[Article] Article: super sweet credit card deal with southwest, especially if you fly with a partner

http://uselessforums.com/content.php?23-the-bluebird

1. Sign up for free Bluebird card
2. Go to CVS, buy $2000 in Vanilla Reload cards
3. Load Bluebird
4. Use Bluebird billpay to pay off the credit card

Well, shit! That couldn't be much easier. Imma 'bout to buy a $3200 leather sectional this weekend. We just got 15% off at Haverty's at work which will save me $480 so that would almost make the couch free! After I dump the cheap Ikea leather couches I have on CL I would almost break even. When I get down to St. Pete in June I owe you guys some drinks! :cheers:

I still don't get. I don't understand why I don't still get it. :lol:

1. Sign up for the credit card with miles deals.
1a. Sing up for a free bluebird card.
2. Go to CVS, but $2000 in vanilla reload cards with the credit card you just got.
3. Use the vanilla reload cards to put the money on your new bluebird card.
4. Use the bluebird card to pay off the credit card that you bought the vanilla reload cards on.
5. Travel to Florida
6. .....
7. Profit.

It's cause Fly missed a couple step.

I guess I don't see how it saves me money? I still have fork over 2k. I guess the free trip is the savings? #dumb

Yes, but you use the bluebird card to pay bills like rent or mortgage or whatever that you'd have to pay anyway. This may not work for you as you live at home, right? The idea is to get around the thing where most billing departments don't take credit cards.

I guess I don't see how it saves me money? I still have fork over 2k. I guess the free trip is the savings? #dumb

No you don't, you are essentially paying off the 2k in credit card bills with the 2k on the card. You buy the vanilla reload cards with the 2k on the credit card, then you put the vanilla reload cards in your bluebird account, then you use the bluebird to pay off the 2k. You only have to spend the fee for the reload cards which is like 5 bucks a $500 card or something, fly could confirm.

Finally got the wife's buy off to set this up. Took a while to get her to see that it wasn't money laundering.

Now to get my rewards card in order

When you sign up for new credit cards, sometimes they have bonus for spending XXXX dollars in three months. So if you buy these reload cards from CVS with your new credit card, then immediately pay the credit card off, you get the spending bonus without actually spending anything.

No you don't, you are essentially paying off the 2k in credit card bills with the 2k on the card. You buy the vanilla reload cards with the 2k on the credit card, then you put the vanilla reload cards in your bluebird account, then you use the bluebird to pay off the 2k. You only have to spend the fee for the reload cards which is like 5 bucks a $500 card or something, fly could confirm.
That's where I was confused. I thought you needed to spend the 500 dollars PLUS the fee to get the reload cards.

Fly, What does this do to your credit? Mine could stand to be boosted, and from what I understand if you max out then pay off a credit card very quickly it is not always seen as a positive thing.

Fly, What does this do to your credit? Mine could stand to be boosted, and from what I understand if you max out then pay off a credit card very quickly it is not always seen as a positive thing.

from a guy who looks at credit reports daily, racking it up & paying it all off is NOT a bad thing. It's better if you let the balance float over a month (yes, you pay interest for that month) so it reports that of the $5000 credit limit, you have used $4900 but currently only have a balance of $269. You just don't want to leave it maxed if at all possible.

In fact, 'using' as in carrying a balance of less than 25% of your limit is the best for your score on a long term basis. It shows that you have more resources available to you if needed. (75% or more)

Last edited: