Food Christmas dinner

I've cooked the turkey the same way for years, based on something I saw on cooking show decades ago.
Wash, pat dry, oil outside with butter or oil of choice.
450f for first 20-30 minutes to golden brown the skin and seal the meat.
Cup of water around it, wrap/cover as tight as possible.
Never dry, always tender and moist.
No stuffing in the bird until 1 hour before anticipated finish.:iono:

Dressing that's gone through a turkey is so much better than straight baked stuff.

If you're afraid of catching something bad from it, bake it in a covered dish while the turkey rests.
I've had both & can't taste the compared 'awesomeness' of bird stuffing. There are a lot of recipes that rock that you make separately.

Chx stock/turkey stock in an 'out of the turkey' stuffing recipe is close enough for me, & super convenient.

When everything is cooked through to safe temp how could the stuffing not be OK?
Many people stuff the bird before it goes in the oven so the stuffing either never cooks to temp or the bird is overcooked. Someone mentioned stuffing the bird an hour before it's slated to be done, but that's cooking to time which is not perfect.

Thinking of doing a turkey this year.

Lemon and garlic butter rubbed on the breasts (then I will rub it on the turkey, lololilololkllkllll1) under the skin and over the whole turkey.

Onions and lemon inside (stuffing inside a turkey is madness)

Olive oil over the skin to crisp, cover breasts with bacon

Low/slow roast 2-4 hours (haven't got the bird yet so don't know weight)

Rest ~2 hours to keep juices (essential)

Make gravy (juices, onions, bacon, lemon from inside turkey, spices in a hot pan. Slice off the wings and throw them in, cram everything together with a masher, add some flower and cream, mix it up til it's good color and thickness)

Carve the bird like Dexter (actually just got a new knife, Misono UX, that I'm excited to use)

Present and serve with hot gravy

Thoughts?

what are you doing?

ps - send nudes
You don't really need a two hour rest. 30-60 minutes is more than enough. I would also brine it for 12 hours (@gee's a dummy), then let the skin dry out in the fridge for 12-24 hours. If you do that, separate the skin from the bird before you let the skin dry out, otherwise it will be a PITA.

Many people stuff the bird before it goes in the oven so the stuffing either never cooks to temp or the bird is overcooked. Someone mentioned stuffing the bird an hour before it's slated to be done, but that's cooking to time which is not perfect.
Not really - it's a combination of time AND temperature. I have a very firm grasp on when that is - I'd estimate I've cooked in excess of 100 turkeys to date.:jvag:

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer