BIG controversy over Obama's speech to kids

no. in the US, the school system isn't a venue for "freedom of speech." it's an educational environment with a curriculum that is predetermined. At least in the school systems I'm familiar with.
Curriculum is set at state level mostly, but you arent wrong.

(just so it doesnt get lost on last page)

I think the public education system does a much better job of preaching dissenting viewpoints then the private education system does.
:lol: k-12 education reflects the views of the local populace (local school board hires and sets policy), and is almost universally pro-union (public school teachers are one of the larger unions).

Private schools vary from Amish -> super competitive prep schools. You get what you pay for, and least they dont lie about it.

So again, just as snoogit was pointing out with the 'ask permissions' thing, you seem ok with it as long as the person has your same point of view. No one is allowed to be upset by (or as you say "harass" you for) your point of view? Isn't that ALSO what freedom of speech protects?

edit: I miss FlyNavy in these threads.

Look, I had a friend in an art college that had to endure tirade after tirade against everything she believed and if she opposed it she didn't get a good grade, this was a public college. I myself had a similar situation in one of my college classes. So I know there is a huge problem of double standard. There is a big difference between disagreeing with someone and harassing them for it. Don't try to tell me it doesn't happen. Look at some of the threads that happen on UF. We can turn each other off if we don't like name calling, you can't do that at school and I'm sure I don't have to tell you how kids can be to each other in any grade level.

Also, I think the discussion takes in elementary school ages here. You need to be aware of what your kids are being taught and have the freedom to agree or disagree and be able to teach your kids what you want and when you want them to know it. If you are a democrat and want them taught that way that's your right, on the other hand so should a republican or liberal have the same discretion. Once again, it is not a permission thing, it is awareness. You don't leave all your child's educational needs in the hands of the system.

I've studied in both private and public education systems personally, I've also known many students who've come to public schools completely unprepared for them academically.

I've been to public school, private catholic school (Jesuit), non-denominational prep school, homeschooled, and left alone to do whatever I pleased as long as I could pass standardized tests.

Dont have a high opinion of your average live-in-the-same-town-I-was-born-in-and-been-in-school-with-the-same-kids-I-went-to-kindergarten-with-public-school-kid.

Catholic school was probably the most violent. Home school obviously depends, I remember some super weird homeschooled kids that used to come in for tests when I did.

I've been to public school, private catholic school (Jesuit), non-denominational prep school, homeschooled, and left alone to do whatever I pleased as long as I could pass standardized tests.

Dont have a high opinion of your average live-in-the-same-town-I-was-born-in-and-been-in-school-with-the-same-kids-I-went-to-kindergarten-with-public-school-kid.

Catholic school was probably the most violent. Home school obviously depends, I remember some super weird homeschooled kids that used to come in for tests when I did.

they allowed corporal punishment in your catholic school? that's pretty much unheard of these days...maybe back in the 50's but now?

they allowed corporal punishment in your catholic school? that's pretty much unheard of these days...maybe back in the 50's but now?

No, between the students. The teachers rarely stopped fights that didnt interfere with class.

Edit: Mostly had to do with the homework system. If someone didnt turn in an assignment, the whole class would sit out recess/stay afterschool. One period for each assignment. There was considerable peer pressure to not fuck up.

Last edited:
I went to a catholic boarding school for all of HS and it couldn't have been further from that as well

I think her main point was that it's up to the parents, not the school to decide.

This was supposed to be after amstel.

If you are a democrat and want them taught that way that's your right

Forgive my ignorance on what I'm about to ask, but is this right you speak of documented in the constitution?

in the pursuit of happiness, you have the right to WANT anything. You don't have a right to get it.

That's ridiculous. As if anyone could stop you from wanting anything.

you're forgiven.