WTF Bad boys, Bad boys, whatcha gonna do

Turns out 3x as many lawncare folk died on the job as police, in 2019.

The Thin Green Line: risking their lives for our stupid, wasteful obsession with invasive species.

Had my first interaction with cops in over 2 years yesterday.
Neighbors daughter called and said one of our dogs got out and was running around the street. Ran home and went looking for her. Flagged the cops down, described her and asked if they'd seen her. They hadn't but said they'd keep an eye out and wished me luck. Seemed like a couple nice fellas.

Turns out she was in the yard the whole time. Maybe the kid had mistaken a different dog for her or something but nice to know my neighbors and my local civic employees are keeping an eye out for us.

• Gravy
Reactions: NukesII
I do dangerous shit all the time and I'm still here. Hold and/or held at least 2, maybe 3, occupations considered more dangerous than being a cop too. Couple of them before things like safety guards and osha and stuff became commonplace.

The most effective piece of safety equipment is that thing between your ears. All the other gear is just an effort to defeat darwin and keep people around who would've been naturally weeded out.

• Gravy
I do dangerous shit all the time and I'm still here. Hold and/or held at least 2, maybe 3, occupations considered more dangerous than being a cop too. Couple of them before things like safety guards and osha and stuff became commonplace.

The most effective piece of safety equipment is that thing between your ears. All the other gear is just an effort to defeat darwin and keep people around who would've been naturally weeded out.
And gloves, Im always surprised when people are like "You're a girl for wearing gloves" and I'm like maybe, but I've got all my flippys.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
And gloves, Im always surprised when people are like "You're a girl for wearing gloves" and I'm like maybe, but I've got all my flippys.
Ya, I really don't like wearing gloves if I can avoid it. Something about being able to feel what I'm working on, but do when necessary and don't call people girls for wearing them for things I don't.

in my past life, I wore a different kind of safety gloves than the ones y'all are talking about and for slightly different reasons, but I can similarly understand both the desire for unimpeded dexterity/feeling and the feeling of cringe watching someone risk their shit for it.

we had one phlebotomist at my old job in MD that kept intentionally ripping a finger off her gloves and I did not feel even a little bad reporting her for it (especially because I tried talking to her about it first and she was a big ol' biiiiiiiiiiiiiitch about it). I will say though that I think it was easier for me to function with the gloves because it was A Standard by the time I was getting started so I learned it that way and always did it that way, but it was harder on the old timers to adjust to bc good palpation is definitely impeded.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
in my past life, I wore a different kind of safety gloves than the ones y'all are talking about and for slightly different reasons, but I can similarly understand both the desire for unimpeded dexterity/feeling and the feeling of cringe watching someone risk their shit for it.

we had one phlebotomist at my old job in MD that kept intentionally ripping a finger off her gloves and I did not feel even a little bad reporting her for it (especially because I tried talking to her about it first and she was a big ol' biiiiiiiiiiiiiitch about it). I will say though that I think it was easier for me to function with the gloves because it was A Standard by the time I was getting started so I learned it that way and always did it that way, but it was harder on the old timers to adjust to bc good palpation is definitely impeded.
Every phlebotomist I've met feels like they are drilling for oil so...

Ill refuse treatment if someone isnt wearing exam gloves though. I had insane staph infection once already.

Every phlebotomist I've met feels like they are drilling for oil so...

Ill refuse treatment if someone isnt wearing exam gloves though. I had insane staph infection once already.
there are some things you can do that can sometimes help your veins suck less (drink lots of water, avoid things that dehydrate you or make you pee more like coffee/tea, be warm, move around a little before you do it to get your blood pumping)* but at the end of the day, some phlebotomists suck and some people just have shitty veins. I was really good at it and I definitely still had folks I'd struggle with, but if it's happened to you every time, I'd guess you've probably got shitty veins on top of whatever skill your stabbers have or haven't got :fly: sorry, buddy.

and you're totally right to refuse that; while the gloves aren't sterile and are *mostly* about protecting the wearer, they're very likely to be significantly cleaner than their hands (which should be washed every time but they're not, like, Scrubbed In™)

* side note, one thing you DON'T want to do in this situation is have the tourniquet on for a long time and/or pump or squeeze your fist excessively. while this can increase the pressure and therefore make the veins more tumescent, it can lead to falsely elevated test results. the way this works is kind of like if you think about stuffing a bunch of wet clumpy mud into a stocking - if you squeeze it, the liquid can ooze out between the stocking mesh but the dirt particles cannot escape as easily, so a sample from a squozed as fuck stocking will yield much higher dirt content in relation to the whole than an unsquoze one.

• Gravy
there are some things you can do that can sometimes help your veins suck less (drink lots of water, avoid things that dehydrate you or make you pee more like coffee/tea, be warm, move around a little before you do it to get your blood pumping)* but at the end of the day, some phlebotomists suck and some people just have shitty veins. I was really good at it and I definitely still had folks I'd struggle with, but if it's happened to you every time, I'd guess you've probably got shitty veins on top of whatever skill your stabbers have or haven't got :fly: sorry, buddy.

and you're totally right to refuse that; while the gloves aren't sterile and are *mostly* about protecting the wearer, they're very likely to be significantly cleaner than their hands (which should be washed every time but they're not, like, Scrubbed In™)

* side note, one thing you DON'T want to do in this situation is have the tourniquet on for a long time and/or pump or squeeze your fist excessively. while this can increase the pressure and therefore make the veins more tumescent, it can lead to falsely elevated test results. the way this works is kind of like if you think about stuffing a bunch of wet clumpy mud into a stocking - if you squeeze it, the liquid can ooze out between the stocking mesh but the dirt particles cannot escape as easily, so a sample from a squozed as fuck stocking will yield much higher dirt content in relation to the whole than an unsquoze one.
It's not everytime.

It's mostly when you have to get drug tested at private labs and stuff. Techs and nurses never have a problem.