[Article] Article: raw feeding

A cat's digestive system is the same as any other non-ruminant mammal - the same parts are there that you'll find in a dog, bear, squirrel, or human. There's nothing specific about their digestive system that requires them to be fed meat and only meat - a cat will metabolize any carbohydrate you feed it, whether it's animal fat, oil, starch, gluten, alcohol or refined sugar. Cats are carnivores because they evolved to prey on other things as a means of obtaining their food, not because they evolved to only digest meat.

So the bit of potato or whatever that's in my cat food? It's fine. As long as the cat gets the nutrition that it needs, and it's not being fed so many simple carbs that it throws the cat's blood sugar levels out of whack, then the cat food's doing its job.

How dare you use logic

Got any sources gee?

'Cats are obligate carnivores: their physiology has evolved to efficiently process meat, and they have difficulty digesting plant matter''

I don't really gaf if you want to feed your cat vegetables, but nobody wants to actually answer the question regarding them not being able to digest it properly, nor gaining nutrients they wouldn't get from the actual diet they're designed for.

Not like I expect any rational answers or anything.

:waw:

Last edited:
My source is multiple years of biology studies. I sold all my university bio books, and I'm not about to go back up my facts by spending half an hour on google picking out sites which support my viewpoint - if that method was good for anything, I could prove homeopathy works and the earth is flat. I think I'll put the onus on you to prove me wrong.

Don't mix up your vegetables. I stated cats can digest carbs, including starches (potato, corn, etc) and I stand by that statement. Plant matter on the other hand is a very broad term - grass for example is largely cellulose. Non-ruminants like you/cats/dogs can't break down cellulose properly, and ruminants (cows/horses/etc) have evolved a multi-chambered stomach, different digestive enzymes, cud chewing etc. that allows them to break down cellulose.

My source is multiple years of biology studies. I sold all my university bio books, and I'm not about to go back up my facts by spending half an hour on google picking out sites which support my viewpoint - if that method was good for anything, I could prove homeopathy works and the earth is flat. I think I'll put the onus on you to prove me wrong.

Don't mix up your vegetables. I stated cats can digest carbs, including starches (potato, corn, etc) and I stand by that statement. Plant matter on the other hand is a very broad term - grass for example is largely cellulose. Non-ruminants like you/cats/dogs can't break down cellulose properly, and ruminants (cows/horses/etc) have evolved a multi-chambered stomach, different digestive enzymes, cud chewing etc. that allows them to break down cellulose.

How dare you make logical, well thought out post!

@plot Now that you're back, opinions? Isn't your dad a vet?

He grew up on a farm feeding his dogs raw meat and always said it was better than processed dog food. raw meat does NOT mean table scraps though.

Biggest thing he always said was be consistent, if you go with dog food then always do dog food, otherwise always do fresh meat.

avoid fish, to much mercury. :p

Last edited by a moderator: