Ontopic Find all your Covid-19 needs here!

I get what y'all are saying about vaccination and prior infection protecting against the delta variant even if it does cause reinfection, but it looks like the delta variant is much more easily spread by the asymptomatic & immune (so you don't get sick, but you can still spread it if it's in your system, which is a change from the original virus & vaccine/immune response). also, more hosts = more replication/spread = more potential mutations/variants, and the next version to sweep the world might be even less affected by previous immunity.

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
I get what y'all are saying about vaccination and prior infection protecting against the delta variant even if it does cause reinfection, but it looks like the delta variant is much more easily spread by the asymptomatic & immune (so you don't get sick, but you can still spread it if it's in your system, which is a change from the original virus & vaccine/immune response). also, more hosts = more replication/spread = more potential mutations/variants, and the next version to sweep the world might be even less affected by previous immunity.
It might be less affected, it might be more affected. Mutations are random.

We'll be getting annual boosters for COVID, I have no doubt.

Get triple vaxxxed
I got Moderna, Pfizer, and Sputnik, I'm covered.

this shit is just gonna keep mutating til we all grow tails

Mucosal immunity? Sounds like @TuhMollie needs to start sharing some spit.
cat Heavy breathing GIF

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
IMHO, the possibility of immune escape is far away and extremely unlikely. For now, there's simply still too large of a well of unvaxed people for there to be any evolutionary pressure for immune escape.

Again IMHO, all boosters will end up being one of those 'if you want to', like the flu vaccine. The reason it was such a killer was that it was novel to the human immune system. After a single vaccine dose, that is no longer the case.

It might be less affected, it might be more affected. Mutations are random.

We'll be getting annual boosters for COVID, I have no doubt.

I got Moderna, Pfizer, and Sputnik, I'm covered.
yeah mutations are random, but the ones that are more spreadable/less protected against are by their very nature more spreadable/less protected against & will proliferate. there could be 1,000,000 mutations and even if 999,999 are benign/nothingburger, that 1 can still fuck us.

I guess my point is, even if I can take relative comfort in the fact that I am *unlikely* to end up hospitalized from this shit, I still prefer to do whatever small part I can do not to add to the spread/proliferation. I guess it's kind of like boycotting - I recognize that my own individual actions & choices aren't going to tip the scales & it requires collective action at a scale we're not seeing to make any sort of big change, but I'm still going to shoot to make the choices that make me feel like I'm not contributing to the problem.

I guess my point is, even if I can take relative comfort in the fact that I am *unlikely* to end up hospitalized from this shit, I still prefer to do whatever small part I can do not to add to the spread/proliferation. I guess it's kind of like boycotting - I recognize that my own individual actions & choices aren't going to tip the scales & it requires collective action at a scale we're not seeing to make any sort of big change, but I'm still going to shoot to make the choices that make me feel like I'm not contributing to the problem.
Right, so performative virtue.

You do you, but I'm done coddling the unvaccinated by choice. If I give some ridiculous fucktard who thinks the 5G COVID bats are a CIA replacement for birds a case of permanent asthma, then fuck him.

Kids I'd rather not mess with, so if I'm around them, I'll mask up.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Right, so performative virtue.

You do you, but I'm done coddling the unvaccinated by choice. If I give some ridiculous fucktard who thinks the 5G COVID bats are a CIA replacement for birds a case of permanent asthma, then fuck him.

Kids I'd rather not mess with, so if I'm around them, I'll mask up.
I'm not performing anything, I'm genuinely trying to keep people safe, including people in my own family that cannot be vaccinated due to age, like my kid. I get that different people are in different situations, and if you're only around people who are vaccinated (or could/should be), I understand feeling like fuck 'em. I have had stressing about my kid front and center since the start of it, so I haven't felt like I've been able to relax about it even with the vaccines, & so none of this feels like I've had to walk anything back.