Food Canning

Canning peppers right now :happy:

My grandma has the recipe below for red bell peppers. it goes straight on italian bread as "pepper sandwiches." we wrap them in wax paper, make them by the sackful and take them on the road.

When I was little, when we'd drive on vaca, I totally remember the OMG! when my mom or dad would say, 'OK, who wants one of gramma's pepper sandwiches?'

pft, like we could even just have one. . . they are so good.

eLbxTNn.jpg

Ya, I have a slick All Clad brew pot so I don't need the cheapy one. :fly:
Nice. I've got one with a thermometer and ball valve in the side. Makes it ridiculously easy to fill your carboy. No funnel required!

They sell the valves and stuff as kits, you just cut a hole and screw it in there.

Last edited:
(SSSHHHHHHH Black Iron Kettles make the best soup pots. Damn they are expensive.)

while i can appreciate classic cast iron, i love my enameled dutch oven to death. Its completely maintenance free, maintains the same braising and searing potential as raw iron, and is literally a rinse to clean. I cant get anything to stick to the enamel.

I've never been able to deglaze better than when i use that pan either.

160 seems.. cheap for a le creuset
Right? We have a few Le Creuset items and they've all been gifts. Soooo expensive, but sooo nice to have. It's one of those cooking vessels that can go from the oven to the table and still look beautiful.

while i can appreciate classic cast iron, i love my enameled dutch oven to death. Its completely maintenance free, maintains the same braising and searing potential as raw iron, and is literally a rinse to clean. I cant get anything to stick to the enamel.

I've never been able to deglaze better than when i use that pan either.
Hmm... we use cast iron for daily use. Cast iron is so gosh darn cheap and almost impossible to ruin.