FYI For black history month I shall post some black stats

So here's another story from yesterday. Clearly another case of "white privilege" keeping this woman down and not her actions

A black Princeton professor is protesting her arrest during a traffic stop last week, saying she was mistreated because of her race by two white police officers who searched her and handcuffed her to a table.

The police chief in Princeton, N.J., however, said the officers had followed department policy in arresting the professor, Imani Perry.

The arrest of Dr. Perry, a professor of African-American studies, and the divergent views of how it was handled have reignited a debate on social media over police tactics and racial profiling.

The arrest came after officers stopped Dr. Perry around 9:30 a.m. on Saturday for driving 67 miles per hour in a 45 m.p.h. zone, Capt. Nicholas K. Sutter, the department chief, said in a telephone interview on Tuesday.

While Dr. Perry said in a message posted online that she was arrested over “a single parking ticket,” Captain Sutter said that the officers who stopped her — a man and a woman — learned during a routine check that her driving privileges had been suspended and a warrant had been issued for her arrest over two unpaid parking violations from 2013.
“The warrant commands the officer to take the person into custody,” Captain Sutter said.

The officers searched, handcuffed and placed Dr. Perry into a squad car, the captain said. At the police station, she was handcuffed to a workstation and booked. After paying outstanding fines totaling $130, he said, she was released.

Dr. Perry, who declined to comment via email on Tuesday, wrote about the episode on Twitter and Facebook on Monday, saying it had left her humiliated and frightened.

but you still won't answer my question I bring up everytime we get on this topic. Why aren't the other races in the same boat as the blacks? Is there something the Asians and Latinos did to get out of it?

or native americans, who were treated worse than almost everyone for a while

So here's another story from yesterday. Clearly another case of "white privilege" keeping this woman down and not her actions
d.

lol

i've had to do that TWICE. the second time i should have just paid the ticket out of the gate and didnt like a idiot cuz i didnt learn my lesson the first time.

the cops were totally cool about it, they were just like "we have to take you in to square it away, sorry" only rustled my hair a bit so it looked like a got beating for the other guys in the cell

which is inaccessible to many who grow up in poverty and end up with a criminal record or a lack of high school education

and even then the military can only take so many people, not the millions of people in poverty

but more importantly the idea that one should have to risk their life in order to have a chance of not living on the streets is morally reprehensible and shameful

ehhh, criminal record is their choice. This isnt Crime and Punishment, where they stole a loaf of bread to feed their family. Its petty thug shit.

but you still won't answer my question I bring up everytime we get on this topic. Why aren't the other races in the same boat as the blacks? Is there something the Asians and Latinos did to get out of it?

Because, again, it's an incredible complex topic and I'm not a fucking PhD in sociology.

But I'll do my best:

For starters your question is kind of invalid. Asians and Latinos didn't "get out" of anything. They still face oppression and discrimination in many forms. But part of why such groups of people were able to weather those problems throughout history is that many of them came here as immigrants with their families. Black people were essentially not allowed to form families and communities and support networks for each other for much of their history in this country. The vast majority have no ability to trace their family lineage beyond a slave owner and that ability to connect with your past is an incredibly powerful motivator for populations. The irish in boston were able to group together to support each other, the italians in jersey did the same. The chinese in LA and san francisco were fortunate enough to form communities near areas that were crucial to the shipping industry and were able to use white people's misconceptions of their culture to their benefit.

But black people have no pre-america culture to identify with. Such a thing was a significant factor in forming support networks and community ties.

Then there's the fact that laws were written specifically to segregate blacks from the rest of society, laws that were often applied to other races but not on the same scale. They were handed the absolute worst of the cards during the reconstruction phase - during which a lot of people tried their hardest to keep slavery around with share cropping - and during segregation. Except maybe the natives, they've always had the worst cards and we continue to ignore them or worse pretend that the crippling alcoholism and entrenched poverty isn't directly the fault of how this continent was claimed. Still, blacks had it worse than the other races because, again, the racially motivated laws at the time specifically targeted them.

Also, the population of black people in America was significantly larger than all of the other groups put together and were more spread around the country. Latinos and asians tended to concentrate in areas where, again, they could form communities and support networks. Yet they still face significant poverty, too. And they face much of the same institutional racism that the others do.

Basically the answer to your question is because America intentionally fucked black people a lot harder than Asians or Latinos.

or native americans, who were treated worse than almost everyone for a while

Yeah but that is an interesting topic. For the ones who integrated into normal society (I don't mean white society I mean American society) there seems to be nothing. Of course if you take the groups that chose to do the full reservation and be separate leads to different topics and issues.

Because, again, it's an incredible complex topic and I'm not a fucking PhD in sociology.

But I'll do my best:

For starters your question is kind of invalid. Asians and Latinos didn't "get out" of anything. They still face oppression and discrimination in many forms. But part of why such groups of people were able to weather those problems throughout history is that many of them came here as immigrants with their families. Black people were essentially not allowed to form families and communities and support networks for each other for much of their history in this country. The vast majority have no ability to trace their family lineage beyond a slave owner and that ability to connect with your past is an incredibly powerful motivator for populations. The irish in boston were able to group together to support each other, the italians in jersey did the same. The chinese in LA and san francisco were fortunate enough to form communities near areas that were crucial to the shipping industry and were able to use white people's misconceptions of their culture to their benefit.

But black people have no pre-america culture to identify with. Such a thing was a significant factor in forming support networks and community ties.

Then there's the fact that laws were written specifically to segregate blacks from the rest of society, laws that were often applied to other races but not on the same scale. They were handed the absolute worst of the cards during the reconstruction phase - during which a lot of people tried their hardest to keep slavery around with share cropping - and during segregation. Except maybe the natives, they've always had the worst cards and we continue to ignore them or worse pretend that the crippling alcoholism and entrenched poverty isn't directly the fault of how this continent was claimed. Still, blacks had it worse than the other races because, again, the racially motivated laws at the time specifically targeted them.

