Does anyone here run MythTV?

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,363
Steam
mattressfish
After reading an article on LifeHacker today, I think I want to check out MythTV. Has anyone here actually run it and/or have suggestions for good Myth info?

I think that after I've gotten a little more proficient with Linux I'm going to try running Myth on my media box/projector.

if your my card is software decoding based don't even try it - you won't be able to sync the audio with video

with an hd card you have a shot.

it's supposed to be simple with ubuntu

seems like too much effort when you can use an existing windows equivalent that takes little configuration in comparison

from what i hear, sage is the dank. If i ever get some cash saved up, i'll be running that once HD tv tuners are more cost effective. Untill then, the DVR the cable company gave me works just fine.

I know my fiance tried to get it set up, but the hardware we have to use doens't work too well with Linux, so MythTV won't work all that well.

:shrug:

from what i hear, sage is the dank. If i ever get some cash saved up, i'll be running that once HD tv tuners are more cost effective. Untill then, the DVR the cable company gave me works just fine.

You can get HD tuners for less than $75 now. Like the Avermedia A180.

There's also the HDHomeRun which is a dual tuner ATSC/QAM network device for $170. I have one and it kicks ass.

seems like too much effort when you can use an existing windows equivalent that takes little configuration in comparison

http://lifehacker.com/software/dvr/...-and-media-center-with-mediaportal-244343.php

From my point of view, the biggest difference between MP and Myth's interfaces comes down to traditional versus eye candy. Both have plenty of themes that look very attractive, but in my opinion Myth's interface "feels" more like a STB, while MediaPortal comes off like I'm using a Windows application with a remote. Most of my friends and visitors are unaware that Myth even is a computer, while MediaPortal never got that reaction.

Specifically, though, I prefer a simple interface with a contextual menu (like Myth) over one that provides every option I want immediately on the screen. It might seem like a small detail, but when comparing my day-to-day experience running and using both packages, Myth was the only one that didn't feel like I was using a computer to watch TV.

That's why im interested in Myth...

You can get HD tuners for less than $75 now. Like the Avermedia A180.

There's also the HDHomeRun which is a dual tuner ATSC/QAM network device for $170. I have one and it kicks ass.

... affordable. I cant blow $75 or $170 on something like that (im going to want at least 2 tuners) :(