WTF Bad boys, Bad boys, whatcha gonna do

I imagine most posts to be a single line of text, maybe two if somebody really has something to say, with August rounding out the top end at a whopping five or maybe even six.

Outside of that there's probably a whole lot of empty screen or useless nonsense.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and wetwillie
Fly's done a decent job with the website. If you've seen it on mobile you've seen it on a PC for the most part, and that's kind of hard to do

You posted this just before I posted what's just below this so ignore that and good job fly.

I don't know what it takes to do that but I've seen enough (other sites) to know it takes a lot of talent and a lot of work.

So thank you @fly

This place works flawlessly on a phone (well except for that stupid link to post preview unfurling thing but I feel like that's really making mountains of molehills now). Compared to some shit out there that's really saying something.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
I imagine most posts to be a single line of text, maybe two if somebody really has something to say, with August rounding out the top end at a whopping five or maybe even six.

Outside of that there's probably a whole lot of empty screen or useless nonsense.
I was just about to reply with this to your other post. Asa is right that it looks the same. But the way the text lines up on mobile just looks better. Less blank space. I mean, you can make the font bigger in a browser but it's not the same. Probably because of the aspect ratio idk.

Edit: I also use work safe. I can't stand all the neon colors and stuff.

When I “retired”, text messaging wasn’t a thing like it is now and if it was, I never would’ve had the time or the conscience (or lack of) to spend any part of my day reading and texting.

When I moved here, I suddenly had 36 delivery guys and trucks to keep on track and they knew better than to lolligag about with a cup of coffee, let alone foruming.

It’s a different (and lazy laid back) world.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
When I “retired”, text messaging wasn’t a thing like it is now and if it was, I never would’ve had the time or the conscience (or lack of) to spend any part of my day reading and texting.

When I moved here, I suddenly had 36 delivery guys and trucks to keep on track and they knew better than to lolligag about with a cup of coffee, let alone foruming.

Automation and connectivity frees up a lot of time that used to be spent physically doing stuff. Productivity has gone up even as people are more distracted.

• Gravy
Reactions: august

I mostly post while I'm waiting for medical records to load/refresh or waiting for someone else to finish what they're doing for something collaborative

Automation and connectivity frees up a lot of time that used to be spent physically doing stuff. Productivity has gone up even as people are more distracted.

All true, but if a truck loader is foruming and not throwing boxes, they get shown the door.

PS

I have no issue with people doing it anymore (especially during a waiting period like August described) or while pooping, but the amount of activity on some’s part makes me wonder if their job would be part time if boss knew how much dicking around there was.

All true, but if a truck loader is foruming and not throwing boxes, they get shown the door.
Granted, there are some jobs where it's still improbable that people would be as connected as we are, but even in trucking there's more time in the day from people not having to walk across the loading floor to pick up their manifests and other 30 second time sucks.
Unfortunately for them that just means they have more time to deliver instead of relaxing.

you're assuming it happens when they should out could be otherwise occupied with a work thing
there's tons of little times throughout the day where I'm stuck waiting on something else to complete

but also

if you look at the rates over time, productivity rates have significantly increased as @Mr. Asa pointed out, while wages have remained stagnant and effectively decreased when things like inflation & COL (and productivity!) are factored in. they're already getting a shit ton more work out of us with no benefit to us

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Granted, there are some jobs where it's still improbable that people would be as connected as we are, but even in trucking there's more time in the day from people not having to walk across the loading floor to pick up their manifests and other 30 second time sucks.
Unfortunately for them that just means they have more time to deliver instead of relaxing.

Another example.

My son works and is training as a meat cutter in the meat department at a Whole Foods-type store. If I text him, he doesn’t, or can’t, or won’t, reply until he’s on a break.

That’s the Midwest work ethic I’ve instilled in him, and I’m damn proud of that.

if you look at the rates over time, productivity rates have significantly increased as @Mr. Asa pointed out, while wages have remained stagnant and effectively decreased when things like inflation & COL are factored in. they're already getting a shit ton more work out of us with no benefit to us

LOL

I agree with 99.9% of that, but every time I mention anything like that, I’m shot down with “the economy is so great and the median income has gone up” etc etc

I know nothing about most of the peoples’ white collar jobs here, but I’d think if you’re not typing, and your phone is in your hand, it ain’t “work”.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
LOL

I agree with 99.9% of that, but every time I mention anything like that, I’m shot down with “the economy is so great and the median income has gone up” etc etc

I know nothing about most of the peoples’ white collar jobs here, but I’d think if you’re not typing, and your phone is in your hand, it ain’t “work”.
90% of the meetings I'm invited to I dont have to go to. Majority of the ones I go to are to keep track of what program is doing what, but most of the time my knowledge isnt needed.

Its shit like that where most of my time gets sucked away.

Hell, I spent three hours doing annual training the other day where I didn't need to follow along because I still remember it from last time (and it's mostly common sense) but I couldn't do anything else cause I needed to click a button every minute or so.
Huge amounts of inefficiency.

LOL

The job I just applied for will involve driving around catering to potential clients. If I get it I imagine I will be relying on my phone to get information and contact people for work.

The job I just applied for will involve driving around catering to potential clients. If I get it I imagine I will be relying on my phone to get information and contact people for work.

Hopefully you aren’t being hired to replace someone who left for greener pastures and happened to be productive. Guys like that set the bar.

Like I said, I don’t know the white collar world. Where I come from, the blue collar knew the white collars were all fuck offs.

90% of the meetings I'm invited to I dont have to go to. Majority of the ones I go to are to keep track of what program is doing what, but most of the time my knowledge isnt needed.

Its shit like that where most of my time gets sucked away.

Hell, I spent three hours doing annual training the other day where I didn't need to follow along because I still remember it from last time (and it's mostly common sense) but I couldn't do anything else cause I needed to click a button every minute or so.
Huge amounts of inefficiency.
I'm constantly brought in on shit that doesn't concern me and/or there's a meeting that could have been a simple email exchange instead of taking up a block of my day.

a big part is people running things or being in supervisory roles aren't necessarily tech savvy, and sometimes they genuinely have no idea about what our jobs entail. they have a general sense, but don't understand how that actually looks/what our taskload is/etc. a lot of them learned how to be in their role, assuming they did, at a time when email and texting and slack weren't the norm. but, they're also often unwavering in their position on those things, too. they still see spending time on the computer as farting around playing games (but now they kiiiiiind of accept the PC as long as they can see a spreadsheet, and the phone is the new devil)