Food Canning

So, I just received my Victorio strainer & motor,

VKP250%20Motor%202.jpg

& the accessory kit.

LhEiVdl.jpg

over the weekend I'm going to try to can tomatos, and then apples.

I tried to make apple jelly w/apple juice a couple nights ago, but apparently went WAY past the 'gelling' point. I poured the dark 'jelly' into a jar for canning & it cooled to thicker than molasses. Gonna have to redo that effort.

Does anyone here can?

Very cool!

A can is storage container -> glass cans

It's the same reason it's used to describe metal containers.

It's just odd to UK ears is all. A can is made of metal over here. A jar is made of glass yet you use the same term for sealing in any airtight container. We don't. It's just as simple as that and I was curious as to why the same term was used for glass jars as metal cans. I've never heard anyone say 'a glass can' before.

It's just odd to UK ears is all. A can is made of metal over here. A jar is made of glass yet you use the same term for sealing in any airtight container. We don't. It's just as simple as that and I was curious as to why the same term was used for glass jars as metal cans. I've never heard anyone say 'a glass can' before.
It's older usage. Trash containers = cans, Watering can, Milk can etc. Can as a term has been around longer than metal canned food.

From my understanding the process was originally done in cans before jars and sealing where available. The term just never changed when they stopped using cans in the home.

does anyone know if I can open these 6 jars & process them more on the stove & re-can?

I can't find a quick answer on the interwebs.
You can but have to redo the whole processing otherwise you might get mold in them.

You can but have to redo the whole processing otherwise you might get mold in them.
How so? Sterilize the lids again and put the jars back into the boiling bath to process. It's all so hot it's unlikely it will get mold.