Does anyone here run MythTV?

it'd cost a helluva lot more locally.

you can also make your own.

vga-component-thumb.jpg

but, if you have DVI, then it would be better to get a DVI to component adapter. Run ya about $25.

Depends if the card supports that or not.

its free now. I dont know if they have opened their source, but they say its communityware now.

Interesting. Maybe a week (or two) ago it was $$$ to pick it up. Guess they couldn't get the job done.

But given that fact that you need a whole PC to use just one tuner I think I'd rather go with an HDHomerun considering what they support now.

Last edited:
Take the S-Video output (4-pin dealy) and the audio output and plug it into the inputs on your card. If you don't have an s-video cable you can use a composite cable, the Yellow jack with the fatty center pin that looks like a regualr audio connection.

You'll have to google for the USB-UIRT driver. Install that and then plug the USB-UIRT in. Then the software you are using will be able to control it.

What software are you using?

edit: here's the guide post from Hard Forums that'll have some info in it to help you out. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=759011

Take the S-Video output (4-pin dealy) and the audio output and plug it into the inputs on your card. If you don't have an s-video cable you can use a composite cable, the Yellow jack with the fatty center pin that looks like a regualr audio connection.

You'll have to google for the USB-UIRT driver. Install that and then plug the USB-UIRT in. Then the software you are using will be able to control it.

What software are you using?

edit: here's the guide post from Hard Forums that'll have some info in it to help you out. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=759011
Okay thanks! Didn't know if I needed that or the coax in. Wait, do I still need to connect that even though I have digital cable?

Okay thanks! Didn't know if I needed that or the coax in. Wait, do I still need to connect that even though I have digital cable?

Nope. The cable box is your source. If you didn't have a cable box and connected the coax direct that would be your source.

You only need one source. Anything more is a double penetration so to speak. :fly:

Nope. The cable box is your source. If you didn't have a cable box and connected the coax direct that would be your source.

You only need one source. Anything more is a double penetration so to speak. :fly:

So then is it not possible for me to get a 2nd tuner card? I can only take the output of my STB? :(

So then is it not possible for me to get a 2nd tuner card? I can only take the output of my STB? :(

Depending on the software you can have as many tuners as you'd like. You would need one source per tuner.

For example. I use SageTV which allows for unlimited tuners. I have two regular tuners with a cable box for each one. You can set up the USB-UIRT to control up to three boxes by using a splitter on the little jack on the back of it and some IR blaster eyes.

Alternatively, and what I used to do when I only had one cable box for my Sage server was I had one tuner with a cable box as it's source and controled by the USB-UIRT. Then the second tuner got a straight cable feed. You set up the different channel lineups within Sage, and Sage is smart enough to know what to do in terms of recording what shows from what tuner.

So one tuner had the Digital Cable channel lineup, and the one without the box had the regular Cable channel lineup.

Take a look at what two shows you'd want to record/watch at any given time. Say one is NBC and the other is HBO. You'd be fine with one cable box and one straight feed. Same for say NBC and CBS, because the free channels are on regular cable that you don't need a box for. The only time you'd have a problem would be when you want to record/watch 2 shows that you need a cable box to get. Like say HBO and Showtime.

So one box may be enough. You'd just need a second tuner card.

What Software are you trying out?

Myth definitely should be able to allow you to set up different lineups per tuner. I couldn't imagine that Sage is the only one that can do it. You can even alter sage's settings to give one tuner merit over the other. I did the same as Valve and had one tuner connected to a STB and the other to normal cable, but I had it set so that it used the STB box only if the other tuner was busy recording something else. (lessoned the chances of someone changing channels by accident on you) I used a serial cable instead of the usbuirt as well.

For the record, Windows MCE only allows one lineup, and it only accepts a max of three tuners, I believe. Mediaportal could do it, but it had issues the last time I tried but that was early in tvengine3's development. Its probably is fine now.

Okay, I should have really known this to start with, but this was a waste for me. I understand the technical limitations now, but myth or any tv card cant beat the dual hd tuner STB I get from Verizon for $6 a month.

I guess on the plus side, I can probably install the card in my main rig to watch TV in the office. Oh well. :(

Okay, I should have really known this to start with, but this was a waste for me. I understand the technical limitations now, but myth or any tv card cant beat the dual hd tuner STB I get from Verizon for $6 a month.

I guess on the plus side, I can probably install the card in my main rig to watch TV in the office. Oh well. :(

mail it to me. I'll use it.

if you have regular ol analog cable coming straight from the wall, a bank of tv tuner cards are great for a HTPC.

Ive given up on the whole deal of not using the time warner DVR. Im currently in the process of tweaking my HTPC box into a movie and game machine. Just gotta sort out that damn LAN issue, get the sound working and im all set. And once i get a wireless controller, i'll be playing NeoGeo, MAME, SNES and NES in style. :D

if you have regular ol analog cable coming straight from the wall, a bank of tv tuner cards are great for a HTPC.

Ive given up on the whole deal of not using the time warner DVR. Im currently in the process of tweaking my HTPC box into a movie and game machine. Just gotta sort out that damn LAN issue, get the sound working and im all set. And once i get a wireless controller, i'll be playing NeoGeo, MAME, SNES and NES in style. :D
Yeah, well analog FIOS sucks, its only channels 2-30. =/