that's the case. Otherwise, with diving as popular as it is I'd be surprised that economics haven't taken over since and more companies started making them.
I'm not sure who owns the patents, Draeger makes them as well as a few other companies. Draeger invented the technology for U-Boat escapes IIRC.

That tank is awesome. I would loooove to go diving around WWII relics in places like that. Cool beyond words. Imagine if you were the guy who discovered hidden midget sub wrecks or something. You'd make Nat'l Geo. for sure.
Hell yeah, Truk is full of fairly shallow warship wrecks. In warm, clear water.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Nitrox, Heliox or Trimix, and yeah if you happen to use underwater voice communication you'll have a squeaky voice :D

:lol:

I'd be forced to use trucker CB lingo. Must be cool to hear a chipmunk say shit like "Easy on the backslide, good buddy. Lay off the hammer on the big slab, and check the chicken lights on the bobtail. That's a big 10-4, over and out."

fly said:
Explain the use of Nitrox? I thought nitrogen was bad...
It has it's problems, but it's not all bad. It's narcotic at high partial pressures, some people say they've felt it as shallow as 60 feet or so.

The other problem is the tiny bubbles that form in the bloodstream, which affects how long one can stay at a certain depth and increases decompression times for technical diving. They need to be offgassed before returning to the surface otherwise they expand causing the bends.

Nitrox referrs to a mixture of oxygen and nitrogen, where the oxygen content is higher than the 21% in air. Common 'mixes' are 32 and 36 percent oxygen, giving you longer times at shallower depths because of reduced narcosis and reduced nitrogen bubbles.

But most diving is still done using compressed air because it's cheap, and easier. Oxygen is volatile when compressed, so regulators and tanks must be oxygen cleaned before use with oxygen percentages higher than air (Usually because pure oxygen is pumped into the tank to blend with air).

Oxygen is also toxic in high partial pressures, the 'safe' limit is a PPO2 of 1.6, or roughly 180ft (PPO2 = # of atmospheres * oxygen %) So pure air is less toxic deeper than a Nitrox mix.

Ferrari F430 Spider - yellow's a bit much though...maybe titanium with black leather or even purple/black...483bhp @ 8500rpm - I bet that sounds nice

f430spider05.jpg

or

Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren

0112200416094442.jpg

And then an amphibious:

Gibbs Technologies
(NOVA I)

gibbs.jpeg

or

Anthon-Impuls

altkam.jpeg

Finally...

No explanation necessary:

hummer7_large.jpg

fly said:
Can nitrogen be completely removed from the air, eliminating decompression?
The replacements, such as in HeliOx (Helium obviously) also cause the tiny bubbles in the bloodstream, however less so than nitrogen - so decompression is reduced pretty significantly. Decompression is also done typically on nitrox these days, 50% O2 at 70 feet and shallower, and 80% or 100%O2 at 20 feet and shallower.

Too much helium isn't great either, you can take a serious hit to your nervous system at depths past 300ft on heliox. So that's one of the reasons why Trimix is generally used instead, even on shallower dives. The narcotic effect of nitrogen, actually seems to counteract the effects of HPNS. Of course, too much nitrogen and you're too drunk to operate effectively.

The other reasons being that Trimix is cheaper (helium is $$$$), and keeps you warmer since helium is a really good thermal conductor, you cool off faster in cold water.

The Ferrari F430 Spider is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better looking than the SLR

I can't STAND the look of the SLR, but I respect its power and I love McLaren. I see at least one SLR a month because I do some work right next to a Mercedes plant