Ontopic Find all your Covid-19 needs here!

what science is that. Please link.

Same stuff @fly is referencing. I'll dig up something when I have time, it's not like I keep a library of links ready to go on my phone at the job, :)

I mostly go by abstracts or at least articles summarizing/referencing actual studies by universities, government health organizations, etc. Not just some news site or media organization or whatever. Or pharma companies either.

In short, the stuff just doesn't survive long outdoors, and you need to inhale a good deal more than just a single virus to get infected. That's why the environment you're in and the duration of exposure to the other people make such a difference.

Being at a ballgame (or political rally :) ) with people shouting for 2 or 3 hours, yeah there's some amount of risk there being around that many people for that long, even outdoors just due to the density/proximity for the length of time.

Passing someone on a walking trail for a few seconds? Nah.

I pull it up anyways, mostly out of courtesy, but also in case they happen to hack up a loogee at just that second and it somehow lands on my nose.

what science is that. Please link.
What specifically are you interested in. There's various types of data:

* Droplet dispersion/evaporation/inactivation
* Contact tracing (in countries outside the US) that have found very few possible cases of outdoor transmission
* The amount of viral particles needed to be 'consumed'

And probably others, but thats off the top of my head. All of them suggest that outdoor transmission isn't a thing. In fact, the evidence appears so overwhelming, I'd ask that you find data that disproves that hypothesis. I'd love to read about it.

So it seems not everyone wins in the vaccine race. Merck was developing two possible vaccine candidates and had to shitcan them after Phase I trial data came back and it seemed that the vaccine caused a weaker response in people than the virus itself did. While it sucks, its another great example of how science works. Not every candidate will win, and some will huge money losses.

In other news, the data from the Phase III trials of Johnson & Johnson's vaccine should be available in the next 1-2 weeks. The preliminary data looked good, and most importantly - they tested a single dose. While it's probably not as effective as the double shots of the vaccines we have now, the data still looks really good!

:bast:

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon