Thread Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2011

A federal constitutional amendment to ban abortion or severely limit abortion is not in line with giving the power to the states to decide whether this is legal in their states. Right now, it has been determined that the 14th amendment is the one that protects women in this case and states have the right to make laws regarding abortion based on trimester. Ron Paul does not agree with this currently accepted arrangement and wants to change it. He says he doesn't want bigger federal government and then tries to make sure the federal government is more involved in an issue despite the fact that it's an issue that has already been addressed and finished by the federal government.

The Founders put in the ability to change the Constitution, so it is perfectly in line with Paul's beliefs to want to make an amendment to prevent abortions.

A direct quote:
"But I also believe in the Constitution, and therefore, I consider it a state-level responsibility to restrain violence against any human being.

I disagree with the nationalization of the issue and reject the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion in all fifty states. Legislation that I have proposed would limit federal court jurisdiction of abortion. Legislation of this sort would probably allow state prohibition of abortion on demand as well as in all trimesters. It will not stop all abortions. Only a truly moral society can do that."

http://inthearena.blogs.cnn.com/201...-exploratory-committee-writes-about-abortion/

The Founders put in the ability to change the Constitution, so it is perfectly in line with Paul's beliefs to want to make an amendment to prevent abortions.

A direct quote:
"But I also believe in the Constitution, and therefore, I consider it a state-level responsibility to restrain violence against any human being.

I disagree with the nationalization of the issue and reject the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion in all fifty states. Legislation that I have proposed would limit federal court jurisdiction of abortion. Legislation of this sort would probably allow state prohibition of abortion on demand as well as in all trimesters. It will not stop all abortions. Only a truly moral society can do that."

http://inthearena.blogs.cnn.com/201...-exploratory-committee-writes-about-abortion/

Yeah, which I disagree with 100%. I think there should be a right to choose. If you want to argue abortion I can do that, but you asked me why I don't like Ron Paul and I said I don't like his views on abortion. I also don't like that he consistently wants to make a bigger government while stating that he wants to make a smaller government. What you just posted is one example of that. Making constitutional amendments on social issues is, in my opinion, not making smaller federal government. I mean, we could make constitutional amendments on all kinds of social issues but I don't think that was the intention of our forefathers. It was a framework and the states are supposed to get the rights to decide on social issues. I know that it becomes tricky but I don't agree with making our constitution bigger and hiding behind that idea to push through opinions that don't belong in our federal government. Also, I wasn't aware of this new legislation he is researching. I was only speaking of his past attempts at legislation on this topic.

If you want the abortion debate, it's going to be on a personal note. When I was 21 I got pregnant. It was an accident but I was looking forward to the opportunity to have a baby. Then I got sick. My body began to not be able to fight everything that was going on plus support a baby. I was nearly 6 months pregnant and weighed 92 lbs when we made the decision (we being me, the father, and my doctors) to terminate the pregnancy in order to save my life. I still didn't want to do it, but at 6 months pregnant my baby didn't even weigh a pound and wasn't growing and they insisted that it wouldn't survive anyway. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do and I was devastated. I still am. When I think about it I think I could have a 14 year old son today. His name would have been Thomas Stephens. He was due on my birthday. According to Ron Paul, this is a situation which never occurs and there never has, in his whole life, been a case like this, yet I have lived it and seen it and I know there are others out there like me. According to Ron Paul, the girl who gets raped brutally doesn't have a right to choose that her body not change forever in favor of a life she didn't want to create (as he disagrees with all trimester abortions). According to Ron Paul a person who is carrying a child found to have Zellweger Syndrome doesn't have any choices either. Is it violence or compassion at that point? I don't know, but I think he's made up his mind and wants to make up the minds of all of us and I think we should have the right to vote on that, not have it forced down our throats.

Really though, I just want to talk about drugs, especially marijuana. I know you don't like it, but some of us do, and although I know this bill isn't going to pass, I hope it brings about a debate and some more support so future legislation can be more successful. I think it should be each states right to decide what they want to do with this one too.

I wonder. If they do legalize marijuana, would that mean that all those locked up for marijuana crimes will be released from prison?

I don't see how we could continue to hold people that are guilty of crimes that are no longer crimes. Seem inhumane.

I agree but I think unless it is specifically written into the law to pardon all criminals of that specific crime, they don't get out. I think the theory is that at the time they committed the crime, they knew it was illegal so that shows them to be of questionable character and they need rehabilitation for that. Then you have to consider who gets out. The violent criminals or just the poor schmuck who got caught with an eighth for the the 3rd time or both? I think it becomes complicated and nobody wants to touch it. I also think it's terribly unfair.

I agree but I think unless it is specifically written into the law to pardon all criminals of that specific crime, they don't get out. I think the theory is that at the time they committed the crime, they knew it was illegal so that shows them to be of questionable character and they need rehabilitation for that. Then you have to consider who gets out. The violent criminals or just the poor schmuck who got caught with an eighth for the the 3rd time or both? I think it becomes complicated and nobody wants to touch it. I also think it's terribly unfair.

a) Having a questionable character is not illegal.
b) Prison is not rehab.
c) Violent crimes are not marijuana crimes.

If they treat it like the old sodomy laws, during probation hearings they would be let out because they revisit the case.

What about those locked up during the alcohol prohibition? Were they released when prohibition ended?

a) Having a questionable character is not illegal.
b) Prison is not rehab.
c) Violent crimes are not marijuana crimes.

I agree almost completely. There are some violent marijuana criminals in jail. Mostly large scale dealers, but there are a few. I recognize it isn't the overwhelming majority though, not even close.

What about those locked up during the alcohol prohibition? Were they released when prohibition ended?

Yes, but it was written into the law ending prohibition.

I agree almost completely. There are some violent marijuana criminals in jail. Mostly large scale dealers, but there are a few. I recognize it isn't the overwhelming majority though, not even close.

I understand, but, if they were charged with a violent crime along with a drug offense, then they will have to remain in prison for the non drug crimes they committed.

Yes, but it was written into the law ending prohibition.

Then they will have a hard time not writing it into this one.

I understand, but, if they were charged with a violent crime along with a drug offense, then they will have to remain in prison for the non drug crimes they committed.

Then they will have a hard time not writing it into this one.

The thing about writing laws in this country is that laws do not necessarily set precedent for other laws. It's fucked up. They can do whatever they want and for disgusting financial reasons already mentioned, they probably won't.

The thing about writing laws in this country is that laws do not necessarily set precedent for other laws. It's fucked up. They can do whatever they want and for disgusting financial reasons already mentioned, they probably won't.

Well releasing them would be a huge reduction in spending.

Well releasing them would be a huge reduction in spending.

Maybe. It would mean a huge reduction in jobs too.

I really wish I could see the whole financial picture of the whole thing. I mean...okay...lets say we legalize marijuana nationwide, tax it, and legislate how we are going to distribute it. Supposing they allow for independent growers I guess not all the illegal drug dealers we have now will lose their jobs. Hopefully they can all apply for and receive licenses to distribute so they can continue. However, I'm willing to bet half the people now responsible for enforcing the current laws will lose their jobs. The other half will get retraining to enforce the new laws. The prisons will have less people to deal with so some people there will lose their jobs. So how does it play out? Do we wind up with a worse problem or a better thing? Does the tax benefits of selling marijuana and the creation of new jobs balance out to the loss of underground revenue and jobs from illegal marijuana? There are arguments on both sides but I've never seen a clear representation of what economists think the real impact would be. Has anyone here?

I see the adjustment being far less of a burden due to the advantages. All calculations done have shown a huge reduction in spending.