All Sarcasm aside

In the legal field college degrees are becoming more and more of a necessity. 5 years ago you could get by as a paralegal on work experience and a demonstrated mastery of English. It was unheard of to have an employer demand a degree of some kind.

Now, however, clients love to refuse payment of fees based on a lack of specialized education, and they won't sign an agreement without that assurance. In other words, they don't want to pay a paralegal $100/hr. if they haven't demonstrated that they at least had the discipline to sit in a classroom for 3 or 4 years. A specialized certification will overcome that obstacle most of the time, though I expect that to change in the next few years too.

And that's all college has ever done: make other people feel comfortable that you aren't a retard.

You don't have to choose, it's not mandatory. I've waited an extra 2 years and now I know what I want to do. It's just that people choose at 18 because they don't think for themselves.

Or because their parents offer to pay if they go to college right away, or because they were offered a scholarship, or because it's the only plan they've got at the time, or because at the time they believe it is the most responsible plan. All people are not as stupid as you believe them to be.

Or because their parents offer to pay if they go to college right away, or because they were offered a scholarship, or because it's the only plan they've got at the time, or because at the time they believe it is the most responsible plan. All people are not as stupid as you believe them to be.

All good excuses. But how many people do you know who went to college at 18 and as soon as they finished the degree realised they hated whatever they chose to do? I worked in a bowling alley once and the guy flipping burgers in there had just finished a Physics degree, said he enjoyed flipping burgers more than Physics nowadays. :lol:

I didn't go to school right away and that's why my parents are not paying for my schooling, but they are for my sibilings. I just was not ready and I still am not ready.

:hay:

I don't dislike you, and boards are certainly for "banter" but sometimes (and I think we've discussed this before) you post things that make no sense, and I think you KNOW they make no sense, but you post them anyway. and then people refute your claims and you're like "oh well, i was wrong." LOL

In the legal field college degrees are becoming more and more of a necessity. 5 years ago you could get by as a paralegal on work experience and a demonstrated mastery of English. It was unheard of to have an employer demand a degree of some kind.

Now, however, clients love to refuse payment of fees based on a lack of specialized education, and they won't sign an agreement without that assurance. In other words, they don't want to pay a paralegal $100/hr. if they haven't demonstrated that they at least had the discipline to sit in a classroom for 3 or 4 years. A specialized certification will overcome that obstacle most of the time, though I expect that to change in the next few years too.

And that's all college has ever done: make other people feel comfortable that you aren't a retard.
I've heard of a few laywers doing paralegal level work in this area, that explains why.

:hay:

I don't dislike you, and boards are certainly for "banter" but sometimes (and I think we've discussed this before) you post things that make no sense, and I think you KNOW they make no sense, but you post them anyway. and then people refute your claims and you're like "oh well, i was wrong." LOL

I've never heard Enemy state 'she was wrong'. I've only seen her argue things to the point of head in the wall banging being the only release.

an undergrad degree is pretty much worthless these days...there, I said it...a masters gets you the respect walking in the door that an undergrad degree got you 30 years ago

It's still an absolute requirement for a lot of jobs, mainly in the public sector I think, but I agree with you for the private sector.

I always laugh when I see job postings for similar jobs to mine and they say "must have BSCS or equivalent, MSCS preferred". :fly: