Ontopic Cutting the Cheese

Valve1138

I like the AB in the GB
Oct 19, 2004
South Harmon Institute of Technology
Marklar
₥70,422
So, who's cut the cord here?

We've got DirecTV with the Genie, etc, etc. Works well, I'm just sick of paying for it. The only thing holding me back from dumping it was being able to watch the Pat's down here in SkinRaven land. But that has been addressed thanks to Dear Leader @fly. And the contract is up in July as far as I know.

Tentative plan:

Keep using Plex, which also makes use of a couple old HDHomeRun Duals, pumped through NextPVR for OTA stuff viewing.

That antenna also goes to every TV in the house, and gets all the locals.

Use our existing Fire TV's and Apple TV's.

Thoughts, discuss, etc.

[GIPHY="cutting the cord."]https://media3.giphy.com/media/8TQob5qtsYGpa/giphy.gif[/GIPHY]

Oh and I've been without regular television since I moved out of my parents house almost five years ago. I've never bought it and never will. We've always used Netflix. And I don't pay for that either.

• Gravy
Reactions: pacojas
I think my only legit concern is when the father-in-law and his Cockatoo fiance woman person come, and don't stop the stream of whatever they're watching. I had to put a pice of black tape of the record button on the DTV remote because it has a little R on it. He kept thinking it was the "red" button, despite being prompted by recording options when pressed.

There'd be hours of the weather channel clogging up the DVR.

True story.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
I'm on this sometime this year once Dish contract gets washed.
I have two Roku boxes, I'm interested in what type of programming Sling offers.
I'm also an Amazon Prime member.

Gonna be hard to talk to my Heterosexual Life Partner afterwards because he'll get first run stuff off cable.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
I think my only legit concern is when the father-in-law and his Cockatoo fiance woman person come, and don't stop the stream of whatever they're watching. I had to put a pice of black tape of the record button on the DTV remote because it has a little R on it. He kept thinking it was the "red" button, despite being prompted by recording options when pressed.

There'd be hours of the weather channel clogging up the DVR.

True story.
God forbid you actually have to interact with your in-laws.

Your plan sounds pretty good, but a little on the overkill side.

We have the OTA PVR stuff covered by mythTV and Kodi, but the sling stuff is just fluff, IMO. I'm not even sure what sling does. TBH, the only thing I ever really use OTA for anymore is 60 minutes, when my parents come down for dinner on some Sundays.

98% of our viewing wants are met by Amazon and Netflix.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots and OOD