Food Christmas dinner

hydra

Rey’s father
Jan 8, 2014
I get around
Marklar
₥4,013
Thinking of doing a turkey this year.

Lemon and garlic butter rubbed on the breasts (then I will rub it on the turkey, lololilololkllkllll1) under the skin and over the whole turkey.

Onions and lemon inside (stuffing inside a turkey is madness)

Olive oil over the skin to crisp, cover breasts with bacon

Low/slow roast 2-4 hours (haven't got the bird yet so don't know weight)

Rest ~2 hours to keep juices (essential)

Make gravy (juices, onions, bacon, lemon from inside turkey, spices in a hot pan. Slice off the wings and throw them in, cram everything together with a masher, add some flower and cream, mix it up til it's good color and thickness)

Carve the bird like Dexter (actually just got a new knife, Misono UX, that I'm excited to use)

Present and serve with hot gravy

Thoughts?

what are you doing?

ps - send nudes

Last edited:
For Turkey Day we followed the Good Eats Thanksgiving special for the bird's instructions. Fairly similar to what you have up there. Even if you know what you are doing, I'd recommend watching the section on bird prep and cooking as it has a lot of good info.

One thing I will say, fuck cooking by time, cook by temp.

Was the best bird we've had in a couple years.

For Turkey Day we followed the Good Eats Thanksgiving special for the bird's instructions. Fairly similar to what you have up there. Even if you know what you are doing, I'd recommend watching the section on bird prep and cooking as it has a lot of good info.

One thing I will say, fuck cooking by time, cook by temp.

Was the best bird we've had in a couple years.
Oh ya, never cook by time... always by temp. We grew up eating dry turkey for this reason. Ew.

how I turkey:

- don't buy a butterball or some other brine-and-margarine-injected piece of shit, buy a plain 'ol utility turkey.
- Stuff both ends with dressing (bread crumbs, salt, pepper, summer savory and lots of butter)
- Smear with butter/salt/pepper/savory.
- Dump in roasting pan, a couple cups of water in the bottom for steam and temperature control, cook for a long ass time at 300F.
- When turkey hits near doneness, transfer to open roasting pan, crank heat to 350F convection, and baste with butter and juices 'till done.

I don't brine. Tried once, it was OK, but tasted the brine more than the turkey.
I don't deep fry. The crispy skin doesn't make up for having to buy a fuckton of oil and use.
I smoked a turkey once, it was OK.

• Gravy
Reactions: hydra
how I turkey:

- don't buy a butterball or some other brine-and-margarine-injected piece of shit, buy a plain 'ol utility turkey.
- Stuff both ends with dressing (bread crumbs, salt, pepper, summer savory and lots of butter)
- Smear with butter/salt/pepper/savory.
- Dump in roasting pan, a couple cups of water in the bottom for steam and temperature control, cook for a long ass time at 300F.
- When turkey hits near doneness, transfer to open roasting pan, crank heat to 350F convection, and baste with butter and juices 'till done.

I don't brine. Tried once, it was OK, but tasted the brine more than the turkey.
I don't deep fry. The crispy skin doesn't make up for having to buy a fuckton of oil and use.
I smoked a turkey once, it was OK.
Do you eat the dressing that is in the turkey?

Yup.

Brine, cook by temp, and do the aluminum foil knights armor from that episode and you'll be good.
We stopped using the oven and have fallen in love with infrared. The shorter cook time seems to keep the meat even more moist. Plus, opens up the oven for other yummies.