[Article] Article: super sweet credit card deal with southwest, especially if you fly with a partner

from a guy who looks at credit reports daily, racking it up & paying it all off is NOT a bad thing. It's better if you let the balance float over a month (yes, you pay interest for that month) so it reports that of the $5000 credit limit, you have used $4900 but currently only have a balance of $269. You just don't want to leave it maxed if at all possible.

In fact, 'using' as in carrying a balance of less than 25% of your limit is the best for your score on a long term basis. It shows that you have more resources available to you if needed. (75% or more)
I've been thinking about doing this solely to boost my score. I went from 450-710 but it would be nice to be back in the upper 7's like I used to be

keep the balance as low as possible, AND do NOT close old accounts.

Lot's of mort co's tell you to close all unused accounts. Unfortunately a big part of your score is how long your open accounts have been open. these are established accounts that, for whatever reason, you and the lender have maintained for years. You don't want to close these accounts because you can get another acct @ 0%. Your future lending will end up being more costly in the long run.

from a guy who looks at credit reports daily, racking it up & paying it all off is NOT a bad thing. It's better if you let the balance float over a month (yes, you pay interest for that month) so it reports that of the $5000 credit limit, you have used $4900 but currently only have a balance of $269. You just don't want to leave it maxed if at all possible.

In fact, 'using' as in carrying a balance of less than 25% of your limit is the best for your score on a long term basis. It shows that you have more resources available to you if needed. (75% or more)
Interesting.
So, were I to do this with a $2000 limited card I would max it via the bluebird cards, pay all but $500 off and redo every month or so?
Wonder if I could get 'em happy enough with me that they'd boost my credit limit and allow me to pay off everything with free money.

a) there's no free money.

and

b) call the co and ask them directly how they handle raising credit limits. You could be spinning your wheels if that's your ultimate goal. Some have a strict time based policy. It's not like the old days where they throw money around.

Interesting.
So, were I to do this with a $2000 limited card I would max it via the bluebird cards, pay all but $500 off and redo every month or so?
Wonder if I could get 'em happy enough with me that they'd boost my credit limit and allow me to pay off everything with free money.

Just apply for more credit cards. And don't carry a balance. If you have a credit card balance, pay it off before you start monkeying around with this stuff. Thats the best way to earn credit. I probably have at least 20 cards, $100,000+ in available credit, and zero balance. The more credit people give me, the more credit other people seem to want to give me.

Last edited:
so how often do you buy vanilla cards? seems some CVS stores only take cash for them

Yeah, I've heard of that. Neither of the two I go to require payment in cash. Apparently all/most Walgreens do.

And I'm hopefully about to cycle up on VR cards now that I'm done with this Southwest deal. I've got a couple 2% cards and am going to see how this works out.

Last edited:
Air fare! Anywhere really. :) but I can be patient I guess. Find a good offer.

Probably this then.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewf...er-for-american-express-premier-rewards-gold/

The offer is available only through CreditCards.com, as far as I am aware. It’s their referral link. On their site, select “Card Match” and add your information (social security number requested but not required). The top offer displayed for most is this 50,000 point American Express offer.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Is American Express the CC that mandates you to pay in full every month?
It's the one with a high annual fee so you'll want to cancel it by the second year since the first year is free. Unless the benefit way out ways the annual fee... dunno.

Yeah, I've heard of that. Neither of the two I go to require payment in cash. Apparently all/most Walgreens do.

And I'm hopefully about to cycle up on VR cards now that I'm done with this Southwest deal. I've got a couple 2% cards and am going to see how this works out.

hopefully i can find a cvs that sell them and take credit card. need to spend 3.5k for the 3 cards i got this month