general discussion thread v. lol content

Mrs. Valve

Dizzy Broad
Oct 6, 2004
The QFH
Marklar
₥3,864
since a few of us are feeling a little dehydrated from all the poo talk and are IMPATIENTLY waiting to see meet pics, here's a little debate/discussion thread. in the spirit of the short attention spans on this forum, here are my loose ground rules:
1. the question has to be something everyone can participate in. no red hat vs. gentoo, nintendo vs. sony, or glock vs. colt45 topics.
2. all responses must be either 30 words or less, or take the form of a haiku.
3. this is not a thread for personal attacks on someone's opinion (no "omg you think that? you suck" lame responses), just healthy office cooler discussion

i'll be giving rep points to neato responses and marklar to awesome responses.

5, 3, 2, 1, off blast!

Topic #1- TV censorship, yea or nay?

Who cares if there's swears?
We should choose what to see
Not the government.

I think television needs to be censored. Television is part of the consciousness of millions of homes throughout the country - particularly the young, who spend hours and hours watching a variety of tv shows. It is impossible for parents to constantly monitor what their children watch, and even if they do, how would they ensure that what comes up next on the commercial is okay to view? I've seen some commercials which contain sequences or events or shots that would be considered offensive or unacceptable by many.

To me discussing whether or not tv should be censored isn't the tough discussion, it should be censored, the tough discussion is HOW MUCH

F33nX said:
parents are lazy,
blame others for their actions
needs moar birth control

Hey now, be careful.
Birth control leads to dick jokes.
This thread avoids them.

Honestly though, I think the FCC needs to lay off with the censorship. It's the parents duty to decide what is and is not good for their children. The parents need to take the initiative and control the media their kids are exposed to. Granted, A parent can't always do this but if they make the effort I think the child does realize this and when the child is presented with obscene materials (and they all will at some time) then the child will have a sense that it is bad or wrong and will absorb it accordingly.

ERage said:
Honestly though, I think the FCC needs to lay off with the censorship. It's the parents duty to decide what is and is not good for their children. The parents need to take the initiative and control the media their kids are exposed to. Granted, A parent can't always do this but if they make the effort I think the child does realize this and when the child is presented with obscene materials (and they all will at some time) then the child will have a sense that it is bad or wrong and will absorb it accordingly.
agreed. someone that i know of has a son who got suspended for calling a kid a "fat fuck" and hitting him, in some sort of retaliation response from this kid calling him stupid. the kid watches southpark, but i doubt the parent had any sort of discussion with the kid about why cartoon characters can do that stuff and not real kids. i think censorship should start at home, not end there.

F33nX said:
agreed. someone that i know of has a son who got suspended for calling a kid a "fat fuck" and hitting him, in some sort of retaliation response from this kid calling him stupid. the kid watches southpark, but i doubt the parent had any sort of discussion with the kid about why cartoon characters can do that stuff and not real kids. i think censorship should start at home, not end there.

Glad I was skinny when I was in school, fatness came lat for this "fat fuck"

kiwi said:
I don't mind having an outside cat, but I'm not really into indoor ones for myself.

I really want a lab, but it will also be an outside dog.
if it's going to be an outside dog, it will probably be less family-friendly than if it had inside interaction. what's the hangup about an indoor pet?

F33nX said:
if it's going to be an outside dog, it will probably be less family-friendly than if it had inside interaction. what's the hangup about an indoor pet?

The fur and cleaning up after them and such. Knyte really wants a Jack Russell and that will be an indoor/outdoor dog, but the Lab will be an outdoor dog due to the size.