Also, the population of black people in America was significantly larger than all of the other groups put together and were more spread around the country. Latinos and asians tended to concentrate in areas where, again, they could form communities and support networks. Yet they still face significant poverty, too. And they face much of the same institutional racism that the others do.

Basically the answer to your question is because America intentionally fucked black people a lot harder than Asians or Latinos.

railroad building slave labor and concentration camps arent exactly happy fun time.

But I'll do my best:

this is insightful. But whats the solution? At some point you have to get over your history, or die out.

• Gravy
Reactions: Applesauce

A black Princeton professor is protesting her arrest during a traffic stop last week, saying she was mistreated because of her race by two white police officers who searched her and handcuffed her to a table.

The police chief in Princeton, N.J., however, said the officers had followed department policy in arresting the professor, Imani Perry.

The arrest of Dr. Perry, a professor of African-American studies, and the divergent views of how it was handled have reignited a debate on social media over police tactics and racial profiling.

The arrest came after officers stopped Dr. Perry around 9:30 a.m. on Saturday for driving 67 miles per hour in a 45 m.p.h. zone, Capt. Nicholas K. Sutter, the department chief, said in a telephone interview on Tuesday.

While Dr. Perry said in a message posted online that she was arrested over “a single parking ticket,” Captain Sutter said that the officers who stopped her — a man and a woman — learned during a routine check that her driving privileges had been suspended and a warrant had been issued for her arrest over two unpaid parking violations from 2013.
“The warrant commands the officer to take the person into custody,” Captain Sutter said.

The officers searched, handcuffed and placed Dr. Perry into a squad car, the captain said. At the police station, she was handcuffed to a workstation and booked. After paying outstanding fines totaling $130, he said, she was released.

Dr. Perry, who declined to comment via email on Tuesday, wrote about the episode on Twitter and Facebook on Monday, saying it had left her humiliated and frightened.

You picking out a single instance of someone being a bitch about a traffic ticket does not invalidate the idea of white privilege. You are smarter than this, stop playing stupid.

ehhh, criminal record is their choice. This isnt Crime and Punishment, where they stole a loaf of bread to feed their family. Its petty thug shit.

A criminal record for a 14 year old that, were he white, would more than likely be swept under the rug. When a child is raised in poverty and crime then that's all they are likely to know.

You call it petty thug shit but for a teenager who knows nothing else it's incredibly difficult to see alternatives. Choices are not something you make, they're something you're presented with. As a child if the only choices in front of you are engage with the other criminals or risk being a victim then you're going to make the one that most benefits you right then. Because you're a fucking teenager and don't have the sense of right and wrong that we do as adults.

railroad building slave labor and concentration camps arent exactly happy fun time.

not at all, that's part of the oppression that they faced. but spread that across a few hundred years instead of a few decades and you see why the situation is so much worse

But I'll do my best:

That's a weak answer since it's been over 150 years since slavey ended let alone slavery was focused on one area in the US yet there are areas of black communities that have been there with there families and weren't part of slavery yet there are still issues. Some of the other demographics have been here a shorter time than the 150 years with similar conditions and don't seem to have the same issues.

A criminal record for a 14 year old that, were he white, would more than likely be swept under the rug. When a child is raised in poverty and crime then that's all they are likely to know.

You call it petty thug shit but for a teenager who knows nothing else it's incredibly difficult to see alternatives. Choices are not something you make, they're something you're presented with. As a child if the only choices in front of you are engage with the other criminals or risk being a victim then you're going to make the one that most benefits you right then. Because you're a fucking teenager and don't have the sense of right and wrong that we do as adults.

Do you think the media they are exposed to like music and movies has anything to do with perpetuating, glamorizing, and reinforcing the negative ideas

That's a weak answer since it's been over 150 years since slavey ended let alone slavery was focused on one area in the US yet there are areas of black communities that have been there with there families and weren't part of slavery yet there are still issues. Some of the other demographics have been here a shorter time than the 150 years with similar conditions and don't seem to have the same issues.
It may have been 150 years since slavery was abolished, but it has barely been 50 years since the civil rights act of 1964, which to me signals the first sea change against the entrenched racism that was seen as simply a part of the culture up to that point.

It may have been 150 years since slavery was abolished, but it has barely been 50 years since the civil rights act of 1964, which to me signals the first sea change against the entrenched racism that was seen as simply a part of the culture up to that point.

Yes but once again the racism that existed 50 years ago wasn't exclusive to black people. It was to other races, jews, catholics, women, gays.

this is insightful. But whats the solution? At some point you have to get over your history, or die out.

No one is suggesting that these people are sitting at home thinking "my ancestors were slaves, I won't bother trying to get out of poverty". It has nothing to do with individuals "getting over" anything at all. These are all societal issues that individuals have little control over. So it's not something anyone can get over because it's not an individual problem.

I don't know what the solution is but the first step is not pretending that being born in a middle class white family is starting the race at the same spot as being born in a lower class black family. It's people understanding that populations don't make decisions the same individuals do and that those decisions are directed by environments.

Better infrastructure so people don't have to worry about drinking leaded water. Better education so kids actually have a chance of getting out of it. Better programs to help people in poverty that don't simply end as soon as they barely get their heads above water.

I don't know, a lot of people a hell of a lot smarter than us have been working at the problems for many years. But those problems take money to fix and they're always bumping up against idiots who say they're not problems or that they're the solely the fault of the people experiencing it.

• Gravy
Reactions: august