Ontopic Cutting the Cheese

I've been meaning to put up an OTA antenna on my roof. I kind of miss local channels & news. I stream it on my phone now, but would be nice to have larger screen. Need to buy an OTA antenna. Outside of missing local channels, I'm happy with Netflix and Amazon Prime subscription. I throw in occasional Showtime or HBO for new series releases then cancel when I am done.
I have the OTA thing mostly out of a desire for completeness, I guess. The PVR runs mythtv and pulls listings from schedules direct. I think the only time I really use it is for background noise (NFL), and 60 minutes (when the folks come over on Sunday, sometimes).

I don't really miss local weather or news, even if we're not a Sinclair Media town.

I've been meaning to put up an OTA antenna on my roof. I kind of miss local channels & news. I stream it on my phone now, but would be nice to have larger screen. Need to buy an OTA antenna. Outside of missing local channels, I'm happy with Netflix and Amazon Prime subscription. I throw in occasional Showtime or HBO for new series releases then cancel when I am done.
Use airplay.

Use airplay.
I don't use Apple products. Also the local news website is only that, just local news, not the national news feed or any other shows on the major networks. Hence why I want to get an OTA antenna. Nice thing is the previous owners had Dish, so all I need to do is remove the dish from the mount on the roof, reuse the mount and existing coax cable. Don't need to drill any holes or run any cables. Checking antenna websites, I should be able to get most of the major TV channels OTA. One great thing about living on a hill.

I don't use Apple products. Also the local news website is only that, just local news, not the national news feed or any other shows on the major networks. Hence why I want to get an OTA antenna. Nice thing is the previous owners had Dish, so all I need to do is remove the dish, reuse the mount and existing coax cable. Don't need to drill any holes or run any cables.
Is there not an airplay type thing for Android products? Just wondering, if you want the other stuff you may as well go OTA.

A friend gave me his Disney plus info but I don't have a device to play it on my tv. I have a ps3 and an older apple tv. But I think I can airplay it from my iPad.

I don't use Apple products. Also the local news website is only that, just local news, not the national news feed or any other shows on the major networks. Hence why I want to get an OTA antenna. Nice thing is the previous owners had Dish, so all I need to do is remove the dish from the mount on the roof, reuse the mount and existing coax cable. Don't need to drill any holes or run any cables. Checking antenna websites, I should be able to get most of the major TV channels OTA. One great thing about living on a hill.
I did that for first 2 years here. I had checked with Comcast - yes, we will run cable to your new home for free. Mrs. Dig is out there a week later marking the line and one of the neighbors walks out to her with a shotgun on his arm. Tells her to leave. And thus began 2+ years without cable anything.:waw: Asshole cost me a ton of business - I was probably making half of each month's nut building websites at the time. Out of desperation I was loading client's website to physical media, then driving 30 miles to my brother's office to use his broadband in the middle of the night. FFS!
I'm on a plateau but yeah, basically highest piece of land for 30+ miles in all directions. *I put the OTA antenna in the attic.

• Haha
  • Gravy
Reactions: nukes and Josh
I did that for first 2 years here. I had checked with Comcast - yes, we will run cable to your new home for free. Mrs. Dig is out there a week later marking the line and one of the neighbors walks out to her with a shotgun on his arm. Tells her to leave. And thus began 2+ years without cable anything.:waw: Asshole cost me a ton of business - I was probably making half of each month's nut building websites at the time. Out of desperation I was loading client's website to physical media, then driving 30 miles to my brother's office to use his broadband in the middle of the night. FFS!
I'm on a plateau but yeah, basically highest piece of land for 30+ miles in all directions. *I put the OTA antenna in the attic.
I'm thankful I don't have crazy neighbors like that. Just one neighbor: a guy around my age and his girlfriend live next to me. Another neighbor but they're down the hill a few hundred yards through the woods. Rest are miles away.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I'm thankful I don't have crazy neighbors like that. Just one neighbor: a guy around my age and his girlfriend live next to me. Another neighbor but they're down the hill a few hundred yards through the woods. Rest are miles away.
I'll give you crazy!!!
Bitch where our street(in existence for at least 30 years) comes off larger road decided our street didn't exist. Her and her husband put boulders in the roadway, like 1-2' across!! Then we come home one night and there is a row of 1/2" re-rod that was cut 2' long and hammered into the roadbed about 1'. Totally insane fuckers. One time they put steel fence posts out there and I called the cops to come and I waited there with a fence jack. I told the cop I didn't want to be tazed - he promised I wouldn't. Told the cop I didn't want to fight the neighbor who was standing there cussing a steady stream. Cop said he'd tase the first person to make a move on the other. Pulled all 10-12 of the fence posts while they both watched. Later we did a lawsuit over this road issue. Judge smacked them with the dummy rod and expenses to our homeowner's insurance.
It was an infamous day when I took the diesel tractor, drove down there at sunrise with the box blade and ripped the roadway open about 3' on their side. Sod flying everywhere. Court Fuck'm Ordered.:fly:

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I'll give you crazy!!!
Bitch where our street(in existence for at least 30 years) comes off larger road decided our street didn't exist. Her and her husband put boulders in the roadway, like 1-2' across!! Then we come home one night and there is a row of 1/2" re-rod that was cut 2' long and hammered into the roadbed about 1'. Totally insane fuckers. One time they put steel fence posts out there and I called the cops to come and I waited there with a fence jack. I told the cop I didn't want to be tazed - he promised I wouldn't. Told the cop I didn't want to fight the neighbor who was standing there cussing a steady stream. Cop said he'd tase the first person to make a move on the other. Pulled all 10-12 of the fence posts while they both watched. Later we did a lawsuit over this road issue. Judge smacked them with the dummy rod and expenses to our homeowner's insurance.
It was an infamous day when I took the diesel tractor, drove down there at sunrise with the box blade and ripped the roadway open about 3' on their side. Sod flying everywhere. Court Fuck'm Ordered.:fly:
Yeah basically the same thing happened to my mom and I when we moved to Maine for my high school years. It was a circular driveway shared between us and the neighbors. They were crazy, thinking I almost ran over their kids one day when I was coming home from school or leaving. Kids mind you who were unsupervised trespassing on railroad property playing on the tracks. The neighbors bought some of those stupidly huge (and probably expensive) concrete jersey barriers to close off half of the circular driveway. We tried to take it to a lawsuit that we had legal access to the entire circle, but my mom's deed didn't explicitly list the entire circular driveway, only one part of the circle (which ironically was half on railroad property anyway). Long story short, she sold the house and moved. Fuck 'em. Old guy died this year I hear and his kids put the lake front properties up for sale. Guess they can't afford the taxes.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
Yeah basically the same thing happened to my mom and I when we moved to Maine for my high school years. It was a circular driveway shared between us and the neighbors. They were crazy, thinking I almost ran over their kids one day when I was coming home from school or leaving. Kids mind you who were unsupervised trespassing on railroad property playing on the tracks. The neighbors bought some of those stupidly huge (and probably expensive) concrete jersey barriers to close off half of the circular driveway. We tried to take it to a lawsuit that we had legal access to the entire circle, but my mom's deed didn't explicitly list the entire circular driveway, only one part of the circle (which ironically was half on railroad property anyway). Long story short, she sold the house and moved. Fuck 'em. Old guy died this year I hear and his kids put the lake front properties up for sale. Guess they can't afford the taxes.
And they wonder how people end up killing their neighbors.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh