Thread All new 2019 Super Duper Sperm thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engineering hubris was the cause of this. "We designed the bridge right! it's fine even though the cracks going through it are expanding! it's safe I swear! Because it'll hurt our pride if we admit this bridge is fucked!"

The dead/injured construction folks aren't to blame, they're just techs that were following the orders of the engineers telling them what to do, they deserve compensation just like the rest of them.
Sadly the construction workers families (of those who croak) will receive the very least. Workers comp death benefit is limited to $150k in FL, about 3.5-4 years of those guys pay at best. Car drivers - could be 20-50 years equivalent. I know, that is grim as fuck, just sayin. I have to ponder and explain this shit several times a week.

I wonder if the families can file a wrongful death lawsuit. Or negligent homicide.

It would be something civil, not criminal, and by the time they got done arguing about how much to blame who for what the lawyers would be buying private islands and the families might be able to pay off a car note.

I wonder if the families can file a wrongful death lawsuit. Or negligent homicide.
Not the construction workers. Limited to worker's comp. The 1%, they love insurance. Between car insurance and workers comp they've covered 95% of accidental deaths with a user paid system. Making money while the sun shines . .

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
It would be something civil, not criminal, and by the time they got done arguing about how much to blame who for what the lawyers would be buying private islands and the families might be able to pay off a car note.
Well, the lawyer would get about 1/3 of what an individual got. But yeah, in some cases the lawyer will have several clients. Some clients are worth more than others. What? I know, it sucks but that's reality.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Not the construction workers. Limited to worker's comp. The 1%, they love insurance. Between car insurance and workers comp they've covered 95% of accidental deaths with a user paid system. Making money while the sun shines . .

That’s a stupid rule. If an employer is grossly negligent resulting in multiple employee deaths and injuries, the rules of workers comp need to be set aside.

The employer isn't necessarily negligent here, it's the main fault of the EOR and his allowance that work be continued despite a premature failure in a stressed member. At that point it should have been shut down.

If UPS has a driver, with a previously clean record, mow through a crowd of people then UPS gets to pay out settlements but UPS shouldnt be negligent as they checked on the driver's record beforehand and vetted them

If UPS has a driver, with a previously clean record, mow through a crowd of people then UPS gets to pay out settlements but UPS shouldnt be negligent as they checked on the driver's record beforehand and vetted them

Didn’t Tracy Morgan sue Walmart over an accident? I think Walmart paid a settlement over an accident that an employee caused. I’ll have to Google, but can’t at the moment.

Didn’t Tracy Morgan sue Walmart over an accident? I think Walmart paid a settlement over an accident that an employee caused. I’ll have to Google, but can’t at the moment.
The employee was on the tail end of a 14 hour shift or something like that, and fell asleep behind the wheel

I know that’s a slightly different case (not worker’s compensation) but employers are definitely responsible for employee’s actions, intentional or not.

I thought UPS was doing the "gig economy" thing and making all their drivers independent contractors to release them from liability for things like that.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I know that’s a slightly different case (not worker’s compensation) but employers are definitely responsible for employee’s actions, intentional or not.
Yes, the people in the cars,etc. can sue the fuck out of the employer for the actions of their employees. The employees cannot sue their employer for the fuck-ups of their co-workers. Or themselves. :p

The employer isn't necessarily negligent here, it's the main fault of the EOR and his allowance that work be continued despite a premature failure in a stressed member. At that point it should have been shut down.
I read through the big report on the bridge over the weekend. Ugh.

They had cold joints where the truss members met the bridge deck, because they forgot to grind/abrade/whatever the surface off the deck before casting the truss members on the second pour. The drawings didn't show it being necessary, apparently the builder was supposed to know they were supposed to do it to meet some government regulation, but in any case it didn't get done and nobody noticed it didn't get done.

End result was a joint that couldn't handle the shear force that the truss member was putting on the joint, and the crack began at that joint. The rebar in the joint was probably the only thing keeping the joint from shearing apart the moment they laid the bridge on its supports. When they re-tensioned the joint in an attempt to close the crack (yes, because if a major failure isn't visible, it goes away? what the fuck) that put even more shear force on the compromised joint and it let go.

Again, pure hubris on the part of the engineers (or EOR, or whatever) who didn't want to admit the bridge was fucked because it would hurt their pride or some shit.

Most of the engineering failures that are shown in engineering ethics courses (Hyatt walkway collapse, Therac-25, Quebec Bridge, etc) are the result of 'incompetent failure' - a bad decision got made on the design side, and a failure happened as a result. This engineering failure is worse than all of those, IMO - they had an obvious failure sitting there right in front of them, and decided to carry out steps to hide that failure.

Yes, the people in the cars,etc. can sue the fuck out of the employer for the actions of their employees. The employees cannot sue their employer for the fuck-ups of their co-workers. Or themselves. :p

I would think a disaster brought about by such negligence could open up other ways for the suing to be okay. What about the relatives of the dead workers? Surely they can sue.

Keep in mind, I hate lawsuits because so many are just bullshit. I refused to sue the employer I was working for because nobody was at fault, even though so many laypersons around me said to. I would’ve just been adding to the problem that bothers me.

I would think a disaster brought about by such negligence could open up other ways for the suing to be okay. What about the relatives of the dead workers? Surely they can sue.
No. Not beyond worker's comp.(checked FL law, basically same as Michigan). Most a widow/widower/orphaned children is getting is $150k. That's it.
People in vehicles on highway. Millions each.
I know, that doesn't seem fair. It isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.