Food Christmas dinner

@fly - gonna sous vide the ham and then finish in the oven for the glaze. Orange bourbon sauce.
We hide our alcoholism so well. :fly:

For dessert we'll have Chocolate Stout Floats!!! 16oz of the chocolate stout of your choice with a teaspoon of delicious, homemade, real vanilla icecream floating on top. Guise, we used REAL VANILLA BEAN. I have enough for seconds for everyone.

Dude, I think we get that you're a curmudgeon who thinks, "If it was good enough for my daddy, its good enough for me." That doesn't mean that others have to eat dry turkey though...

I just don't understand how all these people end up with dry turkey. It's just not that difficult and it doesn't require modern tech.

If you want a really foolproof method do it breast down laying in goose fat. Can turn that over and brown it pretty at the end and it still ain't drying out. Christmas dinner's supposed to be goose anyway, turkey is for Thanksgiving.

We hide our alcoholism so well. :fly:

For dessert we'll have Chocolate Stout Floats!!! 16oz of the chocolate stout of your choice with a teaspoon of delicious, homemade, real vanilla icecream floating on top. Guise, we used REAL VANILLA BEAN. I have enough for seconds for everyone.
I've found it is best if I get ALL the bourbon into the pot with the other stuff right away. Otherwise the cook will be sloshed before the meal is ready. This will be my 3rd year where I am not drinking any booze until after the meal.

I just don't understand how all these people end up with dry turkey. It's just not that difficult and it doesn't require modern tech.

If you want a really foolproof method do it breast down laying in goose fat. Can turn that over and brown it pretty at the end and it still ain't drying out. Christmas dinner's supposed to be goose anyway, turkey is for Thanksgiving.
Or maybe you've just never had a good turkey...

My grandmother has cooked quite a few as well. She's 94 and the turkeys were as dry as her. So your statistic doesn't really mean anything...
True, but it is statistically significant that I'm not your grandma.;):p I'm much younger and do employ much of the latest technology. I am very big on thermometers and other stuff that help control the cooking environment. Unlike the truly ancient.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and HipHugHer
True, but it is statistically significant that I'm not your grandma.;):p I'm much younger and do employ much of the latest technology. I am very big on thermometers and other stuff that help control the cooking environment. Unlike the truly ancient.
Most of these pre curmudgeons are only a decade from our age range. Some of them are only five years from our age range.

I'm convinced (by researching, admittedly still kind of a novice) that dry turkey comes from inconsistent temperature (usually because of too much basting) and not giving a good resting period before carving.

My parents were terrible cooks (when they felt like feeding me), so all of the turkey I ever had was basically like someone else said "cardboard". I did last year's turkey very simply, and am pleased to say it came out very well juice-wise, this year I'm trying to add a little more flavor and flare to it.