[Article] Article: raw feeding

Surely you don't mean Whiskers?

If you do there's a well known reason for that, they put addictive additives in their food so cats will be fussy and only eat that brand. Not surprising coming from a brand like Mars.

Whiskas.

And no, it doesnt. Just because you read a tongue in cheek article on the Telegraph doesnt make it true (citation: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/3638812/Why-will-cats-only-eat-Whiskas.html)

Ingredients list:
Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with BHA/BHT), Natural Poultry Flavor, Wheat Flour, Rice, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Turkey By-Product Meal, Caramel Color, Calcium Carbonate, dl- Methionine, Taurine, Trace Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide), White Fish Meal, Vitamins (dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate [Source of Vitamin E], Folic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement [Vitamin B2], Vitamin D3 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6]), Red 3, Ethoxyquin (A Preservative).

Whiskas.

And no, it doesnt. Just because you read a tongue in cheek article on the Telegraph doesnt make it true (citation: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/3638812/Why-will-cats-only-eat-Whiskas.html)

Ingredients list:
Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with BHA/BHT), Natural Poultry Flavor, Wheat Flour, Rice, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Turkey By-Product Meal, Caramel Color, Calcium Carbonate, dl- Methionine, Taurine, Trace Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide), White Fish Meal, Vitamins (dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate [Source of Vitamin E], Folic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement [Vitamin B2], Vitamin D3 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6]), Red 3, Ethoxyquin (A Preservative).

You know that BHA/BHT preservative is the additive that causes cancer and makes animal hyper, right?

You can tell the food is addictive because cats that get given it won't eat jack shit else.

You know that BHA/BHT preservative is the additive that causes cancer and makes animal hyper, right?

You can tell the food is addictive because cats that get given it won't eat jack shit else.

I didnt say it was good. Its shitty processed food. But its not addictive.

It tastes extra tasty to them because the third ingredient is fat. But if you define fat as addictive, youd better never eat potato chips... errr. crisps.

I didnt say it was good. Its shitty processed food. But its not addictive.

It tastes extra tasty to them because the third ingredient is fat. But if you define fat as addictive, youd better never eat potato chips... errr. crisps.

I'm assuming you're familiar with the salty savoury snack named Pringles?

That being so are you really trying to tell me that they're not addictive?

yes. I am.

Stop making up enemy definitions for words that already have definitions before i stab you.

Pringles are not addictive. The only time I will eat them is when I'm on a long road trip and want to have a snack that I am sure will not spill all over the truck.

I think ive found a solution for nme posts...... threaten to stab her and she stops talking.

Must be all those lack of guns in the UK, it makes knife threats credible. Even on the internet.

I had a cat that loved the shit out of some cooked greenbeans. Those were like crack to it.

I know dogs that eat plastic and like that. Does that mean their plastavores?

Or.....do you want to talk science, seeing as you guys are so keen on it?

Now. very simply:

'Omnivores often are opportunistic, general feeders with neither carnivore nor herbivore specializations for acquiring or processing food, and are capable of consuming and do consume both animal protein and vegetation'

vs.

'A carnivore (pron.: /ˈkɑrnɪvɔər/) meaning 'meat eater' (Latin, carne meaning 'flesh' and vorare meaning 'to devour') is an organism that derives its energy and nutrient requirements from a diet consisting mainly or exclusively of animal tissue, whether through predation or scavenging'

See the difference? What you LIKE eating has no bearing on it (scientifically speaking), what you derive your nutrition from and how you digest either animal products or plans is what counts. Scientifically cats are carnivores. I can't even comprehend how anyone here doesn't know that or is arguing with it. I never even thought I'd encounter people who didn't know that. Jeez.

So...back to the question. Being that cats are carnivores (fact), why do people feed food with things that give them minimal, or no, nutritional benefit at all, and why do they believe pet food manufacturers when they say 'its the best!!!' given the fact that cats are carnivores and therefore the food should be pretty much entirely (if not all) meat or meat derivatives?

It seems like nobody is interested in answering simple questions ITT. :lol:

I think you're preaching to the choir - shit food is shit food, I don't think anyone's disagreeing.

I feed my cats this: http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/cats/dry_food/canyon_river_feline_formula/

... which should provide them with all the nutrition/protein that they need, but they still insist on eating grass, houseplants, garden plants and other "non-cat food". There's gotta be some reason for that...

YOU DON'T FEED THEM ENOUGH. THEY'RE STARVING!!!!!